PDA

View Full Version : Drought in the South?

flya750
10-22-2007, 06:33 PM
So when are ya'll moving to Michigan? ;)

Sorry to joke as this drought is certainly not a joking matter....

I do wonder when Michigan and Wisconsin will get new boaters / new residents? That would be right after we get more jobs?:rolleyes:
Water might be a reason to bring your business to Michigan or Wisconsin?

Both Michigan and Wisconsin are beautiful places to live!
:cool:
How many MC owners are effected by this drought? This is very sad for sure. These are changing times for sure.

stuartmcnair
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
all of our waterways in Tuscaloosa are good...

uawaterskier
10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
all of our waterways in Tuscaloosa are good...
??????:confused: :confused: :confused: What are you talking about? Our ski lake is down at least 5 feet, maybe more. Our boat launch and boat house is all the way out of the water. Our ski course (accufloat) has so much slack in it that it is no longer worth practicing on. I have found rocks, trees, ect that I never knew were there. You can't drive the boat to the dock. I would say the drought has affected us greatly.

east tx skier
10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
We had some serious problems with our water levels in Texas during 05 and 06. Thankfully, we are back over 100% at our favorite ski spot. Even during 05 and 06 though, you could find some spring fed alternatives if you knew wher to go.

Bruce
10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
With all the rain we are having here the water is over my bulkhead. This weekend will be gorgeous. I have a golf tourn. Mon. and it will be in the 70's (the temp. not my score!)

Bruce
10-22-2007, 06:54 PM
??????:confused: :confused: :confused: What are you talking about? Our ski lake is down at least 5 feet, maybe more. Our boat launch and boat house is all the way out of the water. Our ski course (accufloat) has so much slack in it that it is no longer worth practicing on. I have found rocks, trees, ect that I never knew were there. You can't drive the boat to the dock. I would say the drought has affected us greatly.

Bear Bryant probably dropped in for a ballgame. Parted the waters so he could cross and forgot to close it back!

Leroy
10-22-2007, 06:59 PM
This map shows the problem. I was in Knoxville TN over the weekend and trout streams were very low in Gatlinburg area.

6ballsisall
10-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Yep its serious business here in the ATL. :(

At the current rate of the lake conditions I might not have a boat next year either..........:(

hkyplyr31
10-22-2007, 08:14 PM
most of the fresh water lakes in Reno are down about 25' (well, all but tahoe).

shepherd
10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
So when are ya'll moving to Michigan? ;)

Sorry to joke as this drought is certainly not a joking matter....

I do wonder when Michigan and Wisconsin will get new boaters / new residents? That would be right after we get more jobs?:rolleyes:
Water might be a reason to bring your business to Michigan or Wisconsin?

Both Michigan and Wisconsin are beautiful places to live!
:cool:
How many MC owners are effected by this drought? This is very sad for sure. These are changing times for sure.

Be careful what you joke about. I saw a story about this on the news a couple weeks ago: http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-other/2007/oct/04/566614893.html
Presidential candidate from NM wants to raid the Great Lakes to provide water to the desert southwest. The governor of Michigan (she's cute!) said, and I quote, "Hell no!" :D

From another article:
"Richardson told the Las Vegas Sun during a campaign trip to Nevada, which has serious water shortages, that he favored a national water summit to find ways water-rich northern states could help the West. “Wisconsin is awash in water,” he told the Sun.

While that might be a popular proposal in Nevada, it struck a sensitive nerve in the Midwest. Environmental groups and Gov. Jennifer Granholm were quick to jump on the specter of pipelines carrying Great Lakes water across mountains to dry – and booming - Western towns like Las Vegas.

“Hell no,” Granholm told WZZM-13 in Grand Rapids last Thursday."

TMCNo1
10-22-2007, 08:55 PM
It's getting so dry and dusty here in the Central NC, the birds are riding the bus!:D :rolleyes: 8p

j2nh
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Great Lakes states banded together a few years ago and signed agreements which do not allow for the export of water from the Great Lakes. Remember that the lakes are currently also experiencing record low levels.

kev88
10-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Pontential drought buster coming out of the gulf through Alabama tonight and tomorrow!

6ballsisall
10-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Pontential drought buster coming out of the gulf through Alabama tonight and tomorrow!

Sweet!! Tell it to come sit on Atlanta for about a week!! ;)

TMCNo1
10-22-2007, 10:48 PM
Potential drought buster coming out of the gulf through Alabama tonight and tomorrow!

Same type system as last week. We got 3/4'' in about 4 hours from the first little bunch, then the cool front from the NW blew it East and out to sea before we got any of the good stuff that we really needed. Maybe different this week.

TMCNo1
10-22-2007, 10:58 PM
I've been considering pulling the boat out of the basement and parking it in the front yard w/o the cover!
I garontee it will rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbath.gif

tex
10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Texas is very wet!

