PDA

View Full Version : Where would you live??

Jerseydave
10-21-2007, 10:14 AM
If you could buy a house on the water somewhere, where would it be?
(figure 1 mil-1.5 mil for house)

Priorities for me would be:

-Clean lake (or other-type body of water)
-Good hospitals nearby
-1 hour or less from a major city that could provide sports, entertainment, night life, etc.
-At least a 6-month waterski/wakeboard season
-Reasonable property taxes (paying $15K now in NJ)

I'm thinking maybe something near Atlanta, or northern Arizona???

What's your pic??

Lennyp04
10-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey NJ, my neigbors house is for sale at the lake. I think you said you were lookin...

but in anycase.. I like Lake Wallenpaupack but Florida would be nice!

JohnE
10-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Lake Wylie NC fits the criterion, njskier.;)

Why don't you come down in May and try it out.:D

Even with the short season, Lake Ossipee NH is my dream lake.

Let's throw in "MC dealer within reasonable distance" to the requirements.

Jerseydave
10-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey NJ, my neigbors house is for sale at the lake. I think you said you were lookin...

but in anycase.. I like Lake Wallenpaupack but Florida would be nice!

Not looking to buy for at least 15 years, but if you have any leads on a rental cottage/house on lake wally, I'm all ears!

Jerseydave
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Lake Wylie NC fits the criterion, njskier.;)

Why don't you come down in May and try it out.:D

Even with the short season, Lake Ossipee NH is my dream lake.

Let's throw in "MC dealer within reasonable distance" to the requirements.

I'd like to come down, if I can convince the wife. Maybe if Mike M. would give her a ride in his car! ;)

lanier92prostar
10-21-2007, 10:46 AM
There might be a lot of property available on the lakes near Atlanta. You might have pond front instead of lake front! Seriously, there are a lot of houses on lakes near the Atlanta area for that price. I would look at Oconee which is a little south of Atlanta and the water is managed better.

shepherd
10-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Central Florida

Orlando has great hospitals and big-city amenities. (Almost) year-round skiing. A great selection of private or semi-private ski lakes in that price range. And another cool factor: You're only about an hour from the beach.

Why do you think many waterski and wakeboard pros call that area home?

Monte
10-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I'd like to come down, if I can convince the wife. Maybe if Mike M. would give her a ride in his car! ;)

Start convincing! You may like the area. BTW you could be on Moss (my home lake)45 mins from Charlotte, NC for half that. One lot just went up for sale 1 mil for 9 acres 1000 ft waterfront.. Not a bad deal IMHO...

bigmac
10-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Minnesota. Might be pushing your 6 month ski season requirement by a couple of weeks (mid-May to mid-October is reasonable for an enthusiast with a wet suit), but it's a beautiful place to live with no shortage of lakes and lake shore. Love the weather, nice people, safe cities, good roads (stay off the bridges though). Property taxes on my lake home, 2.75 acres with 200 feet of lake shore, are $3200/year.

surfacetension
10-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Lake Gerorge NY , the 6 month deal might be tight but the lake is clean and you are 1 hour from Albany , That's where I want to wind up

Mikey
10-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Someday I would like to move somewhere in Maine dontchano. Although I love boating I am more interested in a longer snowmobile/ice fishing season rather than a long boating season. As far as location in Maine I would say an average house on a private lake somewhere near Caribou or Presque Isle. I plan on doing this in about 3 years when my time is up with the military.

milkmania
10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Where would you live??

hands down!

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=288844&postcount=2563

mitch
10-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Someday I would like to move somewhere in Maine dontchano. Although I love boating I am more interested in a longer snowmobile/ice fishing season rather than a long boating season. As far as location in Maine I would say an average house on a private lake somewhere near Caribou or Presque Isle. I plan on doing this in about 3 years when my time is up with the military.

Maybe a Mia Tai or 3 at Tiki's in Caribou. Great snowmobiling, but way too cold up there.

I think I'd probably chose somewhere in Central Fla

CVandEVD
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
I'd live in my Grandparents huge house on 100 Acres...

BGcraft
10-21-2007, 09:56 PM
NJSkier, check out Lake Burton in north GA...meets most of your criteria.

Currently live in Nashville but grew up in Atlanta and enjoyed summers on Burton. Absolutely gorgeous and unique lake in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

And just thinking Nashville might even be worth considering. Medical sector/hospitals big part of Nashville's business orientation...Vanderbilt, HCA, Baptist, etc.

Nashville lakes/areas include: Center Hill, Dale Hollow, Rock Island (Caney Fork River), or even Land Between the Lakes (KY). Old Hickory and Percy Priest both within 20 mins of d'town, however, much less secluded and don't offer the "getting out of the city" for the weekend feel imo.

Best.

BG

lanier92prostar
10-21-2007, 09:58 PM
One of my favorite lakes in the US is Lake Burton. But bring your checkbook, it is also one of the most expensive to live on.

TX.X-30 fan
10-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Minnesota. Might be pushing your 6 month ski season requirement by a couple of weeks (mid-May to mid-October is reasonable for an enthusiast with a wet suit), but it's a beautiful place to live with no shortage of lakes and lake shore. Love the weather, nice people, safe cities, good roads (stay off the bridges though). Property taxes on my lake home, 2.75 acres with 200 feet of lake shore, are $3200/year.

Minnesota??? 6 mo. ski season, only if you include snow. :D

Yesterday. :D

Just looks warm doesn't it. ;)

Mikey
10-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Maybe a Mia Tai or 3 at Tiki's in Caribou. Great snowmobiling, but way too cold up there.

I think I'd probably chose somewhere in Central Fla

Im one of the few people that moved down south from way up north that cant wait to get back to the cold weather. I heard that they have one of the nicest groomed trail system that there is. If I ever move to Caribou I will definately check out Tiki's.:cool:

Jerseydave
10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
My aunt and uncle use to live in Elk River, MN now somewhere near St. Cloud. Nice summers (watch those mosquitos) but I've seen too many pictures of snow in the winter higher than the stop signs! Oh yeah, they winter in Arizona! :)

Thinking of Maryland myself............not much fresh water but talk about miles of bay! Property on the water is pretty pricey in MD though. Taxes are okay.

TX.X-30 fan
10-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Im one of the few people that moved down south from way up north that cant wait to get back to the cold weather. I heard that they have one of the nicest groomed trail system that there is. If I ever move to Caribou I will definately check out Tiki's.:cool:

Just don't have any idea how someone would want to live in black slush for that much of the year. I can understand if you were to enjoy winter sports. I guess I have just lived in warm weather for so long I have no objectivity about the subject. All said and done we all have to do what we feel is right for us and our families?

That Yankee go home crap is a joke by the way. :rolleyes:

Mikey
10-21-2007, 10:59 PM

Just don't have any idea how someone would want to live in black slush for that much of the year. I can understand if you were to enjoy winter sports. I guess I have just lived in warm weather for so long I have no objectivity about the subject. All said and done we all have to do what we feel is right for us and our families?

That Yankee go home crap is a joke by the way. :rolleyes:

I love the winter sports. I grew up snoboarding, ice fishing, and racing snomobiles. I guess I just miss it.

After living in Louisiana for 7 years I am definately used to the Yankee jokes.:) My favorite one is the bumper sticker that I saw that said "Teach a Yankee how to drive, point his car north". :D

JohnE
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM

It is a great time if you are serious about coming down. I went last year partly because I was buying an '05 from Mike. I bought it in February and was going to have it shipped, but decided to pick it up at CSM instead. I'm going back because it was so much fun. Before I decided to go, my wife said "yeah, we can go if you want"... but didn't think I was serious. After the trip, she said it was so much fun and wants to go back as much as I do.

So, work on the wife.;)

shepherd
10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Thinking of Maryland myself............not much fresh water but talk about miles of bay! Property on the water is pretty pricey in MD though. Taxes are okay.

I grew up in MD and spent a lot of time around the Bay. If you want to spend a lot of time skiing and swimming, stay away from that area. The sea nettles (jellyfish) will keep you out of the water during the warmer months. Some summers are worse than others but it wasn't unusual to see the jellyfish so thick in the Bay that you couldn't jump in and climb right back out without getting stung. This is one reason I moved out of the area -- that and the miserable winters.

Fresh water lakes are practically nonexistent, so you are pretty much limited to the upper reaches of the rivers, such as the Severn, Patuxent and Potomac, to find "swimmable" water.

mitch
10-22-2007, 08:13 PM

I go up a few times a year. It's very nice riding but low on scenic surrounding. Felt like I was riding on the moon. Potato fields for miles and miles.....Almost hit a moose at 70 on my last trip, scared the cra* outta me. People are really nice up there!

TX.X-30 fan
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Looking good here to me?

And here?

Harvey
10-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Looking good here to me?

And here?

GOD BLESSED TEXAS WITH HIS OWN HAND!!!!

TX.X-30 fan
10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
GOD BLESSED TEXAS WITH HIS OWN HAND!!!!

Careful there Harvey, There is quite a bit of "Texas" envy up there in Michigander land. :D :D

TMCNo1
10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
There is a 3 1/4 acre waterfront lot for sale on Belews Lake, 7 miles from our house, on cud-de-sac asking price, $398K! It gently slopes to the water, minimal trees, faces NW, overlooking a cove and is at the North end of the slalom course. Nicest lot on the lake IMO, but these lots have a common boat slip area, no piers, covered lifts or lifts allowed at the residents and there are no more slips available and can't be built. If I could just afford......................................OH, well!

Jerseydave
10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I grew up in MD and spent a lot of time around the Bay. If you want to spend a lot of time skiing and swimming, stay away from that area. The sea nettles (jellyfish) will keep you out of the water during the warmer months. Some summers are worse than others but it wasn't unusual to see the jellyfish so thick in the Bay that you couldn't jump in and climb right back out without getting stung. This is one reason I moved out of the area -- that and the miserable winters.

Fresh water lakes are practically nonexistent, so you are pretty much limited to the upper reaches of the rivers, such as the Severn, Patuxent and Potomac, to find "swimmable" water.

Upper Ches. bay is fresh or brackish, not much problem with nettles. (Northeast river, Elk river, Sassafras, Bohemia.) I have a favorite spot, but can't spoil it for myself by telling everyone.

Belews lake sounds nice too!

Slinkyredfoot
10-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Anywere in or around a lake anywhere in the world....I just love the water....

6ballsisall
10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
For 7 figures I'd build my own lake from scratch w/ a course and build a house. Done deal.......