PDA

View Full Version : Need your help on X45 vs X15

Jet
10-23-2007, 11:11 PM
We have had our 2007 X15 since last May and are very pleased with it. But, when winterizing time came, I started thinking about getting a 2008 X45.

Principal reason is to have more stability in the water in choppy conditions as we boat on Lake St-Louis near Montreal which is a pretty big lake. My youngest is 6 and she has been afraid at times last summer in windy conditions.

But what I gain in stability in choppy waters, I am afraid I will lose in a more difficult handling because of the size of the boat. We usually are 5-7 in the boat and do wakeboarding, tubing and starting to surf.

I would like to have your input to help me make my decision.

Thanks,

groovyone789
10-24-2007, 01:06 AM
We're on a pretty busy lake too. Just bought the X-45 hoping for a nice ride. Came from a cobalt. The x45 is the closest comparison to the Cobalt ride-wise, and it definitely feels bigger. We'll see this coming summer how it goes. It did handle the rough awesome when we test-drove it, it was pretty calm then though.

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-24-2007, 10:17 PM
While your at it take a look at the X30. I also came out of a Cobalt drove both the 45 & 30. I looked at the 15, but it was to small, the 45 to big & I'm still a pointy bow boater. There are a bunch of new 07 30's for sale out there so getting a good deal should be easy since the X35 is comming soon. Also take a look at investing in a Garmin 378 or 478 with XM weather it's a great tool to keep out of the storms with. MC makes a mount that fits these units without drilling any mounting holes.

JoshBuzz
10-24-2007, 11:19 PM
definitely check out the X-30! I've rode behind the 45 before, and it throws a nice wake, and of course is a nice boat!! I prefer the X-30, it's a perfect cross-over in size between the 15 and 45, and though the new X-35 coming out is much better, IMO, The 30 is an awesome boat, and I'm sure you'd get a great price!!

as far as pointed bow boating goes, we've got a Maristar 225 that's pointed bow, and it's amazing!! If you're looking for a pointed bow, check out a couple of the new Maristars, maybe the 230!!

In short, the X-30 has the best overall, IMO!!

:D

Jet
10-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks guys for your input, will definitely check out the X30 but there does not seem to be that much difference between the X30 and the X15 in terms of size.

What about this X35, when is it coming out ?

Please keep the input coming, I need more.

JoshBuzz
10-25-2007, 01:12 AM
The 35 comes out next year, I think, or later on this year, and is comparable to the 30, but bigger!!

IMO, if money's no deal, hold out for the 35!!

The 30 was my favorite MC til I saw the 35!!

either way, you win!!

I think the 30 has plenty space, for me at least, but the 35 definitely has more!!

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Get an X15 next to a 30 and size difference becomes easy to see. The bow area is much bigger, the 30 is wider and taller rear storage on either side of the engine is much begger. The 30 is about 500 lbs heaver too. A friend of mine has an X15 which I drive from time to time. Compaired to the 30, the 15 has a sportier feel to it and it's a bit more nimble, but in chop and all day outings the 30 is much more comfortable. I'll pass on the 35, I think it's going to be to deck boatish for me and there is no rear walk thru. Good luck and go drive a 30, 45,&15 then make your mind up.

rstitson
10-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I have an x-15 and want to pose a question. I have noticed significant flex at the window walk through under rough conditions. I was in ~ 4ft waves on lake champlain with my two grown boys and wife up front close to the windshield as spray was significant. Speed as slow as possible but fast enough to keep the bow up. Ended up with the window falling part way through the window walkway and getting stuck. My son had to pop it back out. Was a distraction while tending to the navigation. Granted it was into the waves dead on, but slow. It did take a pounding. By experience would you consider that normal. I have noticed some minimal movement in small chop also. Also any advice besides not being out when keeping bow up. Not as easy as in our stern drive. Would loading ballast help the pounding an attitude? I have been reasonably happy with the sea worthy capability of the x-15. But I am sure the x-45 and x-30 would give you more. Originally I was intent on getting an x-30 but when showed the x-15 decided it was enough for us.... but any boat has it's limits

TX.X-30 fan
10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I always fill the center bag for riding, especially when there is chop.

sand2snow22
10-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I always fill the center bag for riding, especially when there is chop.

If I filled my center bag, I'd be taking water over the bow!! :o

badams
10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
As a previous owner of an X45 I can tell you it will take on pretty big water with no problem. I looked at both boats before buying my X45 and the X30 and the X45 are the same boat from the windshield to the transom. The only difference is the bow. The X45 is not a difficult boat to manuver if you already have experience with an inboard boat. Either boat would be a great option but I will say the X45 has quite a bit more room because of the bow. We had as many as 13 people in the boat at one time and no one ever felt crowded.

jlf
10-31-2007, 11:18 AM
I have an x-15 and want to pose a question. I have noticed significant flex at the window walk through under rough conditions. I was in ~ 4ft waves on lake champlain with my two grown boys and wife up front close to the windshield as spray was significant. Speed as slow as possible but fast enough to keep the bow up. Ended up with the window falling part way through the window walkway and getting stuck. My son had to pop it back out. Was a distraction while tending to the navigation. Granted it was into the waves dead on, but slow. It did take a pounding. By experience would you consider that normal. I have noticed some minimal movement in small chop also. Also any advice besides not being out when keeping bow up. Not as easy as in our stern drive. Would loading ballast help the pounding an attitude? I have been reasonably happy with the sea worthy capability of the x-15. But I am sure the x-45 and x-30 would give you more. Originally I was intent on getting an x-30 but when showed the x-15 decided it was enough for us.... but any boat has it's limitsWe keep 500lbs of ballast in the bow at all times, seems to help keep the bow down, especially in the chop and we've never taken water over the bow yet.

Jet
10-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Went out last week with my dealer and drove both the X30 2007 and an X45 2007.

Liked both, for sure the X45 handled chop even handling a tug boat waves. Liked the X30 as well.

Problem is, I felt that the X45 is too big to manoeuver in tight spots, locks and for wakeboarding.

So, right now, I am looking at the X30 2008 or changing for another X15 2008.

Still thinking about it. Rstitson, your comments are making me go towards the X30 as I have experienced heavy chop as well, but no flex issue.

JoshBuzz
10-31-2007, 10:59 PM
X-30 always wins!!

:D

Vern Swieringa
11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
This summer we switched from a '03 230 to an '06 245. There is a huge difference in big water (that is why we switched). We boat a lot on Lake Michigan and we felt much safer in 3' waves this summer. However, we took in some major league water from bow dives too. The 245 is not any better than the 230 when confronting a 3 footer, before getting planed out. This only happened coming in and out of the channel where the waves are fierce on windy days and there is a no wake zone.

Benny Boy
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
rstitson wrote: By experience would you consider that normal? Let's say that in 4 foot chop, it's comprehensible. Not normal, but a MC boat is not a cruiser and will hit hard in that type of wake. Where do live on Champlain Lake?

Benny Boy
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Anyways, all you need is a PS197. It will go through anything!

BrianM
11-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Key word here being "through". :rolleyes:

Jet
11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Vern,

What do you do with your 245 ? Do you wakeboard ? Is the 245 a lot more difficult to handle in tight turns than the 230 ?

ProTour X9
11-01-2007, 03:20 PM

190 would probably be better considering the closed bow;)