PDA

View Full Version : transmission fluid help

lanier92prostar
10-21-2007, 02:35 PM
I have a 92 prostar with a velvet transmission ratio 1:1. The owners manuel says to fill with Dexron II type F transmission fluid. There is no such thing at the auto parts store. There is a Type F and a Dexron III. Which do I buy?

Jim@BAWS
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I have a 92 prostar with a velvet transmission ratio 1:1. The owners manuel says to fill with Dexron II type F transmission fluid. There is no such thing at the auto parts store. There is a Type F and a Dexron III. Which do I buy?

Use TYPE FA which replaces type F

Footin
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Dexron III has taken the place of Dextron II, you can use the III.

wakolman
10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
15w40 for an 05 197 w/ 1.26:1 trans? What is the best way to extract the fluid? Vacuum pump through the fill/dipstick hole, or throught the line that goes to the cooler?

Oh, and how do I get the floor panel behind the motor box up? I unhooked the gas struts and tipped the box back, just can't get it to come up. I can't find the thread/w pic of someone who showed the box and panel open.

TIA
Wade

JohnnyB
10-21-2007, 06:28 PM
15w40 for an 05 197 w/ 1.26:1 trans? What is the best way to extract the fluid? Vacuum pump through the fill/dipstick hole, or throught the line that goes to the cooler?

Oh, and how do I get the floor panel behind the motor box up? I unhooked the gas struts and tipped the box back, just can't get it to come up. I can't find the thread/w pic of someone who showed the box and panel open.

TIA
Wade

I have an 04 with a 1:1. I used a vacuum pump. I also removed the plate and two bolts underneath the tranny to clean the filter screen....wasn't worth my time. It was very clean. Also, you have to just about stand on your head and need twelve fingers to get the screen, plate, and bolts back in.

As far as getting the panel behind the motor box up, I take out the rear seat bench, then I unhook the struts and let the motor cover go all the way back until its sitting on the floor panel, then grab the center of the panel in front of the motor cover and pull up.....having a second person to hold the cover from flopping around is helpful, but I did it myself yesterday.

wakolman
10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
As far as getting the panel behind the motor box up, I take out the rear seat bench, then I unhook the struts and let the motor cover go all the way back until its sitting on the floor panel, then grab the center of the panel in front of the motor cover and pull up.....having a second person to hold the cover from flopping around is helpful, but I did it myself yesterday.

Rear seat is out, struts are off, box is back all the way. I guess I wasn't lifting hard enough (not wanting to force it). On the IR right now with a rib injury, so it might have to wait a week or two.:(

JohnnyB
10-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I can't find the thread/w pic of someone who showed the box and panel open.

TIA
Wade

Found it.....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19679&highlight=floor+remove