PDA

View Full Version : Replace Transmission Filter Cover on V-Drive

izzydog
10-21-2007, 09:24 AM
I removed the transmission filter to winterize my 2000 Maristar V-Drive, it has a ZF-Hurth 630 transmission. I turned the entire unit with allen wrench, and the top popped out with help from a screw driver. Manual shows the cover in several pieces, but it was just one solid piece covering the filter. Drained fluid and replaced the old filter, Now I am having trouble getting the cover back in, the cover does not appear to be threaded and is tight due to O-rings. Any advice?
Thanks

rkmason
10-21-2007, 11:38 AM
I had mine off a few years ago, and I remember it was just a press-fit install. Think I lubed the oring and turned the cover using an allen wrench while pushing it down to get it to seat. I remember wondering at the time why this cover was not held on more securely, but it's never been a problem either.

bigmac
10-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Press fit -- may require a little tap-tap with a plastic mallet (if you have room). Once the top is seated, the hex bolt is what holds it down.

http://mccollister.info/tranny.jpg

izzydog
10-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Press fit -- may require a little tap-tap with a plastic mallet (if you have room). Once the top is seated, the hex bolt is what holds it down.

http://mccollister.info/tranny.jpg
Thanks for your quick reply. Still having trouble getting it seated due to O Ring. Tried tapping in, it just bounces around. The top of the cover, without the filter, does not come apart, and the hex bolt does not appear to want to move at all. Should the 2 pieces on top of filter separate (as shown in your diagram)?

kskib046
10-22-2007, 09:27 PM
yes they will seperate, put the cover in a vice between two pieces of wood, and put a wrench on the allen. you may want to scrape paint off first around the cap. the next time is a lot easier.

izzydog
10-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Tried putting in vise, scraped paint, still no luck getting the top of the thing to budge. Will keep trying!

izzydog
11-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Tried putting in vise, scraped paint, still no luck getting the top of the thing to budge. Will keep trying!
Couldn't get the hex nut on top of the thing to budge, it was frozen up tight. I put it in a vise, but it was starting to cut into the top of the cap. Had to buy a new assembly, luckily the good people at Mastercraft of Charlotte got me a used one for about 1/3 the price of new from ZF Hurth. After getting the new (used) unit, it easily went back in and I am back in business.