PDA

View Full Version : The Wakeboard and Water Sports Club of University of South Florida Needs your help!!!

Wake_USF
10-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Hey guys, The wakeboard and water sports club at USF is trying to rebuild a Chevy 350 motor for a 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 190 Ski Boat. If you have any stuff laying around which you could donate in exchange for some advertising (we compete across the state, community service, and we are all over campus) or just for a good cause we would greatly appreciate it. Pretty much any stock stuff we could use(or maybe aftermarket??) because there is alot of unknowns about this motor we had donated to us. Stuff like starters, dizzys, random bolts, carb stuff, etc etc. Also any knowledge as some of our members have rebuilt car motors but marine engines are kind of new ground. below is a picture of the boat as it sits now. New interior just went in yesterday now all we need is a Motor, tranny, gauges, electrical, and to fix what we think is a cracked stringer (pics to come). ideas on how to fix the stringer are also appreciated.

were always looking for sponsorships. sponsors will get their name on, depending upon donation, the boat, t-shirts, and website. any help is greatly appreciated. We currently have 290 members and are very active in national competitions as well as active in the community.

for more information check out our web site at www.wakeusf.com

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/teal_Deal/PICT2762.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/teal_Deal/DSC01153.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/teal_Deal/allboat1.jpg

Jerseydave
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Good for you guys! Boat looks great, wish I had something to donate.

You should try your local MC dealer for help, or even a local auto repair facility.

Is this your only boat with 290 members??? That might be a little tough. :D

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Hey wake, have y'all had your nationals qualifier yet?? We had ours last weekend in Texas, and we got second, so we'll be at nationals!!

Hope to see y'all there!!!

KnoxX2
10-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I would like to help but I don't think I have any thing for a 190. Maybe Jim at BAWS can help you out?

JLeuck64
10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Check into local Community Colleges in your area that have automotive programs. You may even be able to find a training program specifically designed for marine mechanics that would be willing to help out.
Good luck

Wake_USF
10-23-2007, 10:27 PM
njskier:
this is our only boat for that many people and it doesnt even run!!! we spend a lot of time at OWC (cable park) and riding behind members boats.

JoshBuzz:
for some reason ours got pushed to Nov. 10 so we'll see then but we have some tough competition from UCF and UF and Rollins. We do have the strongest team ever so were hoping for a good showing.

KnoxX2: i think we are in the process of talking with him.

JLeuck64: ill have to look into that and see if theres anything like that around here. thanks.

If any buddy knows of any companies that are looking to sponsor a club like ours please send them my way. USF doesn't like to give us too much money so any help is greatly appreciated. If any one needs to get a hold of me directly you can email me at tstaab@mail.usf.edu. thanks again guys!

Monte
10-23-2007, 10:35 PM
What does the boat do when You try to start it?? Is it money ya'll need, or just to get the boat rideable.. we can help with the rideable part...

uawaterskier
10-23-2007, 10:38 PM
dang 290 members? How do yall get practice time as team with that many club members?!?! We have ~25 team members and maybe ~35 club members. Even then everyone complains about not skiing enough.

Wake_USF
10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
right now there is no motor or tranny in the boat right now. really theres nothing in the boat besides a fresh interior. The previous club members trashed it. we currently have 2 350's and one tranny sittig in our storage shed. we are kind of piecing it back together. we should be trying to turn over the fresher of the 2 motors by fri. The cracked stringer is also a big concern. pics of that should be up tmr. help to get it any closer to ridable would be great.

we have 290 members but of that only about 50-60 ish are active on a consistent basis. the club is a free club and we encourage all skill levels to come out with us. The actually team is about 15-20 kids and most of them live locally and have their own boats anyways. the more the marrier!!!

Farmer Ted
10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
njskier:
this is our only boat for that many people and it doesnt even run!!! we spend a lot of time at OWC (cable park) and riding behind members boats.

JoshBuzz:
for some reason ours got pushed to Nov. 10 so we'll see then but we have some tough competition from UCF and UF and Rollins. We do have the strongest team ever so were hoping for a good showing.

KnoxX2: i think we are in the process of talking with him.

JLeuck64: ill have to look into that and see if theres anything like that around here. thanks.

If any buddy knows of any companies that are looking to sponsor a club like ours please send them my way. USF doesn't like to give us too much money so any help is greatly appreciated. If any one needs to get a hold of me directly you can email me at tstaab@mail.usf.edu. thanks again guys!

I'll donate some decals........

www.needadecal.com (http://www.needadecal.com)

uawaterskier
10-23-2007, 11:13 PM
we have 290 members but of that only about 50-60 ish are active on a consistent basis. the club is a free club and we encourage all skill levels to come out with us. The actually team is about 15-20 kids and most of them live locally and have their own boats anyways. the more the marrier!!!
sounds like our team. Most of the team members are skiing behind their own boats.

Monte
10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
SO........ you have 290 people that will come to a keg party. Fifty or so who hang around most of the time, and 25 hardcore ready to go riders... Good lord man have a BBQ!!!!!!!

OK 1 shoulder will feed about 20 people....... buy 15 shoulders for @25 bucks a piece 375.. Then... borrow a smoker.. Out of 290 people??? Somebody's dad has a smoker. Burn some wood down to embers and smoke some BBQ about 12 hrs.... Charge everybody at the party 10 bucks.. you just made @ 2500

Wake_USF
10-23-2007, 11:36 PM
The BBQ sounds like a good idea the only thing is picking a day where a ton of people can show up!! with Halloween around the corner way too many Halloween parties are going on!! maybe after all the parties start to die out we'll set one up! thanks man.