6ballsisall
10-22-2007, 11:00 PM
I've been considering pulling the boat out of the basement and parking it in the front yard w/o the cover!
I garontee it will rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdbath.gif

Stop considering it Harold, and do it! We all need it brutha! Heck, I'll even go wash the wifes car, that outta do the trick.

KnoxX2
10-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Tennessee will get a poss 5-7 inches of rain over the next few days

BrianM
10-22-2007, 11:08 PM
No drought down here. Been raining like crazy and more coming. I am seeing more street flooding in my neighborhood than ever before.

6ballsisall
10-22-2007, 11:13 PM
We need at least 16 inches to start getting things back in line. Send all you can our way!!

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Stop considering it Harold, and do it! We all need it brutha! Heck, I'll even go wash the wifes car, that outta do the trick.

Did that Saturday after 6 weeks and now it will rain!

76S&S
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Our place is on the Warrior River here in AL. Since it is has some barge traffic they have to maintain the water level and it doesn't fluctuate much more that a foot all year.

Co-workers have it much worse, one had to pull his boat out of Lake Martin before the 4th (of July). Some of the lakes have been at or below winter pool for several weeks now.

I can't recall a summer dryer that this one.

Jorski
10-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I can't recall a summer dryer that this one.

Hottest, dryest summer and fall on record..it ain't getting any better folks. Our climate is in a speed wobble.

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 12:58 PM
The drought has really effected the leaves on the trees this year. Usually by Halloween, all our leaves have turned and on the ground, but this year, next week is Halloween and our leaves have barely got some light color to them and are not falling yet. We are in the Piedmont flat lands, so to speak, yet the leaves in the mountains and foothills 40-50 miles away are just patchy in color and it's not even worth taking a trip there to see the changing colors. The TV news said the drought could effect the Fall leaf color for years to come.

stuartmcnair
10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
oh yeah...you're on a small private lake...Yellow Creek and Lake Tuscaloosa are both good but they have good feeders...

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Our Governor has asked us to cut our water consumption in 1/2, so Lynn and I will be taking a shower together from here on out to help out, so,:woohoo: http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/new/gdthums.gifhttp://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/woot.gif

lanier92prostar
10-23-2007, 02:09 PM
So I take it all the rain in Alabama did not get your way either? The sun is out here in Atlanta and it is drying up already. I checked the lake levels and they went down over the past 2 days. TMCNo1, I will have to suggest that to my wife!

bcampbe7
10-23-2007, 02:12 PM
To say we are dry here is an understatement.
We are about 16" below normal.
It is raining now and I hope it continues to rain for a week or so. The problem is that the ground is so hard that the rain is just washing right off the lawn and down the road. It will at least fill the lakes back up somewhat.

shepherd
10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Hottest, dryest summer and fall on record..it ain't getting any better folks. Our climate is in a speed wobble.

I blame George Bush.

But I'll be heading out to the lake this afternoon to ski behind a gas-guzzling V8. :rolleyes:

Harvey
10-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Texas is very wet!

You better knock on some wood. You remember last year?

6ballsisall
10-23-2007, 02:52 PM
So I take it all the rain in Alabama did not get your way either? The sun is out here in Atlanta and it is drying up already. I checked the lake levels and they went down over the past 2 days. TMCNo1, I will have to suggest that to my wife!

Go figure..........:(

And here Alabama says Atlanta doesn't need the water in Lanier......
No I guess their right, we don't need the 5.5 billion in annual revenue Lanier brings to the area either...........:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Everytime they ask us to conserve water, that should mean we save money, right. I costs me money!!!! I have to get my prescription refilled, but man it's fun saving water!

uawaterskier
10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
oh yeah...you're on a small private lake...Yellow Creek and Lake Tuscaloosa are both good but they have good feeders...
yup lake harris is WAY down

6ballsisall
10-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Everytime they ask us to conserve water, that should mean we save money, right. I costs me money!!!! I have to get my prescription refilled, but man it's fun saving water!

Could this series of events (water shortage) spur the next Baby Boomer generation??? :D

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Could this series of events (water shortage) spur the next Baby Boomer generation??? :D

Not at our age, we decided last week that we weren't gonna have anymore kids!
I just enjoy poking fun at her!:rolleyes: http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/sidesplit.gif

76S&S
10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=TMCNo1]I just enjoy poking fun at her!:rolleyes: [IMG]

LOL!!!! I about fell out of my chair.....:uglyhamme

6ballsisall
10-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Not at our age, we decided last week that we weren't gonna have anymore kids!
I just enjoy poking fun at her!:rolleyes: http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/images/smilies/sidesplit.gif

I say poke away Harold! 8p

KnoxX2
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
:D This thread took a left turn!:rolleyes: