PDA

View Full Version : water pump question

djkslc
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I had my temp rise to 240 after I pulled a skier last week. I pulled the plate off that covers my water pump. I will attach a photo of it. The rubber looks good, but on the passenger side of the engine, the rubber "paddles" are bent over by a piece of metal. It looks like the piece of metal is supposed to be there, but it looks funny so I thought I would post pictures to see if it looks normal.

TMCNo1
10-20-2007, 10:05 PM
The compression of the paddles by the narrow portion of the pump is normal and that is what creates the suction to pull in raw water to the pump. I would go ahead and change the impeller just as a start to be sure. When was the last time the impeller was replaced?

JohnnyB
10-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Change the impeller and also check the screen on the intake side of the transmission cooler for debris.....

djkslc
10-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I have only owned the boat for 1 year, so i don't know when it was replaced last. It looks pretty good though. However last week was the last time the temp has ever been over 180. Also how do you take that out? i thought it would slide out, but it did'nt.

djkslc
10-20-2007, 10:09 PM
"also check the screen on the intake side of the transmission cooler for debris"

Is that the line that goes in at the top, or down on the lower drivers side. 1991 Maristar 210 454 with a velvet drive 1:1

JohnnyB
10-20-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm not that familiar with V-drives (I think that's what the 91 maristar was), however, if you follow the water intake from the point it comes through the hull, it will either go to the transmission cooler and then to the raw water pump OR to the raw water pump and then the transmission cooler....the screen is on the inlet side to filter debris from getting further into the loop.

If you stick your finger in the inlet side of the tranny cooler (heat exchanger) you'll feel the screen.

As for getting the impeller out, I bought a puller from West Marine. However, many folks use a pair of vise grips, others have screwed drywall screws into the rubber close to the center and pulled it out with plyers.....

Often times, the vanes of the impeller will look fine on the outside and when you pull it you'll find that the middles are missing on a bunch of the vanes....the middle is the part that does the work.

rholmes
10-20-2007, 11:45 PM
The 89-94 maristar's are direct drives, not v-drives. I have an 351 in my Maristar 210, and looking at the engine from the the bow, my cooler is on the right side of the boat. Should be black in color with a pair of heavy duty rubber lines running to the tranny. The cooler is about the size of a Coors lite can. I used a pair of paint can openers on mine. Worked great .

tuffenuff
10-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Not to thread jack, but I never knew that the tranny lines had a screen or filter. All season my boat would speratically climb to 210 (both at an idle or under a load, and never a pattern), and then quickly drop to normal operating temp.(160ish) just by accelerating or decelerating. I changed impeller, thermo, temp. sensor, flushed and everything else short of putting a new gauge in it. Boat never overheated, and it was more of a pain in the arse that I have been trying to make go away. Could this possibly be my problem? Again, I apologize for the jumping in. Thanx in advance for any input.

JDK
10-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Could this possibly be my problem?

Yes.
The tranny lines don't have a screen. The tranny cooler is located on the fresh water intake line, between the water pick-up on the bottom of the hull and the raw water pump on the front of the engine.
Remove the water hose on the intake side of this cooler - the side closest to the pick up (NOT the oil lines) and use your finger inside the cooler to check for any crud in there.

bigmac
10-21-2007, 02:16 AM
My transmission cooler is located between the raw water pump output hose and the thermostat housing, not between hull intake and RW pump. It's about a 20 inch hose between the RW pump output and transmission cooler input. Undo that hose and pull it off the input side of the cooler and you'll feel the strainer in there.

JDK's must be different from these later models.

JohnnyB
10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
My transmission cooler is located between the raw water pump output hose and the thermostat housing, not between hull intake and RW pump. It's about a 20 inch hose between the RW pump output and transmission cooler input. Undo that hose and pull it off the input side of the cooler and you'll feel the strainer in there.

JDK's must be different from these later models.

That's why I walked through the two different scenarios :D

My '92 Prostar had the transmission cooler between the hull pickup (intake) and the raw water pump.

My '04 Prostar has the transmission cooler between the raw water pump and the thermostat body

tuffenuff
10-21-2007, 12:36 PM
My boat has the closed cooling system so the hose config looks like a plate of spagetti, but I will focus on the lines that end up near/into the tranny and take all your advise. Thanx JDK and bigmac. You too JohnnyB..

JohnnyB
10-21-2007, 06:30 PM
My boat has the closed cooling system so the hose config looks like a plate of spagetti, but I will focus on the lines that end up near/into the tranny and take all your advise. Thanx JDK and bigmac. You too JohnnyB..

Closed cooling system is an interesting added fact.....I'm not very familiar with them....hopefully someone with some knowledge on a closed cooling system can chime in and offer some advice....