PDA

View Full Version : California fires!

fintek9
10-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I know we have some TT members out there, You guys & gals OK? Looking on the news the fires look pretty intense! 30 plus mph winds, Gusts up to 60 mph, Houses look like blow torches are hitting them!:(
Hope every one is in the clear.

And if I have missed this topic going on else where my apologies

milkmania
10-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I know we have some TT members out there, You guys & gals OK? Looking on the news the fires look pretty intense! 30 plus mph winds, Gusts up to 60 mph, Houses look like blow torches are hitting them!:(
Hope every one is in the clear.

And if I have missed this topic going on else where my apologies

man, it's bad!
pray for the safety of the families, firemen, national guard, and everyone involved.
some gusts near whittier park were recorded at 108 mph!

6ballsisall
10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Big prayers for the locals! 270,000 people evacuated at this point! Wow!

Rockman
10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
From my contact in Cali...

As of 0600:

We continue to have 10-14 major wildfires burning in the rural area's of Southern California, principally north and east of LA, and hardest hit is San Diego. There is a fire still burning in Ontario, but is in the southern rural area. There is a fire in Orange County, near Irvine, that again is in a rural canyon area and while a lot of smoke and homes in harms way. Hardest hit is north San Diego County, with evacuations in the 300,000 plus range and growing. Estimated 700 homes lost and may 1000 by days end. Winds are still very strong and expected to continue into tonight and subside by mid day Wednesday.

The Cajon pass rail line, which is the main line into and out of LA for both RR's has been shut down and re-opened several times, and this on/off status should continue for a few days.

The I-15 to San Diego is closed at Rancho Bernardo/Escondito and will remain closed all day. The I-15 over the Cajon pass, like the RR line, is subject to temp closures. Even when open, the traffic is horrendous. Numerous other roads closed in the rural area's. The Otay Mesa/Tijuana border area has very heavy smoke and we will get a better update on that in a little while. The urban sections of LA / Port area's are completely unaffected and business as usual.

Naste Craft
10-23-2007, 11:57 AM
It's nuts right now!!!!!!!!
Luckily I'm not affected by the fire but the 60-80pmh wind is tearing through out our city. Esperanza high school and many other schools closed down yesterday because of power outages. Trees and power poles are snapping all over the place along with dirt and trash everywhere.

Chas
10-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Well, we have no threat of fire right now in Ventura, though there is plenty of fire here in the county. The smoke and soot/ash is making it hard on those of us with asthma and allergies. My elderly mother is in distress, and she is in an air-conditioned facility!

In my little realm: the wind has dome some damage. In addition to the mess - which is amazing: ash piles up in every crack and corner, and gets into the cars and buildings as if we are shoveling it in, things blow over and around. The lid on my spa blew open and tore the fasteners. It will need to be replaced. Then the wind carefully gathered every leaf, branch, twig, pop can and bottle from my entire yard and dumped it all into the spa.

An expensive umbrella and patio table blew to bits. The umbrella was closed at the time, but my neighbor's shade came over for a quick visit.

Total costs so far - about $1000. Again, that's just from the wind. I don't want to compare us to those who have or will lose things in fires, but if the wind is doing this to us here, can you imagine how hard it is making it for those fighting the fires? Pray.

Oh - and not one customer walked into our store yesterday - not one!

RexDog1
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi..... Well I am posting this from my blackberry no I net conn. For 2 days now the winds are so bad and the fires .... I just got a call and it looks like 1500 homes gone now with no stop in sight.....it is a mess only one life lost we need to try to keep it that way

M-Funf
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Quincy...you here? Or...down in LaLa Land????????????

shepherd
10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
View from space:

sand2snow22
10-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Sweet pic, Shep.....My brother is in San Diego, he says it's pretty bad. He flew back from Vegas this weekend and said it was amazing to look down on the fires and smoke. His girlfriend bought a raft. If it gets too bad, they'll set out to sea!!

6ballsisall
10-23-2007, 09:00 PM
My goodness..........

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/2007/10/23/CaliforniaWildfires_1023.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab _newstab

Monte
10-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Wow.. You guys stay safe over there....

Has anybody heard from quincyfirefighter?? He is a fire jumper if I'm thinking right...

bcampbe7
10-23-2007, 10:45 PM

Has anybody heard from quincyfirefighter?? He is a fire jumper if I'm thinking right...

