PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rebel Xti-Advise Needed

TheOneandOnly
10-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Were debating two cameras different styles of cameras and I cant make up my mind. The first is a Canon Rebel SLR xti camera and the second is a variety of the smaller canon compact digital cameras.

Im wondering if any of the smaller canon (or other makers) compact cameras take non-lagging photos (i.e. flash as soon as the button is pressed?) We keep going back to these since you can easily put them in a belt case and are easier to lug around. But we need something that flashes on command.

Side note--were looking to use it for wakeboarding-family use not looking to get into professional photography or pro-editing.

tuffenuff
10-21-2007, 12:36 AM
I recently upgraded to the Canon Rebel 30D Digital from my Canon 35mm Elan. The price point was in my range and I will never go back! The camera takes awsome picz, and really no lag time to speak of. I am not remembering the exact FPS. My father-inlaw bought the Canon compact (not sure of the model) and it takes great pictures also, but he is constantly complaining about the lag time. If you want good sequence shots, and some awsome action shotz, step up to the digital. I have used friends "Top Shelf" Canons and yes they take quality shotz too. But I am totally impressed with the behind the boat shotz I am getting and everything else that I snap. Lenses are a key and because all my lenses and acc. from my Elan fit my digital, I haven't had to spend anymore $$. I would post picz taken, but they all have to be downsized to fit on this site which loses the quality I speak of. I have a hummingbird shot in my back yard that you can actually see his wings stilled and not blurred. Samething with a dragonfly. These Canons take awsome shotz all around.
O.K. I'm done rambling. Next review!!

3event
10-21-2007, 09:10 AM
I LOVE my Rebel XT. Got it for $620 with the kit 18-55mm lens at www.bhphotovideo.com (a great dealer), about a year ago. Get it, you will love it. And if you eventually convince yourself to drop coin on some really nice lenses, you will be even more impressed. I bought the 70-200 F4L this year and it's a fantastic sports lens.

bigmac
10-21-2007, 11:19 AM
My preference would be Nikon, especially in the entry level digital SLR, category...but whichever, a digital SLR like the Rebel represents a vast improvement in the potential (emphasize potential) for image quality over a point-and-shoot that fits in a belt pouch. No question that the trade-off is convenience vs image quality. I have both - a professional level Nikon and a Canon Elph. I take the dSLR when the image quality matters. That includes any boating pictures. If it's a water picture worth taking, it's worth taking with a good camera. I wouldn't even consider using the Elph for images of people skiing or wakeboarding. Bikinis in the boat, yes. Action shots...never.

Note that in order to get the most out of your digital images, editing is required using something like PhotoShop Elements ($99). If you don't want to do any image editing, then you might as well get the point-and-shoot, because image quality isn't your priority in which case the down side of a digital SLR will outweigh the benefits for you. In that case, we're talking about snapshots and a Canon Elph is better for that than a Rebel because of its portability. Shutter lag is an issue - it's the nature of the way point-and-shoots work given their sensor size and focusing method, but some of the more modern ones are pretty good in that regard. One of the better buying guide matrices I've seen is at Digital Photo Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp). They also have very good reviews on many of the major cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp), and their specs in the full reviews include shutter timing and lag.

If you're going to buy a camera online, be very, very careful...lots and lots of scam artists in the online camera biz. Note that, in general, the lower the price you see advertised, the more likely you are to get screwed. I agree that B&H Photo in New York is very likely the best in the biz. They aren't the cheapest, but they are utterly reliable.

JDK
10-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Were debating two cameras different styles of cameras and I cant make up my mind.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s3-review/
This is Canon's compromise between a dSLR and point and shoot. They are somewhat smaller than a dSLR so they are a lot more handy. There is now an S5 out, so you can get these S3's for around $300.
The big features these cameras have is the 12X optical zoom, image stabilizer, lots of manual functions and they take awesome pics (all reviews I've ever read say this).

TheOneandOnly
10-23-2007, 10:00 AM
thanks for the info guys, anyone have experience with canon 40d. I have a friend that will sell me his for 750.00, and was only used for 2-3mths.

I think were going to buy one compact, and one professional. So we can compliment each on different occasions.

RK@UST
10-23-2007, 10:03 AM
thanks for the info guys, anyone have experience with canon 40d. I have a friend that will sell me his for 750.00, and was only used for 2-3mths.

I think were going to buy one compact, and one professional. So we can compliment each on different occasions.
I will buy it for that.!!!!
I just bought a 30 D for $700 and that's the going rate for a used like new 30D. That is a very good deal on the 40D.

3event
10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Check camera reviews, www.fredmiranda.com is one place. Used could be a great deal, esp if you know the user and history of unit.

Also.... my father-in-law has a S3 (mentioned above), and LOVES it. If you want to save some money and may never need what a SLR offers, this one has the built in image stabilization and 12X zoom. But the package is the package, you dont add lenses and etc. later to get more flexible.

bdecker
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I went with the Nikon D80 and absolutely love it. The quick response has resulted in some great shots, especially when taking candid family photos. My wife has also taken some skiing shots which have come out great as well. We've been extremely happy with it.

TheOneandOnly
10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Check camera reviews, www.fredmiranda.com is one place. Used could be a great deal, esp if you know the user and history of unit.

Also.... my father-in-law has a S3 (mentioned above), and LOVES it. If you want to save some money and may never need what a SLR offers, this one has the built in image stabilization and 12X zoom. But the package is the package, you dont add lenses and etc. later to get more flexible.

One thing that we want is quick shutter speed, having it repetative is nice, but main thing is gettting the shot we want when we press the button. Does the S3 lag from your experience--like some of the compacts?

bigmac
10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
One thing that we want is quick shutter speed, having it repetative is nice, but main thing is gettting the shot we want when we press the button. Does the S3 lag from your experience--like some of the compacts?

The lag from full press to shutter and write image on the S3 is an average of 0.5 second. Bear in mind that this is in optimal lighting. Less optimal conditions will slow that down due to the autofocus limitations. AF on the S3 isn't as good nor as fast as the Rebel, and the shutter lag on that camera is about zero.

Nothing wrong with the S3 for snapshots and family memories.

3event
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Ditto on what Bigmac said. You still have to plan ahead for shutter lag on the S3 when you want a specific shot.

Everyone I know that upgraded to SLR has been VERY happy they chose that route. In any case, how can you put a price and full and accurate renderings of treasured memories???? :D :D (good story for the wife)

TheOneandOnly
10-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Ditto on what Bigmac said. You still have to plan ahead for shutter lag on the S3 when you want a specific shot.

Everyone I know that upgraded to SLR has been VERY happy they chose that route. In any case, how can you put a price and full and accurate renderings of treasured memories???? :D :D (good story for the wife)

Shes easy to convice, I have to watch out since shes a spender ;) I agree the SLR seems awesome and I think were going to go that route first, now I just need to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck...

bigmac
10-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Shes easy to convice, I have to watch out since shes a spender ;) I agree the SLR seems awesome and I think were going to go that route first, now I just need to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck...

Comparison at DP Review... (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_eos400d%2Cnikon_d40x%2Cnikon_d50%2Cn ikon_d80%2Ccanon_eos30d%2Ccanon_eos350d&show=all)

TheOneandOnly
10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
thanks bigmac awesome comparison link