PDA

View Full Version : Bang for the buck.. Tower speakers

Monte
10-25-2007, 11:36 AM
All of you who know me know that I like a good deal.. And I am pretty cheap.. I am looking to add some tower speakers. I am looking for input for Santa.. Fleabay has tons of options, but I don't want to spend good money on piece of junk.. I guess I need to know what to stay away from, what is a good brand, and what a good price would be.. Any help will be much appreciated..

KnoxX2
10-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I would go with Fusion. You have seen them on my boat. Call me!

Monte
10-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I would go with Fusion. You have seen them on my boat. Call me!

Calling:cool:

hkyplyr31
10-25-2007, 02:17 PM
I am pretty happy with the MOMO's that I got from www.audioformz.com (http://www.audioformz.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?search=action&category=WAKE&keywords=all) but they are kind of pricey... I see that they are selling some kicker's with enclosures for a decent price. Also, remember that the 6x9's are about twice as loud as the 6.5'' rounds.

Check their store on eBay.

tex
10-25-2007, 02:20 PM
http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=71&cat=Speaker%20Cans

JBaker
10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I am pretty happy with the MOMO's that I got from www.audioformz.com (http://www.audioformz.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe?search=action&category=WAKE&keywords=all) but they are kind of pricey... I see that they are selling some kicker's with enclosures for a decent price. Also, remember that the 6x9's are about twice as loud as the 6.5'' rounds.

Check their store on eBay.

Under the premise that factory JLs would be too expensive, I would HIGHLY recommend the MOMOs and audioformz makes very good enclosures. You could purchase an unloaded enclosure from them and load it with whatever speaker you choose.

prostar205
10-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Monte72 -

The first question to answer when purchasing tower speakers is: "What are there intended use?" Do you want your rider to be able to hear them at 60-80 feet behind the boat with any type of clarity? If so, the only type of speakers you should be looking at would be the Horn Loaded Compression Drivers or HDLC commonly refered to as Pro Audio. There are several manufactures of Pro Audio wakeboard speaker setups:

Wetsounds
NVS
HSE Trident

If you want clean, crisp, clear sound while hanging around the back of the boat and don't care to project the sound back to the rider, then car audio speakers work great.

76S&S
10-25-2007, 02:47 PM
PS205 can you explain the "Pro Audio" a little more. I've looked at the Wetsounds (pricey) and notice that they handle a lot more wattage. Is this due to the design, HDLC or are they just a better built speaker.

I'm asking because I want to attempt building some custom enclosures and aren't sure what type/brand of speakers to look for.

Monte
10-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Monte72 -

The first question to answer when purchasing tower speakers is: "What are there intended use?" Do you want your rider to be able to hear them at 60-80 feet behind the boat with any type of clarity? If so, the only type of speakers you should be looking at would be the Horn Loaded Compression Drivers or HDLC commonly refered to as Pro Audio. There are several manufactures of Pro Audio wakeboard speaker setups:

Wetsounds
NVS
HSE Trident

If you want clean, crisp, clear sound while hanging around the back of the boat and don't care to project the sound back to the rider, then car audio speakers work great.

The main use will be for the rider to hear the music. I have four Kicker 6x9's in the boat now.

Thanks for the rest of the info..

Wake_USF
10-25-2007, 02:52 PM
I can get you Infinity tower speakers for around $380 (I think) through my job.

Monte
10-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I can get you Infinity tower speakers for around $380 (I think) through my job.

Is that per speaker or per pair??? hmmmm

prostar205
10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
PS205 can you explain the "Pro Audio" a little more. I've looked at the Wetsounds (pricey) and notice that they handle a lot more wattage. Is this due to the design, HDLC or are they just a better built speaker.

I'm asking because I want to attempt building some custom enclosures and aren't sure what type/brand of speakers to look for.

Pro Audio setups are more like the speakers you see and hear at concerts. They are designed to project sound far distances as compared to car audio speakers which are designed to throw sound only a few feet. Think about it - when you are in your car, you are never more than a few feet away from the speakers.

prostar205
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Is that per speaker or per pair??? hmmmm

Monte72 -

I am seriously thinking about selling my 4 MC OEM tower speakers this upcoming spring - if I can come up with the cash for a Pro Audio setup. Last spring (May 2007), I installed Polk Momo MMC6500 component speakers in my '04 MC OEM tower cans. They sound 100% better than the stock Clarion speakers. If you are interested, we may be able to make a deal.