I think you are correct... I am sure he is pretty busy.

Stay safe QuincyFF!

Monte
10-23-2007, 10:54 PM
I think you are correct... I am sure he is pretty busy.

Stay safe QuincyFF!

I'm sure he is...:cool:

2nd..:cool:

ttu
10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
this is truly sad.

one question i have. last night while watching the news they discussed a couple of the houses caught fire when the flying hot ambers landed on the "wood" roof.

why would anyone in a area known for their wildfires put a wood roof on their house?

RexDog1
10-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Well today looks like the day they could get a hold on the fires low winds.
The winds will change to a offshore on Thursday and cooler weather on Friday
They closed I 5 at Camp Pendleton that is going to make things more of a mess ……..
I am about 7 miles north of the fires so it is just a lot of smoke and ash here

I know Quincy must be here, there are over 6000 fire fighters in so cal. Stay safe

RexDog1
10-24-2007, 09:45 AM
this is truly sad.

one question i have. last night while watching the news they discussed a couple of the houses caught fire when the flying hot ambers landed on the "wood" roof.

why would anyone in a area known for their wildfires put a wood roof on their house?

There are a lot of older homes with wood shake roofs in Arrowhead

It has been a law for about 20 years or so you can’t build a home with wood shake roof
In So Cal.

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
When are the Bozo's out there in charge going to start to manage these Forests? Let logging go in and remove fallen trees, cut fire blocks in these forests and for gods sake save the homes lives and timber.

These Freaks are so paranoid about logging and nature they would rather see millions of acres go up in smoke than use the timber.

Are mile wide clear cuts beautiful, no but what is left every year after the fire season is much worse.

Rant over, you may continue with your day. :D

Sodar
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Fires have been pretty bad. I am waiting to hear from a couple people to see if their vacation homes in Arrowhead made it.

Stuart,

The logging/forest clearing issue has been a recent problem for sure. Too many tree huggers and enviromentalists have complained that it has an impact and the state has stopped it.

Ryan
10-24-2007, 04:52 PM
When are the Bozo's out there in charge going to start to manage these Forests? Let logging go in and remove fallen trees, cut fire blocks in these forests and for gods sake save the homes lives and timber.

These Freaks are so paranoid about logging and nature they would rather see millions of acres go up in smoke than use the timber.

Are mile wide clear cuts beautiful, no but what is left every year after the fire season is much worse.

Rant over, you may continue with your day. :D

I doubt mile wide clear cuts would be wide enough, since embers are carried many miles starting new fires. Logging, timber? Probably would not be very lucritive... :cool: Fallen lumber is not very valuable as a resource but needed for health of a forrest. These are primarily brush fires...millions of acres of grass, brush, small trees etc... Last I checked no one was buying up much of that stuff - doesn't even make good mulch. Some wooded areas getting hit too, but make up a very small portion of Shepard's map.

Bruce
10-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Quincy my brother and to all my fellow firefighters God bless and be safe!

I know with this many hours on the line your butt is dragging! From the pictures I've seen you"re still in a defensive mode in most areas. I know water on flames that high get you nothing but maybe some steam. You sure can't "surround and drown". So, just do your best and wet the rest!
I pray nightly for your and all the guys safety!

M-Funf
10-24-2007, 05:25 PM
I heard on the news this morning that some engine companies were out to protect ONE house, because there was no way they could save more than that...one engine per house! How do they choose?

Bruce
10-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I heard on the news this morning that some engine companies were out to protect ONE house, because there was no way they could save more than that...one engine per house! How do they choose?
Not being there I can only guess(not second guess). Probability of success, accessibility, proximity to other structures (i.e If I attack this one will it it keep it from spreading to nearby structures vs. one with minimal exposure to others). Just thinking out loud. However would the guy whose watching his house go while I protected his neighbor buy this? A rare few.

RexDog1
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM

The firefighters choose
the house that cleared away the brush from the house

Like they all should by law, they have a better chance of saving the home

This is a photo from yesterday firefighters trapped in the fire, you need BIG ba..s to do this

Thank you all who are helping

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
I doubt mile wide clear cuts would be wide enough, since embers are carried many miles starting new fires. Logging, timber? Probably would not be very lucritive... :cool: Fallen lumber is not very valuable as a resource but needed for health of a forrest. These are primarily brush fires...millions of acres of grass, brush, small trees etc... Last I checked no one was buying up much of that stuff - doesn't even make good mulch. Some wooded areas getting hit too, but make up a very small portion of Shepard's map.

1. Not if they never try. (fire breaks)

2. Fallen lumber in california is lucrative.

3.So are fires so I guess your solution would be to let-em burn each year. (Healthy for forests)

This kind of thinking stifles new approaches to controlling these wildfire in the west and other places that occur every year.

Since my Ideas are so off base, what would you suggest we do to protect our forests, homes and lives?

KnoxX2
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
1. Not if they never try. (fire breaks)

2. Fallen lumber in california is lucrative.

3.So are fires so I guess your solution would be to let-em burn each year. (Healthy for forests)

This kind of thinking stifles new approaches to controlling these wildfire in the west and other places that occur every year.

Since my Ideas are so off base, what would you suggest we do to protect our forests, homes and lives?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :firejump:

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2007, 09:05 PM
:popcorn: : :firejump:

Regarding your signature, I have it covered with my truck keys. :D

MODERATED?

Sorry guys, was a nice pic though. ;)

KnoxX2
10-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey I want one!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get that?

TX.X-30 fan
10-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey I want one!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get that?

You mean my wife, or the key floaty???? :D

Bruce
10-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Knox and Tex.X-30. If I have command on a wildfire that I feel we can't control I call for a plow to cut a line. It is a great control method. Can it jump the line? Absolutely, but not all fires here or anywhere else routinely have wind like they are having in Calif. Because the firefighters that preceded us did such a great job the fire load has grown and gotten out of hand. The brush catches easily and ignites the trees. Forestry here routinely does control burns to get rid of brush dead trees etc. The area burned grows back healthier than ever. Fire lines work. You let everything inside the line burn i.e. you are controlling the area. Do control burns sometimes get out of control? Absolutely, but it is still the best way to go. If we light a back burn and the wind shifts it's not always good.(I've been caught in that but, the plow got me out). We use all the science available to us i.e. wind direction, speed, humidity etc. It is not an exact science but a calculated risk.
The good Lord controlled it by using lighting to start fires and control growth so, the concept has been around for awhile!

TX.X-30 fan
10-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Knox and Tex.X-30. If I have command on a wildfire that I feel we can't control I call for a plow to cut a line. It is a great control method. Can it jump the line? Absolutely, but not all fires here or anywhere else routinely have wind like they are having in Calif. Because the firefighters that preceded us did such a great job the fire load has grown and gotten out of hand. The brush catches easily and ignites the trees. Forestry here routinely does control burns to get rid of brush dead trees etc. The area burned grows back healthier than ever. Fire lines work. You let everything inside the line burn i.e. you are controlling the area. Do control burns sometimes get out of control? Absolutely, but it is still the best way to go. If we light a back burn and the wind shifts it's not always good.(I've been caught in that but, the plow got me out). We use all the science available to us i.e. wind direction, speed, humidity etc. It is not an exact science but a calculated risk.
The good Lord controlled it by using lighting to start fires and control growth so, the concept has been around for awhile!

Very well said Bruce, because you know what your saying vs the rest of us that just think we do. Prayers for those who are fighting these fires, and for those affected by them.

Thanks Bruce for the inside scoop. ;)

KnoxX2
10-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Thank you Bruce for a look from a fire fighters point of view.

Stay safe!

John B
10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
All is well here in Big Bear, but I know two people that have last their homes.One in Running Springs,one at Lake Arrowhead.
What we have in Big Bear is just a lot of smoke and a air show of fire tankers and helicopter.We will see flames tonight on a ridge that is about 2 miles off.

JimN
10-25-2007, 09:02 PM
The ones at Lake Arrowhead aren't Jenny and Chad, are they?

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Well I'm back.... Think I lost twenty pounds. :rolleyes: Got the call at 01:30 hours on Sunday the 21th. Was on the road by 02:00 hours to Sacramento to meet up with our strike team. Drove all night. Arrived at the Witch fire about 16:00 hours and went to work. Didn't get relieved until Tuesday at 18:00 Hours. In the week that I was gone I worked the Witch, Rice, and Santiago fires. I didn't get to many pic's cause I had a hose in my hands most of the time. I will tell you that we lost a few homes :cry:

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Quincy...you here? Or...down in LaLa Land????????????
After 53 hours with no sleep I think I was in LaLa Land.

