PDA

View Full Version : i bought another MC?

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
yesterday i was bidding on an mc on ebay. just over an hour before the auction ended someone had outbid me. i check my email this morning and i get the message from ebay that i won the auction. can someone retract the bid before the auction ends??
i have not correspnded with the owner yet, i sent him an email but have not heard back. so if indeed i won it, it looks like i bought another mc..

ski_king
10-17-2007, 01:19 PM
yesterday i was bidding on an mc on ebay. just over an hour before the auction ended someone had outbid me. i check my email this morning and i get the message from ebay that i won the auction. can someone retract the bid before the auction ends??
i have not correspnded with the owner yet, i sent him an email but have not heard back. so if indeed i won it, it looks like i bought another mc..
got a link to the ebay listing?

Monte
10-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Wasn't there a scam going around recently on fleabay where the loosing bidders on an item were contacted after the auction end and told they won??? The scammers made it look like ebay, just not ebay.. Just FYI

If you did win it.... welcome back:cool:

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 01:30 PM
well its on the actual ebay site as well under my ebay and on the listing. all i can think is someone decided to back out at the last minute, or the owner put in fake bid to try and raise the price.

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 01:32 PM
its a fixer upper, so it will be a fun winter project

Monte
10-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, lets see some pictures...

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
i just got an email from the owner so it looks like i did win it. it seems legit since i checked my ebay and it showed i was the winner. here is a pic from the auction listing. it looks like i'll be here alot this winter as i know i'll have alot of questions!!

Maristar210
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Rod,

Classic 2nd bidder scam. They'll ask you to send them a substantial deposit next and you'll never hear from them again. Don't fall for it....

east tx skier
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Ebay has something called a second chance offer when the winning bidder backs out. May be crooked, but may be legit.

Ric
10-17-2007, 01:57 PM
rodl, ask them to transfer funds to your bank for double the auction amount and you'll cash them out, and split it with them

M-Funf
10-17-2007, 02:17 PM
That's the one in Berkeley, Rod? I went and looked at it last month...lots of cosmetic (polishing, etc)work needed, but it seemed like a solid boat.

alletric
10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
It sounds like his buddy was running the price up. Before the identities were hidden to protect you from scams I would demand to see negative feedback on the bidder that allegedly backed out. I buy a lot of dirt bikes on Ebay and there are a lot of fake bidders on them. I have been approached for a scam 3 times when being the second highest bidder. Now you don't have a way to check it. If you were truely not the high bidder, and winning through second chance offer, unless you accept the offer you are not responsible for the highest bid you gave. You cannot retract a bid within 12 hours of closing a auction. I would think that as long as you are picking up the boat in person the only thing your out is the money that they ran up the bid. Have you asked him what happened?

flyingskibiker
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
do everything through ebay motors! no outside deals or transactions. if it is a scam, it's your only hope of getting anything back (probably 25% back). i lost $1200 doing a transaction via email after the bidding ended. yes, i'm a dumb a$$...:rolleyes:

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 02:58 PM
there is no second chance offer or did i recieve anything of the sort. my bid was never ran up i won the auction at the last price i bid. what happend is that i bid $3800 and was the highest bidder. i later checked and it had appeared that someone else was the highest bidder so i thought i lost the auction. i went to the ebay site this morning to see what it ended up selling for and i noticed that i was the highest bidder and won the auction. so either someone put in a bid and retracted it ( if it's possible) , or my bowser didnt refersh the page and i looked at an old version when the other guy was the highest bidder. ( i didnt check the price since i was rushing to get home). or i am getting scammed somehow. either way im not paying anything until i pick up the boat.

here is the link

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=320168628628

east tx skier
10-17-2007, 03:05 PM
How did you outbid yourself by $300?

cbryan70
10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
That is a good point, can you even do that.

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 03:19 PM
i hadnt reached the reserve so i bid again.

Ric
10-17-2007, 03:20 PM
How did you outbid yourself by $300? I wondered that too and then thought it was an autobid rodl had entered as a max 3800 which they didnt show the bidder who went over the 3500 ......... or something like that

BrianM
10-17-2007, 03:56 PM
That boat was listed in the marketplace here Oct 10. Definitely looks like a project.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1736&cat=7

east tx skier
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM
i hadnt reached the reserve so i bid again.

That wouldn't raise your bid though. The bid doesn't go up unless someone else bids against you, even if the reserve isn't met. Somebody had to have bid. If they couldn't retract it, it may have been cancelled by the seller. If it were me, I might be inclined to dig a little deeper on this, but even at the price you paid, seem like a good deal.

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 04:25 PM
i dont know what happened, either way. im picking up and paying for the boat in person. so if its a scam the only thing i'll be out is the 1 hour drive.$3800 seems like a good price since the trailer is new. that should be at least worth $1500. it will be a fun winter project!!

KnoxX2
10-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Congrats on the new boat

rektek
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
The guys name is Jim Mason,
it's a legit boat, it was posted on Craigslist SF, I emailed him about this site and he posted in market place. looks like a good deal as long as the floor and stringers are ok ?

JohnE
10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Congrats on the project boat.

When did you get rid of the 197? I read somewhere that you are currently in a cc, but don't remember reading about you getting rid of the green 197.

rodltg2
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
i sold the green 190 in july and picked up an 06 CC. im exicited to pick up this 79. it should be alot of fun to fix it up .

jcbatt
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
That wouldn't raise your bid though. The bid doesn't go up unless someone else bids against you, even if the reserve isn't met. Somebody had to have bid. If they couldn't retract it, it may have been cancelled by the seller. If it were me, I might be inclined to dig a little deeper on this, but even at the price you paid, seem like a good deal.

If the reserve wasn't met on your first bid, and then your next bid, the reserve is met, it will allow you to outbid yourself when there are no other bidders. This is the only scenario where this works.

jimmason
10-18-2007, 12:31 AM
folks, i am the owner of the boat. though ebay and paypal can have lots of issues, this is just a regular guy selling a boat he has loved since 1983. i am the second owner.

i do not know what specifics happened at the end of the auction. i was not even watching. the auction was at 1000 until the last day and i thought there was no interest.

i had the reserve set at 3800. the buy it now at 4300. i think this is much less than it is worth. as rod points out, just the trailer is nearly a 1/3 of that price. there are new rims/tires for it too.

the boat is not a project. it is ready to go after a cleaning. actually, i'm going to do that for rod before he comes to get it. i have had it stored outside in an area where there is lots of dust, so it is dusty. i cleaned and waxed it to nice last may so the clean and shine is not far down. the stringers and floorboards are fine from what i have been able to see.

the main issues needing attention on this boat that i am aware of are minor electrical issues. the lights and bilge pump switches need contact cleaning. i had yet to get to this.

cosmetically, the stickers have cracks like many old boats, and the gel coat on the flake areas is rough. but all very minor for a boat from this era. i replaced the pinstripping since the pictures.

the only project here, if "very good" condition is acceptable, is minor cleaning and prep like an owner would do at the beginning of any season. the boat is actually in better shape than the pictures. i was not able to do a nice photo set. if someone wants a concourse classic boat, yes, there will be more work. but for a very good boat for actual use, i already did the large work in replacing the carpet, upholstery, engine consumables, etc. yes, i did not get a new drivers seat. the last one was a mess.

rod got a great deal. if he decides he does not want it, others here would do well to buy it from him.

jim mason
berkeley, ca

pq2
10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
congrats Rod, please keep posting pictures the project

ski_king
10-18-2007, 12:42 PM
There is nothing like the seller clearing up the questions.

Congrats Rod on the new boat.
Congrats Jim on your sale.

east tx skier
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, no kidding. As I said before, looks like a deal at $3,800. Twas just confused by the wonders of ebay's proxy bid system.

M-Funf
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
the main issues needing attention on this boat that i am aware of are minor electrical issues. the lights and bilge pump switches need contact cleaning. i had yet to get to this.

jim mason
berkeley, ca

Rod (and Jim),
First, congrats on the transaction! Sounds like Rod got a great boat. I was following Jim's boat on Craigslist, and was thinking about making an offer, but since I've already got an old S&S, plus another project boat, I knew that I'd have to sell one to get it, and I can't do that...

I had the same problems with my switches on both the running lights, bilge pump, and blower. I fixed them myself by disassembling them, cleaning up the contacts with sandpaper and re-assembling them. Worked great! If you need more details, I have some pictures of what I did.

Maristar210
10-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't see where Rod was ever out bid. There were no bids cancelled or retracted on the auction. What gives????

alletric
10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Jim my apologies and congratulations on the sale. We were all commenting given a certain set of circumstances reguarding the auction that appear to not be correct.

rodltg2
10-18-2007, 01:15 PM
well i guess jims post clears things up! as soon as i get it home im sure the questions will begin.

wade95
10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I think the only way I'll ever be able to afford a MC is to buy a fixer upper. Looking at the prices of new boats gave me sticker shock.

Grew up learning behind an '85 S&S. If one ever comes available I'll sell my Mustang in a heartbeat!

east tx skier
10-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Congrats on the purchase. I think the only way I'll ever be able to afford a MC is to buy a fixer upper. Looking at the prices of new boats gave me sticker shock.

Grew up learning behind an '85 S&S. If one ever comes available I'll sell my Mustang in a heartbeat!

Buy the one BrianM is shining up for you right this isntant. It's a beauty and he'll make you a screaming deal!

BrianM
10-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Sell the Mustang. I have a really nice '85 that I will make you a great deal on. Added bonus is I am in the southeast as well.

Edit: Thanks for the plug Doug. You beat me to my own punch.

alletric
10-18-2007, 01:55 PM
That thing looks awsome Brian.

KnoxX2
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM

Well Wade I think you have been called out :D

Time to pony up :rolleyes: :cool:

KnoxX2
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
BTW Brian Sweet S&S

jraben8
10-18-2007, 03:11 PM
It's beautiful Brian. Ahhhh, the memories that those bring back...

Wade, you better be getting your checkbook...

rodltg2
10-19-2007, 03:35 PM
okay i think i know what happened. something is up with my browser. im getting my website updated for our contest. and i can't seem to view the changes. when i close out the browser it seems to go back to an old version of the page. doesn matter if i hit f5 or refresh.

so what i think happened was that on my way out from the offcie i opened up aol, checked ebay and saw someone else had the winning bid. since i was in hurry i didnt check the amount, just assumed somone outbid me and i closed it up and left for home. so i had the winnig bid all along.

no if can just fix this browser so i can view my changes that would be great...

AirJunky
10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
The first step is getting rid of AOHe11

Roonie's
10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
The first step is getting rid of AOHe11

Second this. I had AOL for 4 years and it is crappy. When I went to cancel they made it nearly impossible to do so. Multiple calls later I finally got a confirmed cancel.

Monte
10-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Glad it all worked out for you rod.. Make some to photos of the refurb.... BTW welcome back to MC ownership

fintek9
10-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi rod!.....

Footin
10-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Another MC Rod??? Here is what recall about your boat history:

Ski Brendella
197TT
Malibu rlxi
MC 190 stars and stripes
MC 190 newer model
Nautique
A couple of Wakecrafts
A houseboat
190 project boat

Any I forgot?

You have more boats that a small dealership.

ProTour X9
10-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Correct Craft Mustang???:confused:

rodltg2
10-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Another MC Rod??? Here is what recall about your boat history:

Ski Brendella
197TT
Malibu rlxi
MC 190 stars and stripes
MC 190 newer model
Nautique
A couple of Wakecrafts
A houseboat
190 project boat

Any I forgot?

You have more boats that a small dealership.

yes you forgot two :D

2000 MB Sports 190
and a
Dinghy w/ 5hp Merc/

i dont own all of them still though..

SunCoast 83
10-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Congrats on the boat Rod, you need to get some good before and after pics up. That thing is gonna be sweet by the spring im sure. And Brian, that '85 S&S is a jewel. I almost bought an '84 with those same colors. I opted for the metalflake instead...Happy polishing gentelman :)

rodltg2
10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
there are still good people out there... it looks like i won't be getting the boat after all. i drove down to pick it yesterday and unfortunatley missed the seller's email. turns out he had not ran the boat since the spring time. he proceeded to start it yesterday morning and the boat was running rough. after some investigations , there was no compression in one cylinder and a stuck valve. he was honest enough to tell me so i didnt get stuck with a problem. i already had made the drive , but lucked out . i bought some glass for my shower and the place happened to be across the street.

otherwise the boat was in pretty good shape for its age. i told him once he gets it fixed to call me and i may still be interested. im not much of mechanic so i am not prepared for this type of project.

east tx skier
10-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Bummer. Glad you were dealing with an honest person though.

G-man
10-24-2007, 04:05 PM
It is great when somone is upfront on something like this.

wade95
10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
PM sent to Brian.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-26-2007, 01:00 AM
there are still good people out there... it looks like i won't be getting the boat after all. i drove down to pick it yesterday and unfortunatley missed the seller's email. turns out he had not ran the boat since the spring time. he proceeded to start it yesterday morning and the boat was running rough. after some investigations , there was no compression in one cylinder and a stuck valve. he was honest enough to tell me so i didnt get stuck with a problem. i already had made the drive , but lucked out . i bought some glass for my shower and the place happened to be across the street.

otherwise the boat was in pretty good shape for its age. i told him once he gets it fixed to call me and i may still be interested. im not much of mechanic so i am not prepared for this type of project.

So in other words, it was just another Rodltg type song and dance. IMO- You really don't have to put on the charades to stay a member of TMC.

BTW- Your LOCATION baffles my mind. As if you were trying to stir up trouble. Doesn't surprise me.
Good luck with the MC project boat search. If you want less of a "project" so to speak, pick up Beau's.

jimmason
10-26-2007, 02:14 PM

yes, as the owner i was deeply embarassed by this. i had gone through all things and tunings in the spring when i started to want to sell it, and represented it as i had it running when done with this. various auctions and other distractions happened over the summer, but i was sure all was still as left after the tune a few months before.

i found the problem early in the morn rod was to come over. i set out to reconfirm the tune and make sure i had a hot battery to start it for rod. but i ended up finding the very annoying problem of a stuck exhaust valve on number 6.

i'm now going to remove both heads for a professional rebuild. not a garage hack. i know the bottom end is fine given the under 500 hours on the full engine rebuild. compression still tests accordingly.

i hope to have the heads off, rebuilt, and back on within a week. and all will be fixed and even more assured condition than before.

i have lived a lot of life in this boat, have pained over whether to sell it, so want and to make sure it finds a new happy owner when i do sell it in the end.

jim

G-man
10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Jim your honesty will pay off in the end.

Datdude
10-26-2007, 04:30 PM
yes, as the owner i was deeply embarassed by this. i had gone through all things and tunings in the spring when i started to want to sell it, and represented it as i had it running when done with this. various auctions and other distractions happened over the summer, but i was sure all was still as left after the tune a few months before.

i found the problem early in the morn rod was to come over. i set out to reconfirm the tune and make sure i had a hot battery to start it for rod. but i ended up finding the very annoying problem of a stuck exhaust valve on number 6.

i'm now going to remove both heads for a professional rebuild. not a garage hack. i know the bottom end is fine given the under 500 hours on the full engine rebuild. compression still tests accordingly.

i hope to have the heads off, rebuilt, and back on within a week. and all will be fixed and even more assured condition than before.

i have lived a lot of life in this boat, have pained over whether to sell it, so want and to make sure it finds a new happy owner when i do sell it in the end.

jim

At least you were honest about it. There is something to be said for that! Good luck with the rebuild and sale:cool: