PDA

View Full Version : Not just simple prop damage....

vegashomeexpert
10-22-2007, 11:20 AM
You may remember my report and picture of the prop we damaged at Lake Powell in August. (The prop looked like an "artichoke".) Well, while taking the prop off, I noticed a bend in the rudder. While taking the rudder off I noticed a bend in the strut. Then I saw a posting here that said if the strut is bent, you better replace the drive shaft because the tollerances are so tight. Then I saw spider cracks developing around the rudder box. Needless to say, this was all beyond the scope of my mechanical abilities. Took it to the dealer with the strut I ordered from Mastercraft of Charlotte and the Acme prop I got from wakeside.com (thanks Wakeseeky!). The repairs were complete last week ($129/hr for labor!!!) and I picked the boat up Friday and since the dealer is close to the lake, I dipped the boat in the water to make sure it floats. I hit the gas comming out of the marina and almost got whiplash! Was it the new prop or the fact that It was just me in the boat with no gear and half a tank of gas? I don't know but the hole shot was amazing! Even accelorating at running speed will suck you back into your seat! And the surprising thing is, the steering is improved. I had the '06 rudder on before and that was a huge improvement over the stock rudder, but it was still a little hard to steer in places while at running speed. Not any more. It is like having power steering and the wheel will almost stay straight with the hands off at speed. Very pleased with the results and the service from the dealer. Is $129/hr the going rate these days. The service better be good at that rate! Oh, insurance was from USAA. Took picks and sent them the estimate and had a check in 3 days. Happy with that, too! It is rare that you have something come out of the shop for repairs performing better than it went in!

WakeSeeky
10-22-2007, 12:28 PM
I really don't know the answer to your question, but I'll give ya a bump to see if someone else does. ;)

Great to hear that you're happy with the repair! Do you know for sure that the shaft wasn't bent before? Being familiar with your p/o and fixing some of his mistakes myself, I might guess that he bent the shaft and never got it fixed right. I do know he dinged the prop at least twice on that boat.

I don't know what the going rate is elsewhere but they certainly have gotten proud of their work here. Their 50/100 hour service prices have more than doubled since last year, so they won't be doing that for us anymore, at least. :(

RLService
10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
To answer the labor rate question. It is now very common to see labor rates in the $100.00+ range. In the past you could say that the marine industry as a whole is ten years behind the auto industry. That is not the case anymore. For years the auto industry has been closely monitored for the quality of the service and repair end of the business. In the last few years the marine industry is now being monitored in the same way. In turn many dealers have had to bring the level of the service up to par with other dealers. That happens in a lot of different ways. As the boat have gotten more technical in the last few years dealers have had to attend more service training and Purchase specialty tool and equipment to repair the boats. I'm sure when you found that the damage to your boat was more than you could fix yourself the dealer had a trained staff that could fully repair your boat. That has to be worth something. What is the going labor rate for auto repairs in your area. Now I'm not talking about the little two stall garage. Look at your auto dealers. The guys that are like your boat dealer. Guys that are doing warranty repairs. Have the highest training and have inventory of new products for you to look at and purchase. Have faith in your dealer and don't feel like that are charging to much. It will cost you more in the long run. Maybe not in money but in time.

PendO
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
$100 bucks an hour at my local (ex MC) dealer ... heck, they charge 100 bucks an hour to work on supra, moomba, and four winns

$130/hr is pretty steep ... and I'm sure they charged book rate labor ... oh well, at least you paid for a new laptop for them:)

spanielman50
10-22-2007, 10:08 PM
My New Acme 4 Blade On A 88 Prostar Powerslot Changed
My Steering Appreciably Was Like Adding 80 H.p.
Love My Acme

vegashomeexpert
10-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi Andrea: No, don't know for sure if the shaft was/is bent. The manager did ask if I wanted my parts back and I said yes, just in case I could use the shaft as a backup. (Heaven forbid!) And to make sure they actually did replace them. I may try and get the rudder straightend as well. All in all, they have certainly raised the level of service, they even put shine on the tires. I am exctatic with the results. Would be a little less so if it weren't covered (mostly) by insurance.
I really don't know the answer to your question, but I'll give ya a bump to see if someone else does. ;)

Great to hear that you're happy with the repair! Do you know for sure that the shaft wasn't bent before? Being familiar with your p/o and fixing some of his mistakes myself, I might guess that he bent the shaft and never got it fixed right. I do know he dinged the prop at least twice on that boat.

I don't know what the going rate is elsewhere but they certainly have gotten proud of their work here. Their 50/100 hour service prices have more than doubled since last year, so they won't be doing that for us anymore, at least. :(

WakeSeeky
10-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Andrea: No, don't know for sure if the shaft was/is bent. The manager did ask if I wanted my parts back and I said yes, just in case I could use the shaft as a backup. (Heaven forbid!) And to make sure they actually did replace them. I may try and get the rudder straightend as well. All in all, they have certainly raised the level of service, they even put shine on the tires. I am exctatic with the results. Would be a little less so if it weren't covered (mostly) by insurance.

Shoot, maybe it's the bent rudder that's working for you, don't change a thing! :D Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if the shaft had been at least slightly bent all along, but I don't know how you would determine that now. At least you're happy with it now!

I am really glad that you had a good experience, that is good to hear. We had had great service there since they opened in 2004, then the last two times we went in... not so much. I won't go into it publicly (at least one person involved isn't there anymore) but I do have to say that charging around $550 for a 50 hour and around $850 for a 100 hour service is not even close to being in line with the automotive industry around here, if you really want to make that comparison. If they can keep busy at those prices, I truly wish them the best, but I won't be paying that for an oil change. :rolleyes:

vegashomeexpert
10-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Which is why I have been changing oil and winterizing myself since I had them do it the first time. It takes less than an hour, I KNOW what was done, and I don't have to make the trip across town. Did I mention they charge $129 for an estimate and add it to the bill when the repair is done? They can still do the big stuff. My co-worker found an awesome gel-coat guy who is relatively cheap (probably the same guy that the dealers sub out too and charge 50% markup). Let me know if you need his info.

WakeSeeky
10-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Which is why I have been changing oil and winterizing myself since I had them do it the first time. It takes less than an hour, I KNOW what was done, and I don't have to make the trip across town. Did I mention they charge $129 for an estimate and add it to the bill when the repair is done? They can still do the big stuff. My co-worker found an awesome gel-coat guy who is relatively cheap (probably the same guy that the dealers sub out too and charge 50% markup). Let me know if you need his info.

Actually, I can get gel coat work done for beverages, we know some guys. ;)

$129 for the estimate, eh? Good grief, thanks for the warning. Boy, I really am glad you are happy with the work, can you imagine? We just need a place to do the oil change, everything else on the list (and you bet I asked for a copy when I saw the new prices) is very simple. I would bet money they don't spend more than an hour on it either. I can't figure out a way to change the oil without water and electricity, everything else we can do at the storage place. Oh well, they are not the only Indmar dealer in town if we can't figure out a place to do it ourselves.