Monte
10-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Monte72 -

I am seriously thinking about selling my 4 MC OEM tower speakers this upcoming spring - if I can come up with the cash for a Pro Audio setup. Last spring (May 2007), I installed Polk Momo MMC6500 component speakers in my '04 MC OEM tower cans. They sound 100% better than the stock Clarion speakers. If you are interested, we may be able to make a deal.

You've got mail

hkyplyr31
10-25-2007, 03:31 PM
one thing to remember, the MOMO's sound like crap if they are under powered... you need at least 50 watts (RMS) to run them so you cant run them from a stock deck.

Monte
10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
one thing to remember, the MOMO's sound like crap if they are under powered... you need at least 50 watts (RMS) to run them so you cant run them from a stock deck.

I have an older alpine 2 X 200 amp. Think that will work??

76S&S
10-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Sorry for the threadjack, but what options are there for Pro Audio and where are they available? Can you buy speakers only and not the cans?

hkyplyr31
10-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I have an older alpine 2 X 200 amp. Think that will work??

That is more than enough, the MMC650 (6.5'') is rated at 80 watts RMS. I just wanted to make sure you were not going to run them off a deck. I tried it when I got the speakers (before the amp arrived) and it was not pretty.

prostar205
10-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Sorry for the threadjack, but what options are there for Pro Audio and where are they available? Can you buy speakers only and not the cans?

Wetsounds (www.wetsounds.com)
NVS (www.nvs1.net)
HSE Trident (www.hsetrident.com)
Skylon Rubicon 450s (www.skylon.com)

KevenAtWakeUSF
10-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Yeah for the pair, called the 6000m or somethinglike that. Ill have to look it up next time I work.

tbd01
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I have the wet sounds pro 485 and two pro 60's by far the best speakers I have heard, once you have them you will forget about the price, everybody that rides behind my boat compliment about the sound before anything else.

JoshBuzz
10-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I can probably get you 25% off and of the speakers on www.wake-space.com!! holla if ya need anything!! I can get 25% off pretty much anything here!!

x-10ron
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
http://www.mtx.com/marine/
I recently bought a set of The MTX 6502wb, have yet to install!!
Price was right 300. a pair at buy.com

JBaker
10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
If this thread has officially been jacked then I think we need to clear up some of these pro audio myths. Speakers aren't designed to project to a given distance. They can be designed with SPL levels in mind which in turn allow sound to be heard at a greater distance. Horn drivers are used in professional sound reinforcement (concerts) because they produce extremely high volumes. They are not frequently used in car audio or home audio set ups for a few reasons. Primarily, horn drivers produce frequencies in a very narrow bandwidth, so you lose a considerable amount of frequencies that are produced through traditional cone speakers. This is why horns have to be used in conjunction with traditional cone drivers during pro audio set ups. The second is sound quality. Horn drivers usually have extremely high distortion.

A lot of audiophiles loathe horns, but at least in one respect prostar25 is correct. If your goal is to have the rider hear it, horns could be a good way to go. After all, there is already going to be high levels of distortion given all the ambient noise and the frequencies that horns excel at are both human vocals and the most sensitive frequencies to the human ear. But a huge consideration needs to be how you are going to power them? These horn driver manufacturers boast outrageous power handling specs, which are great except that it is virtually impossible to get 300W+ RMS per driver from 12 volts. Think about the current draw. It would be absolutely outrageous. You would need a pickup truck full of batteries and fire hoses for power wire.

JohnE
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Can everyone get back on the OP? Monte wants "bang for the buck" not "bang".:D

Just kidding.

Some good info there JBaker.

hkyplyr31
10-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I think you would still get the same amount of sound (per watt) out of the MOMO's that you would from some of the more expensive "pro-audio" it just happens that the pro stuff draws about 3 to 4 times the power of the MOMO's. I can hear my system when I wakeboard, and I only have a set of 6.5" on the tower. I am thinking about upgrading and adding a set of 6x9's and a second amp, it would be nice to fill the tower out a little more and get a little more volume to the wake boarder (right now it is just ok, but there is always room for improvement).

Monte
10-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Monte wants "bang for the buck" not "bang".:D

That does bring up a valid point.. I don't need to be the loudest guy on the lake or have the most thump.. I want a soild sound for a decent price.. I would like to hear it while I'm riding.. That's all I'm after..;) :cool:

Thanks everybody for the links and insight I am looking at everything..