Monte
10-23-2007, 11:39 PM
The BBQ sounds like a good idea the only thing is picking a day where a ton of people can show up!! with Halloween around the corner way too many Halloween parties are going on!! maybe after all the parties start to die out we'll set one up! thanks man.

How about the good ole friday night before Thanksgiving break just got out of class schindig... MONEY;)

uawaterskier
10-23-2007, 11:44 PM
SO........ you have 290 people that will come to a keg party.
somehow our ski team always looses a bunch of money on keg parties...oh yeah, we all drink like horses.

Wake_USF
10-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Ya i could see us losing money on that deal too!!

actually one of our members dads owns a BBQ place and hes let us barrow his trailer full of smokers and grills! i think we might have a party on our hands!

cbryan70
10-24-2007, 12:46 AM
you guys should beable to get sponsers through wakeboards, skis, ropes, lifevest, basically anything water sports. One of my friends started a ski team and thats where he started. WIth that many members you guys should look into leasing a boat. I know my buddies leased another one of the top 3 for half the year and just returned it at the end of the year. You may want to check into that to. I dont think it was more then 300 a month and with the amount of members you have that shouldnt be a problem

Wake_USF
10-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Leasing is an option, what companies do that around Florida? As far as sponsors for equipment we already have:

Straightline
Pro-Tec
Watersports West (boards.....pretty much anything)
wake-space.com
Bulls Outfitter
Red Bull Energy Drinks
Fortes Inboard Connection

cbryan70
10-24-2007, 12:56 AM
im not sure in your area in michigan he got in contact with a cc dealer i believe

milkmania
10-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Check into local Community Colleges in your area that have automotive programs. You may even be able to find a training program specifically designed for marine mechanics that would be willing to help out.
Good luck

Wake_USF, check with your local vo-techs

note that in the vocational educational areas, GM has donated/written off engines for training purposes....

that being said, the only thing that was originally on one of their donated engines was the block;)
(everyone took their old junk and put it back on the block)

these were full crate engines all the way from the plastic air cleaner assembly to the oil pan

cbryan70
10-24-2007, 01:00 AM
yeah i would definatly check into this, if anything get used parts and have them put it together for you, i know brianm had a carb he was selling dirt cheap that needed a rebuild pm him and see if he still has it

milkmania
10-24-2007, 01:12 AM
two questions......

why are the girls not wearing the beads?:confused:

and what's upwith the little curly headedguy in the lower left corner of the boat?:confused:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u59/teal_Deal/allboat1.jpg

JoshBuzz
10-24-2007, 01:16 AM
njskier:

JoshBuzz:

Dang, y'all have to ride in the cold!! Yeah, we had some rough competition with the guys from UNT, they have a couple pros who could probably just stop going to college and go ride now!! Hopefully y'all make it, it's always good to get to meet fellow MC riders from all over the U.S.!! Keep me updated on your progress, and if any of your team ever comes down to A&M, they've got somewhere to stay!!

Wake_USF
10-24-2007, 11:24 AM
two questions......

why are the girls not wearing the beads?:confused:

and what's upwith the little curly headedguy in the lower left corner of the boat?:confused:

Hahah, this picture was for one of our sponsors (premiere signs) and we wanted to have all of the officers there, so we MS paint'd him in there....

Wake_USF
10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Dang, y'all have to ride in the cold!! Yeah, we had some rough competition with the guys from UNT, they have a couple pros who could probably just stop going to college and go ride now!! Hopefully y'all make it, it's always good to get to meet fellow MC riders from all over the U.S.!! Keep me updated on your progress, and if any of your team ever comes down to A&M, they've got somewhere to stay!!

Right back at ya! If you are anywhere in Tampa give us a shout. This will be our first team appearance at nationals so it should be interesting to say the least. Last year only one person went from our school, placed 5th in Outlaw (I think) and because of that USF placed 19th overall.

cbryan70
11-13-2007, 09:38 PM
What ever happend to this deal? Did he just come on here to get donations then bail out?

T Scott
11-13-2007, 11:55 PM
I saw a group of these guys at the Southern reunion over the weekend. Seemed like really nice guys.

JoshBuzz
11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
I'm not sure, really wanna know how they placed in state qualifiers though, hopefully we'll see these guys at nationals!!

KevenAtWakeUSF
11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
The original poster doesnt frequent this board often, but I do! As for the qualifier, we placed 2nd in beginner, 1rst in intermediate and 2nd in mens wakeskate. We had finalists in every category except womens wakeskate and mens pro, which hurt us alot. Even without riders in those categories, we placed 5th overall which isnt bad considering any placement in Pro is worth more then two times as much as first in beginner. The reunion from what I heard was awesome, and we raised a good chunk of change there too.

JoshBuzz
11-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Will y'all be at nationals Kev?? I'm making the trip with the team, and we could all camp next to each other, and share a few brews!!

Monte
11-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Will y'all be at nationals Kev?? I'm making the trip with the team, and we could all camp next to each other, and share a few brews!!

Yor're after the blonde in the abercrombie shirt aren't you:rolleyes: