PDA

View Full Version : RTP vs Rear boot

MasterMason
03-11-2005, 10:38 PM
All,

This might have been done before my time, but I was curious who used a RTP vs a Rear boot. And for those that use RTP, do you drag your free foot when coming out of the water, or put it in the ski?

bradamerry
03-11-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm good!!! I can drag or leave that puppy in, but I use the RTP. BriOED I don't need your comment here ;) !

Nova Scotia Skier
03-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Rear boot. Love the comfort and no heel movement. :D

Lake_Tippy_Skier
03-11-2005, 10:56 PM
rtp, both feet in...

Mag_Red
03-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Skied for years on a Basset Ski. (bet no one ever heard of that brand ) It replaced my Taperflex. They didn't even offer a rear boot when I was in my prime. Got up goofy footed, dragging my left foot till I was up. Now that I'm an ole man............got me one of those new fangled rear boots :headbang: Took a while to get used to it....but I have to agree there is better control.

MarkP
03-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Use Rear Boot AND both feet in...:wavey:

bradamerry
03-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh really ;) !

MasterMason
03-11-2005, 11:19 PM

I would have been even more impressed if you used the rear boot and drug your foot... :o

MarkP
03-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I would have been even more impressed if you used the rear boot and drug your foot... :o
But no hands sometimes:toast:

MasterMason
03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
But no hands sometimes:toast:

Isn't that called falling?

T Scott
03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
I figure if Andy Mapple uses a RTP, so should I. I use a RTP and drag a foot on the starts. I like the RTP because i can cheat a little on my off side by shifting my heel slightly.

bradamerry
03-11-2005, 11:29 PM
I figure if Andy Mapple uses a RTP, so should I. I use a RTP and drag a foot on the starts. I like the RTP because i can cheat a little on my off side by shifting my heel slightly.
And you can always be ready to drag the back foot, for dropping that ski and doing some footin.

Nova Scotia Skier
03-11-2005, 11:40 PM
And you can always be ready to drag the back foot, for dropping that ski and doing some footin.
Man I tried stepping off a ski once for some footin(on a dare), and I'm not too keen to try it again. Fastest faceplant I ever did. However, I have tried deepwater a couple of times since then. Havn't been successful yet (you guys probably knew that without me saying it). I have no boom. Are there any tips anyone wants to give? I would like to try again this year.

Sorry, kind of off the subject. :)

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-11-2005, 11:41 PM
That's what I'm talkin about!!!!

bradamerry
03-11-2005, 11:42 PM
I took a lot of faceplants before I ever rode for awhile. Not the easiest way to learn. :(

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-11-2005, 11:52 PM
That's the way I learned thirty some years ago. Things are much nicer now. It is amazing what barefoot wetsuits, booms and extended pylons do to ease the pains.

Hoosier Bob
03-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Cheak it out to the good stuff. Once your there plant the heals and do a whole new face plant! Try the kneeboard. It is by far the easiest way to go bare! :dance: Oh yeah, double wraps!Man I tried stepping off a ski once for some footin(on a dare), and I'm not too keen to try it again. Fastest faceplant I ever did. However, I have tried deepwater a couple of times since then. Havn't been successful yet (you guys probably knew that without me saying it). I have no boom. Are there any tips anyone wants to give? I would like to try again this year.

Nova Scotia Skier
03-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Thanks Bob :)

Bongo
03-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Man I tried stepping off a ski once for some footin(on a dare), and I'm not too keen to try it again. Fastest faceplant I ever did. However, I have tried deepwater a couple of times since then. Havn't been successful yet (you guys probably knew that without me saying it). I have no boom. Are there any tips anyone wants to give? I would like to try again this year.

1st, on the topic that started the thread: Rear boot. I used to be a drag to start (given lack of adequate horsepower) guy. At that time, I could envision absolutely no gain by using a rear boot. A buddy of mine had a good ski with rear boot that I learned to use (O’Brien, TRX or TRC, I think). Later my own Lapoint O’Brien. Boy, good to have a very firm rear foot.

2nd, on the topic of dropping the last ski: I learned to barefoot using a kneeboard at the end of a long line. Then moved to deep water starts.

One day at the lake, I decided I’d show off and barefoot. My girlfriend (now my wife), my roommate and his girlfriend were with. None all that experienced on the water and not yet good boat drivers. Hey, starting from one ski and dropping it should be easier, since I don’t have an experienced driver.

I hop from one ski to none and go a$$ over tea-kettle. A little sting as I fall. As I crawl into the boat, my roommate sees I’m in trouble and helps me in. His girlfriend sees bone. Uh oh. Very clean cut on my shin and no bleeding. They take me back, so I can head to the hospital.

On the ride to the landing, I determine nobody else can back up a trailer. Arrrghhhh. I need to get to the ER, but now gotta get my boat off the water. So I had them drop me off at the landing, backed the trailer into the water and left the rest to my roommate and my girlfriend as his girlfriend drove me to the closest hospital.

When I get in the hospital, they don’t really believe I’m in pain and there’s no blood so they shuffle me to the end of the line. After checking in and watching others go ahead, I decided to move my way up in line. Started tapping my leg, got a towel full of blood – and voila, I’m at the front of the line. A few X-Rays and 20 stitches later, my girlfriend finally shows up.

…I still don’t understand why my wife won’t pull me barefoot skiing.

Bongo

SteveO
03-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Had an old EP with plate and went to KD 7000 last summer with double boots and love them.

Professor
03-12-2005, 09:36 AM
RTP and drag ... Bongo, great read.

ski_king
03-12-2005, 09:39 AM
RTP, sometimes in, sometimes drag. Depends on whos driving.

André
03-12-2005, 10:21 AM
RTP and depends on how i feel,either way is good.
When i got my KD 7000 ,i bought it with 2 full boots thinking that i would adapt real fast skiing as much as i do.The result was hilarious.My knees position felt ackward(SP),my back feet was cramped ,couldn't take it out on breathers,and just skiing bad.
Bought another kind of KD fulll boot for the rear,supposed to have more freedom of movement:same result!
Back with my RTP since then.It would be nice to have a more "wrapping " RTP with some kind of behind the foot bungee strap that would hold the foot better but still allowed my heel to move.
The KD RTP is bs.It only go over the really front of your feet and not toward the anckle.I did modified mine so that i could get my feet deeper in it.
Maybe if my season was longer i would sacrifice a good part of it to learn how to ski with 2 full boots on,but no time with a 4 months season...
And as someone else poted earlier,"If it's good enough for Andy..."

MasterMason
03-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Well, Pretty close on RTP vs boot so far

André
03-13-2005, 03:15 PM
When i see all the new hardboots and systems availaible i wish i could ski with 2 full boots!

BriEOD
03-13-2005, 10:55 PM

Same here.

east tx skier
03-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Double boots. The only time I use a toe plate is on the Maha longboard.

/did I mention I skied all weekend?

Hoosier Bob
03-13-2005, 11:29 PM
E Texas. Just because yours (ski season) is longer than ours doesn't mean we want to hear about it! I guess everything is bigger in Texas, remember the Alamo! Took the tour and have never forgotten! :worthy:

Ric
03-13-2005, 11:33 PM
double boot
I thought I'd never like it but when my foot started slipping out of the rtp, I switched and after a SHORT familiarization, the ski just feels more a part of you. I can only imagine how hard shells ski.

east tx skier
03-13-2005, 11:54 PM
E Texas. Just because yours (ski season) is longer than ours doesn't mean we want to hear about it! I guess everything is bigger in Texas, remember the Alamo! Took the tour and have never forgotten! :worthy:

Sorry. I'm just excited because this is the earliest I've gotten my wife out on the water to drive. Didn't hurt that it was 85 degrees on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
03-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Now you're killing me! I'm freezing in my dreams! Send some more photos and we can live through you! :banana: Sorry. I'm just excited because this is the earliest I've gotten my wife out on the water to drive. Didn't hurt that it was 85 degrees on Saturday. :rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Worry not, it's already gotten chilly enough again to keep me off the water. I'm heading to CO on Saturday for a week in the snow, but should be on the water by the following weekend. If it's any consolation, we had wind advisories here. The big lake had white caps and the ride to the river really beat us up. I won't describe the water on the tree-lined river (no reason to kick a guy while he's down).

No pictures. With chilly water, I don't give my wife anything to do but drive. I did enjoy seeing my boat on a lift for the first time though. There are some benefits to having basically the same boat as my father-in-law, who just built a boat house.

tex
03-14-2005, 11:37 AM
old school-RTP-Drag
sunny and 85 on Saturday-Wind was about 40mph-no skiing

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 12:03 PM
The wind was nuts. We had wind advisories, too. It got even worse on Sunday when the front rolled in. Fortunately, we had a bayou lined with cypress trees on both sides. So once we got over there (going 10 mph), wind wasn't a factor.

Ric
03-14-2005, 12:40 PM
checked my ski again..... yep it still has a rear boot.
sat by the pool in the sun and sipped a rita while doug was skiing
ya, it was horribly windy - I wouldnt have gone to the lake at all ----BS

André
03-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Do you expect "IT" soon?
That really suck...

east tx skier
03-14-2005, 12:45 PM
We got plenty wet getting to the river with the rollers hitting us from the side. When we got back to the lake house on Sunday I didn't even try to put it back on the lift. It was hard enough getting it on the trailer with the rollers heading our way. Our cove is usually calm except with winds out of the east, which are surprisingly uncommon thank goodness.

jayderwin1
03-14-2005, 12:52 PM
gotta have the rear boot makes all the difference for me.

BriEOD
03-14-2005, 02:43 PM
I agree, the boots make a big difference!

Leroy
03-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't see the voting option for dropping a ski?

aprgriggs
03-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I was thinking of getting a rear boot because my foot always feels like it is slipping out of the RTP. What is so bad about a rear boot? and is there away to make the RTP feel any better?

Ric
03-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I was thinking of getting a rear boot because my foot always feels like it is slipping out of the RTP. What is so bad about a rear boot? and is there away to make the RTP feel any better?
hang it on the wall and get a rear boot. RTP will feel better there. You'll love the boot after about 3-5 passes

tex
03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Start footing!

André
03-23-2005, 05:24 PM
hang it on the wall and get a rear boot. RTP will feel better there. You'll love the boot after about 3-5 passes
Not sure about that Ric...I for one just can't get use to it.

MarkP
03-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I agree.. I have loved the rear boot from day ONE.. I think if you drag one it may make it tough to get used to. I always had both feet in, even before I went to the rear boot.

Ric
03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Not sure about that Ric...I for one just can't get use to it.
I always thought that too Andre, and what I did was get a size larger rear boot for starters so I could still feel "free", and of course canted it as well so it wouldnt feel awkward.

Ric
03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I agree.. I have loved the rear boot from day ONE.. I think if you drag one it may make it tough to get used to. I always had both feet in, even before I went to the rear boot.

Ya, that may play into it because I never dragged a foot either. I still always thought a rear boot would be too awkward and of course, ANDY doesn't use one!

rodltg2
03-23-2005, 06:56 PM
i cant believe mapple uses a a rtp.

MarkP
03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Ya, ANDY doesn't use one!
I’ll bet if he did, he wouldn’t have to retire at such a young age :D

André
03-23-2005, 07:11 PM
I always thought that too Andre, and what I did was get a size larger rear boot for starters so I could still feel "free", and of course canted it as well so it wouldnt feel awkward.

Good idea!
For my third attempt to go twin boot this summer,i was thinking of using a cheap Taperflex like adjustable with the 2 pieces.Maybe that could get me use to the position and still allow me to move my back feet around a bit...I agree on canting the rear binding either a full boot or RTP.I have found it more "Knee friendly". LOL :toast:

PendO
08-11-2005, 04:35 PM
1st, on the topic that started the thread: Rear boot. I used to be a drag to start (given lack of adequate horsepower) guy. At that time, I could envision absolutely no gain by using a rear boot. A buddy of mine had a good ski with rear boot that I learned to use (O’Brien, TRX or TRC, I think). Later my own Lapoint O’Brien. Boy, good to have a very firm rear foot.

2nd, on the topic of dropping the last ski: I learned to barefoot using a kneeboard at the end of a long line. Then moved to deep water starts.

One day at the lake, I decided I’d show off and barefoot. My girlfriend (now my wife), my roommate and his girlfriend were with. None all that experienced on the water and not yet good boat drivers. Hey, starting from one ski and dropping it should be easier, since I don’t have an experienced driver.

I hop from one ski to none and go a$$ over tea-kettle. A little sting as I fall. As I crawl into the boat, my roommate sees I’m in trouble and helps me in. His girlfriend sees bone. Uh oh. Very clean cut on my shin and no bleeding. They take me back, so I can head to the hospital.

On the ride to the landing, I determine nobody else can back up a trailer. Arrrghhhh. I need to get to the ER, but now gotta get my boat off the water. So I had them drop me off at the landing, backed the trailer into the water and left the rest to my roommate and my girlfriend as his girlfriend drove me to the closest hospital.

When I get in the hospital, they don’t really believe I’m in pain and there’s no blood so they shuffle me to the end of the line. After checking in and watching others go ahead, I decided to move my way up in line. Started tapping my leg, got a towel full of blood – and voila, I’m at the front of the line. A few X-Rays and 20 stitches later, my girlfriend finally shows up.

…I still don’t understand why my wife won’t pull me barefoot skiing.

Bongo

That's hard core! As for Andy and the RTP, sure looks like it. www.andymapple.com

3event
08-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I took a fall in '87 on a Jobe with RTP. My front foot remained in the ski and it hit the water first. Ski rotated, I didnt. Ligaments pulled the ankle so hard I had stress fractures in 3 places. Lost season. Converted to a Concept with double boot the following year. Others may disagree on safety, I always figure with double boot you will either keep both feet in, or pop em both out - either is preferable to 1 stuck foot. In any case, I love the control and wouldn't go back even aside from safety concerns.....

PendO
08-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure about his pull ... yup, I'm sure, mine doesn't look like that!

PendO
08-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I took a fall in '87 on a Jobe with RTP. My front foot remained in the ski and it hit the water first. Ski rotated, I didnt. Ligaments pulled the ankle so hard I had stress fractures in 3 places. Lost season. Converted to a Concept with double boot the following year. Others may disagree on safety, I always figure with double boot you will either keep both feet in, or pop em both out - either is preferable to 1 stuck foot. In any case, I love the control and wouldn't go back even aside from safety concerns.....

ouch man ... whatever works ... fwiw there are some pretty cool slalom pics at his website ... I generally use a RTP b/c the water is so friggin' cold when the season starts (takes your breath away so you can barely say hit it) so we learned to jump start off the dock ... naturally we just kept using the RTP so we could keep jump starting later in the year ... the water warms up, but your friends think it is pretty cool ... its like putting your thumb over or behind the shaft on your golf clubs, no wrong or right reason, but some are better with it a particular way.

stevo137
08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Editing...