PDA

View Full Version : mastercraft overheating problem

wake1080
10-23-2007, 12:06 AM
I have a 94 mastercraft prostar 205 and the problem is that it runs fine at speeds up till 30mph but at higher speeds for prolonged periods of time the temp gauge says that the engine is overheating and the engine slows down automatically until the gauge cools down. The impeller is maybe a month old. My friend said it might be bad thermostat, heat sensor, or computer related problem. If anyone knows anything regarding this problem, please let me know. Thanks

east tx skier
10-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Check the screen on the hull side of the transmission cooler. It may be clogged up with lake trash restricting water flow. If it has restricted it too much, I'd check the impeller, too, to make sure it isn't toasted as a result of not so much water to lubricate.

JoshBuzz
10-23-2007, 02:18 AM
East TX, you are so full of knowledge, what would we do without you?!?

:D

welcome to the board wake 1080!!

east tx skier
10-23-2007, 10:01 AM
I only know about three things, all of which I copied off of JimN's paper. But I am full of something. :) Thanks all the same.

And where are my manners. Welcome 1080!

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I agree with Eastie, clean the intake path, replace impeller to start.
Welcome also to the site called Team Talk.

bdecker
10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
If you run in a place where you expect this to be a common problem, I'd have a sea strainer installed. It's a pretty cheap part and much easier to clean, but you do still need to watch it for clogs. We've had two boats suck up sawdust at tournaments and have the temps go up, and both times people have noticed the exhaust noise getting substantially higher, then you might even see some steam before the engine gets dangerously hot. I can take some pictures of the strainer install on my 05 197 TT if you're not sure where to put it.

bigmac
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Check the screen on the hull side of the transmission cooler. It may be clogged up with lake trash restricting water flow. If it has restricted it too much, I'd check the impeller, too, to make sure it isn't toasted as a result of not so much water to lubricate.

If I'm going to go to the trouble to pull the impeller out to check it, I'd put a new, well-lubed one back in.:twocents:

east tx skier
10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Good point. I was thinking he wouldn't have to pull it to check it (just pull the access plate and ensure that it was intact), but erring on the side of caution, pulling it out would give him the best look at it. But if it's out, just replace it (unless you're going to replace it in the spring anyway).

G-man
10-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I would also pull the thermostat and check for debris.

wake1080
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
thanks guys...the intake path is clear and the impeller is fine...what is more realistic, parts of an older impeller clogged in the engine cooling lines or computer/temp gauge/sensor issue?

G-man
10-24-2007, 02:14 PM
thats why I'm telling you to pull out the thermostat for a look

wake1080
10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
where exactly is the thermostat located...i'm thinking of just replacing it anyway, haven't replaced it in 6 years.

Footin
10-24-2007, 06:43 PM
top front of the motor, the houseing has two hoses attached that go back to the exhaust manifolds.

KHall
10-26-2007, 07:08 AM
I would check the trans cooler for blockage and the also that t-stat.