PDA

View Full Version : Boat Registration (Michigan/Illinois)

YooperScott
10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
I need to go ahead and register my boat (got it in August so yes I know i'm "late"). Here's the deal, I live in Illinois but my boat essentially lives in Michigan. Therefore technically I need to register it in Michigan anyways I believe, but i'm sure I could get away with either. In Illinois there is a 6.25% sales tax even on a used boat. Does anyone know what (if any) there is in Michigan? That right there may very well determine which state it gets registered in. I looked briefly on the internet and suprisingly did not see the answer. Surely someone on here knows about Michigan?

Thanks,
Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

Prostar Rich
10-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I need to go ahead and register my boat (got it in August so yes I know i'm "late"). Here's the deal, I live in Illinois but my boat essentially lives in Michigan. Therefore technically I need to register it in Michigan anyways I believe, but i'm sure I could get away with either. In Illinois there is a 6.25% sales tax even on a used boat. Does anyone know what (if any) there is in Michigan? That right there may very well determine which state it gets registered in. I looked briefly on the internet and suprisingly did not see the answer. Surely someone on here knows about Michigan?

Thanks,
Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

Scott,

Several years ago I purchased a used PWC from a private party in IL. I use the PWC at my lake house in WI. At that time IL had no sales tax on boat sales between private parties. Has this changed or did you purchase the boat through a dealer?

Prostar Rich

YooperScott
10-25-2007, 11:40 AM
It changed September 2004 in Illinois.

I called Michigan Secretary of State and the tax there is 6% (again, ouch). Also to get a trailer plate you need a "title" for the trailer or else have the trailer weighed (of course that is a problem as 1- the boat is 400 miles from me, and 2- the boat has to be off the trailer in order to weigh the trailer). I am hoping there is some easier way around this? Is there a sticker on the trailer with a "weight" or anywhere in Mastercraft documentation stating the weight? I'm tempted to skip the plate as I drive less than 1 mile on an EXTREMELY low travelled road to the boat ramp and back. Problem of course is when I actually have to go somewhere with it.

Thanks,
Scott

ski36short
10-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Scott, I've never heard of the trailer having to be weighed but I guess mine have always had titles. It is going to be a $75 permanent trailer plate though. Maybe someone here with a trailer for a 190 knows their trailer weight and can just tell you? When we went to the permanent trailer plate a couple years ago I was in the same situation - the trailer logged about 5 miles per year so I never updated it. I still see the old non-permanent trailer plates so you wouldn't be alone if you skipped that part. No getting around the 6% though.

TMCNo1
10-25-2007, 01:12 PM
I would suggest using 750 lbs. for the trailer weight for a single axle and 900 lbs for tandem.

Mikey
10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
It changed September 2004 in Illinois.

I called Michigan Secretary of State and the tax there is 6% (again, ouch).

Im just curious, is 6% considered high?:confused:

Down in Louisiana depending which parrish you are in I have seen the sales tax anywhere from 8% to 9%. That is why all of my vehicles are registered in MI.(well, and becuase MI does not require a state inspection sticker) I am happy to only pay 6%. I though it was low.

Also, where in the U.P. do you go?

YooperScott
10-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Well 6% is high when prior to Sept 04 in Illinois there was no tax on a used boat. I guess I just have a general problem with things getting taxed over and over and over and over and then listening to how the government does not have money. Off that soap box now.

Anyways, the lady I talked to on the phone at Michigan Secretary of State office said you had to have a title (I bought the boat from a guy in Wisconsin and they seem to basically not care about trailers at all) or a weight. I am guessing if I had a picture of the GVR on the trailer (I assume there is a sticker with that) and the fact that Mastercraft says the boat weighs 2450 in the manual that I can prove the trailer is less than 2499 pounds which is the cutoff to the next price level of plate. I can only assume that is what they care about and anything reasonable showing that it is obviously less than a 2499 pound trailer should suffice?

Mikey, my family has a place in Marquette county.

Scott

Mikey
10-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Mikey, my family has a place in Marquette county.

Scott

Ive spent alot of time in Marquette County. I grew up in the neighboring Baraga County. :cool:

Prostar in Michigain
10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
we live in illinois and we register all our boats(pontoon,pwc,MC) all in MI and that is just where our summer house is.

cbryan70
10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
In illinois to register it it is only based on single and tandem axel trailers. At least that is how we register them where i work. We charge a fee of 95 dollers for a single ax and im sure we are taking a small fee for titling it. In wisconson they title the trailer based on weight and if the trailer is under 3000 pounds it doesnt need a license plate. Wouldnt that be nice. Not sure about michigan tho