Dayum a brutha could spend some $$$, I knew some could get expensive, but :eek3:

hkyplyr31
10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Dayum a brutha could spend some $$$, I knew some could get expensive, but :eek3:

I have been told many times that a boat is just a hole in a lake that you throw money into.

prostar205
10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
I think you would still get the same amount of sound (per watt) out of the MOMO's that you would from some of the more expensive "pro-audio" it just happens that the pro stuff draws about 3 to 4 times the power of the MOMO's. I can hear my system when I wakeboard, and I only have a set of 6.5" on the tower. I am thinking about upgrading and adding a set of 6x9's and a second amp, it would be nice to fill the tower out a little more and get a little more volume to the wake boarder (right now it is just ok, but there is always room for improvement).

What is your setup on the tower? You're running only 2 - 6.5" speakers on the tower and you can hear them 50-70 feet behind the boat? How much power are you pushing thru them?

I have 4 - brand new Polk Mono MMC6500 component speakers on my OEM MC cans that are running off a KX850.4 (90W RMS per channel at 12.5V) and I can barely hear them. I think alot of my problem is my engine make a considerable amount of noise (L-18, 496 ci big block).

magnum
10-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Why are the original speakers so expensive, My brother was quoted $1800 for a pair of the MC speakers , are there other options out there that look like OEM speakers

ShamrockIV
10-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Can anyone suggest a good setup just to hear the music in the boat? thanks!!! om me with ideas!!!

prostar205
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Why are the original speakers so expensive, My brother was quoted $1800 for a pair of the MC speakers , are there other options out there that look like OEM speakers

That is a great question. The current MC OEM tower speakers use JL M770-TCS. From ebay, these speakers run about $300 per pair. The cans are very expensive as well. As for alternates that use these exact same speakers, there is a company out there selling them. Their name is Luckydevildesigns (www.luckydevildesigns.com). A pair of tower speakers with the JL componet speakers run about $800 per pair. They don't have the integrated lights in them and, in my opinion, don't look as good as the OEM MC stuff, but the MC stuff is almost 2x of their price.

rwoznock
10-26-2007, 03:07 PM
One thing I have learned about stereo systems is how much money do you want to spend? Do you want very high quality where price is no option or something affordable that sounds pretty good. You have to remember your placing these speakers in a pretty much wide open enviornment so what I would try to do is buy something with a high SPL or sound pressure level @ 1 watt rating. (90 - 91) This is listed for most speakers in the specification chart. I just put in a system in my 96 Maristar that contains the 4 Kenwood 6 1/2 coaxials, a 12" Sony sub, and I have a pair of polk MOMO's in cans I purchased from DIYwake.com on my tower. I have a Rockford fosgate 400 II driving the 4 KW 6 1/2 in the boat and a 12 in Sony Sub. Then a Rockford 160aII driving the Polk MOMO's. I use an Alpine Head unit with an Ipod plug on it so I can listen to tunes from it instead of messing with CD's. I can tell you it's definately not audiophile quality, but it most definately sounds pretty good. I have had many complements on it since it was installed. I also have been told by all (some even under 25) who have wakeboarded off my boat that the MOMO's sound awesome back there. With the Rockford Fosgate amp they definately play pretty loud. When we anchor, we have people 70 to 80 feet away yelling to me to turn it up louder so they can hear it better! Only problem with that is we get blasted partying in the boat. I know there is lots of stuff out there to choose from but IMO for the tower speakers, the POLK MOMO's are hard to beat!

hkyplyr31
10-26-2007, 10:04 PM
What is your setup on the tower? You're running only 2 - 6.5" speakers on the tower and you can hear them 50-70 feet behind the boat? How much power are you pushing thru them?

I have 4 - brand new Polk Mono MMC6500 component speakers on my OEM MC cans that are running off a KX850.4 (90W RMS per channel at 12.5V) and I can barely hear them. I think alot of my problem is my engine make a considerable amount of noise (L-18, 496 ci big block).

Yes, I only have the 2 6.5" MMC650 powered by 80 watts (running at 4 ohms) and I can hear my music from the boat at 60'. It isnít overly loud, but it is clear. I am hoping that with the addition of the 6x9's will make it a little louder. You might want to try and get a little more power to the 6500's (they are rated at up to 125 watts). But yes, I am using an 88 PS 190 with the ford 351 so I am sure that your motor is quite a bit louder than mine.