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 11:50 AM

Monte72 I'm not a smoke jumper.;) Just your average firefighter. Come to think about I don't think we have any in California. Have a couple of friends that work for the Forest Service that repel from helicopters on to the front lines. Think Colorado is the only state that has smoke jumpers but I could be wrong

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Fires have been pretty bad. I am waiting to hear from a couple people to see if their vacation homes in Arrowhead made it.

Stuart,

The logging/forest clearing issue has been a recent problem for sure. Too many tree huggers and enviromentalists have complained that it has an impact and the state has stopped it.
Sodar how close was I to you. Was mostly at Camp Pendleton for base camp.

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Quincy my brother and to all my fellow firefighters God bless and be safe!

I know with this many hours on the line your butt is dragging! From the pictures I've seen you"re still in a defensive mode in most areas. I know water on flames that high get you nothing but maybe some steam. You sure can't "surround and drown". So, just do your best and wet the rest!
I pray nightly for your and all the guys safety!
Thank's ;)

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
The good Lord controlled it by using lighting to start fires and control growth so, the concept has been around for awhile!Fighting fire in a urban interfaze can be tuff if the home owners has not prepared their properties. In the situation that we were. We were fighting fire house by house. Getting out of the way when the winds would kick up. and let me tell you the winds (Oh my God)

Bruce
10-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Fighting fire in a urban interfaze can be tuff if the home owners has not prepared their properties. In the situation that we were. We were fighting fire house by house. Getting out of the way when the winds would kick up. and let me tell you the winds (Oh my God)

I've fought wildland, structures etc. but nothing like what you just went through. I cant' even imagine those winds on a fire scene. Must be like having someone chasing you with a blow torch!
Hope you didn't have to clean all that hose)
Truely glad you're safe and back home! God does indeed answer prayers.

quincyfirefighter
10-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Thank you Bruce, I was with a great strike team. We work together and watched each others back and let me tell ya that there were times that our look outs were a god sent.

André
10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Glad you made it back home safely Quincy!
Good work guys!!!:)

John B
10-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I just found out about two more friends that lost their homes. That makes four,I hope there not going to be more.
Here what it was like in Running Springs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZEd7rD3Mw
http://picasaweb.google.com/RIMOFTHEWORLD/GrassSlideFireHomeSurvey/photo#s5125495879626224962

milkmania
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
CNN just reported that authorities have caught a boy that's admitted to playing with matches that caused one of the worse fires....

name & age not released, he is in custody of parents

also,
18 of 23 fires fully contained
remainder 70% contained
burned over 500,000 acres
over 1600 homes destroyed

RexDog1
10-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I also heard this I am so mad at the reporter on TV she said it with a smile and LOL it off…….. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_204v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS)
Where were his parents ???? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_205.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS)

Sodar
10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
I also heard this I am so mad at the reporter on TV she said it with a smile and LOL it off…….. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_204v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS)
Where were his parents ???? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_2_205.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYMNUS)

Probably standing behind him, handing him the matches.....

M-Funf
10-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Don't know where they were when the kid was starting fires, but I know where they will be soon...:rolleyes:

milkmania
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Probably standing behind him, handing him the matches.....

crack pipes require matches, don't they:confused:

honest question:o

Sodar
10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
crack pipes require matches, don't they:confused:

honest question:o

I think lighters work better in the wind!!

Sodar
11-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Pretty sweet photo sequence here:

http://www.latimes.com/la-burnover-f,0,732907.flash?coll=la-home-center

Free Airfilters for any GM owners living in the 8 counties listed here:

http://www.goodwrench.com/californiawildfires.jsp

quincyfirefighter
11-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Here we go again. Malibu on fire again. Has lost 35 homes already :( Been on standby for a couple of hours now. Lets hope for the winds to die down.

Sodar
11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Drove through the burn areas in Santiago and Mojeska Canyons. I saw 3 burnt down houses and burnt terrain for miles in each direction.... it was pretty incredible.