PDA

View Full Version : Confused about a shower!!

dh_bennison
10-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi,

I am wanting to fit a shower to my 04 X10 (closed loop cooling). Is this possible?

My last boat had a shower but the cooling was an open loop ie the raw lake water went through the engine.

I have spoken to Dan at Heatercraft and he has told me that I cant fit a shower to a boat without a water heater or storage tank. Now I know this isnt true as my last boat and many other MC boats have them.

Im totally confused where are the best places to tap into the closed loop? Should the cold water be supplied before the water goes through the heat exchanger and the hot water be supplied once the water has gone through the heat exchanger???

Which is the best shower to buy?

Many thanks
Dave

BrianM
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Interesting. I know that Heatercraft used to make a shower for the closed cooling boats but now I do not see it on their site. Don't know what to tell you.

88 PS190
10-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Well with a closed cooling system you cannot use the normal method, which is to take the flow of water from the engine and use an RV constant flow pump to get pressure.

The only way I can see you doing this is to have the water from the shower pumped past some sort of heat exchanger that would warm the water for the shower off the closed circuit from the engine. Inefficient I am sure...

Otherwise conversion to open circuit cooling is probably possible... then you have to winterize more fully etc.

rodltg2
10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
its possible but i dont know how its done. my boat is closed cooling and i have a shower. ive also read on here someone who did it.

dmayer84
10-23-2007, 02:11 PM
I would think that you would be able to get hot water from the output side of the heat exchanger.

88 PS190
10-23-2007, 02:40 PM
I see it as a problem of volume. With an open system you are pulling your portion for heat out of the large amount of heated water that's in the block. With the closed system you are pulling yours out of water that flows quickly past the heat exchanger. To see how it would work just check the heat of the output water... warm enough for a hot shower?

Chicago190
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Some helpful info here:

http://tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17816&highlight=shower

dh_bennison
10-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to import a shower and just give it a go.

If anyone has any tips they would be apprciated.

I need one quick the water is 53 degrees here in the UK and I need to warm up when Ive been in the water!!!!

woodrowskis
01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
did you figure anytrhing out?
I am currently contemplating two solutions. Neither as simple as I would like.

(1) an on demand water heater appx 1500 watt and a Dc to AC power inverter
(2) a separate shell and tube in parrallel with main shell and tube exchanger if I can find a good point to take hot antifreeze which I feel I can.