PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Pumps

als2104
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Pela 2.5 liter pump from Overtons?
http://overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Pela_Oil_Extractor_2_5_liter&cname=Oil-Changers-/-Filters&r=view&i=71226&aID=24A

Any suggestions?

bigmac
10-17-2007, 12:39 PM
I have it. It works fine. I'm sure the other 30 or 40 similar such devices work fine too. I like the suction devices since they don't rely on electricity. The Pela has the advantage of being able to just negative-pressurize the container and walk away, as opposed to having to sit there and manually keep pumping.

I have the larger version, so I can get all of my engine oil and all of my transmission oil in one shot each, without having to interrupt the process to empty the container.l

east tx skier
10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I think we have the Tempo. Basically the same thing and I doubt that it does the job any better than a similar pump. Like BigMac said, there's a lot to be said for being able to give it a few pumps and let it do its thing.

phecksel
10-17-2007, 10:24 PM
I have it and love it

rektek
10-17-2007, 10:48 PM
with cold engine oil allow for a very long time to suck 5 qts through the dipstick tube

bigmac
10-18-2007, 12:50 AM
with cold engine oil allow for a very long time to suck 5 qts through the dipstick tube

True, but using the dipstick tube is a bad idea anyway- couple of posts here and on other inboard forums about the suction tube getting stuck.

Much better to hook the suction pump up to the oil pan drainage hose, instead of letting the oil dribble out by gravity through the through-hull to a pan.

kvalve
10-18-2007, 01:13 AM
my next oil change will be the hose off the pan into a 5ga bucket and let it sit for a few days

Jesus_Freak
10-18-2007, 06:37 AM
I have the larger version, so I can get all of my engine oil and all of my transmission oil in one shot each, without having to interrupt the process to empty the container.l

I have the larger version and also connect directly to the drain hose, both of which were suggested by Bigmac before. Works perfectly. I even used the Pela to remove tranny fluid at the lake the day I got my boat out for good since the tranny was warm then (cant thoroughly warm it up in the driveway). My only problem is that at least one of the Pela vacuum seals are losing their hold after a year's use. Maybe I got a dud...

CHAR250R
10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
my next oil change will be the hose off the pan into a 5ga bucket and let it sit for a few days

As long as you're not in a hurry, this works very good. I do this at the end of the season, and let it drain for a week. :D

bigmac
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I have the larger version and also connect directly to the drain hose, both of which were suggested by Bigmac before. Works perfectly. I even used the Pela to remove tranny fluid at the lake the day I got my boat out for good since the tranny was warm then (cant thoroughly warm it up in the driveway). My only problem is that at least one of the Pela vacuum seals are losing their hold after a year's use. Maybe I got a dud...

Yeh, that's the nice thing about the drainage pumps....my boat sits in the lift all the time, so I can take it out, warm it up, change the oil, filter and transmission oil while warm without pulling the boat out and trying to warm it up in the driveway.

BrianM
10-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Is the oil pump really necessary for engine oil change? On a lift yes but a trailered boat? The three boats I have owned (85, 88 & 97 Prostars) have all gravity drained through the hose attached to the bottom of the pan easily. I usually do it right after skiing so I have nice warm oil. Pan is drained dry in about 10 minutes. Put the cap back on change the filter and fill her up. Total oil change time including draining is about 20 minutes.

bigmac
10-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Is the oil pump really necessary for engine oil change? On a lift yes but a trailered boat? The three boats I have owned (85, 88 & 97 Prostars) have all gravity drained through the hose attached to the bottom of the pan easily. I usually do it right after skiing so I have nice warm oil. Pan is drained dry in about 10 minutes. Put the cap back on change the filter and fill her up. Total oil change time including draining is about 20 minutes.

Nah. If you're doing a driveway change, certainly nothing wrong with gravity draining into a pan as MC recommends in their owner's manual. I prefer a pump because I always change the transmission oil at the same time, and I need/want both tranny and engine at operating temp. IMHO, easier to do that in the boat lift after a couple of runs up and down the lake. Running the engine to get it up to temp in the driveway is a big PITA for me, getting the transmission warm enough to drain easily is even harder.

JohnnyB
10-30-2007, 02:25 PM
I use the pump on my tranny. The engine gets drained with a drain hose from the bottom of the pan through the hull drain plug. Working with warm engine and tranny (after an outing) is the way to go.

I've had success using the fake-a-lake and warming it up in the driveway, too.

bigmac
10-30-2007, 02:37 PM
I use the pump on my tranny. The engine gets drained with a drain hose from the bottom of the pan through the hull drain plug. Working with warm engine and tranny (after an outing) is the way to go.

I've had success using the fake-a-lake and warming it up in the driveway, too.

Fake-a-lake won't work with many or most of the later model V-drives because the trailer bunks block the intake.

88inNH
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Suggest you stay away from the Seasense electric pump.
I bought one this past summer.
Worked great on boat #1 (Glastron Carleson).
But, died without sucking a drop of oil from the Mastercraft.

Fortunately, Overton's refunded my money without a hassle.

east tx skier
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Nah. If you're doing a driveway change, certainly nothing wrong with gravity draining into a pan as MC recommends in their owner's manual. I prefer a pump because I always change the transmission oil at the same time, and I need/want both tranny and engine at operating temp. IMHO, easier to do that in the boat lift after a couple of runs up and down the lake. Running the engine to get it up to temp in the driveway is a big PITA for me, getting the transmission warm enough to drain easily is even harder.

What I ultimately decided worked best for me was to warm the boat up, drop the hose and gravity drain the oil while I used the pump to drain the transmission fluid. Like Brian said, when warm, the gravity drain worked like a charm. Only had to warm it up once to change both fluids this way.

bigmac
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
What I ultimately decided worked best for me was to warm the boat up, drop the hose and gravity drain the oil while I used the pump to drain the transmission fluid. Like Brian said, when warm, the gravity drain worked like a charm. Only had to warm it up once to change both fluids this way.

For my part, that would require that I take the boat out of the lift, drive it down to the boat ramp, load it on the trailer, hook up the intake hose to the garden hose in the driveway, change the oil(s), then take the thing back to the lake.;)

I tried the gravity drain thing, running the drain hose through the rear drain. THAT was a PITA. It was hard getting the hose through the transom hole (stern keel plate), and it took forever to drain. In the meantime, the wind was blowing enough that it blew oil all over the driveway rather than into the drain pan. Never again...not when hooking up a pump to the drain hose is so easy.

east tx skier
10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
For my part, that would require that I take the boat out of the lift, drive it down to the boat ramp, load it on the trailer, hook up the intake hose to the garden hose, change the oil(s), then take the thing back to the lake.

What, you don't just drain the oil into the lake. ;)

I understand a boat on a lift is a different story when it comes to winterizing. If mine was on a lift, I'd just do it one at a time with the pump as warming it up isn't a big deal.

wats218
11-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Connecting a drain hose to the bottom of the oil pan sounds messy. How is this done?

mayo93prostar
11-27-2007, 01:51 PM
one end of the drain hose is already connected to the oil pan and the other end is usually tied up to something on the engine to keep it from laying in the bilge. this end has a brass cap on it that is removed and the suction pump hose attached to it. some engines have the hose installed and some do not.

bigmac
11-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Connecting a drain hose to the bottom of the oil pan sounds messy. How is this done?

It's only a one-time connection. All of the later-model boats come with these things already attached by Indmar.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK024056A

http://www.skidim.com/images/rk024056a.jpg

wats218
11-27-2007, 02:10 PM
one end of the drain hose is already connected to the oil pan and the other end is usually tied up to something on the engine to keep it from laying in the bilge. this end has a brass cap on it that is removed and the suction pump hose attached to it. some engines have the hose installed and some do not.

OK...that makes more sense. If I drain the oil through the dipstick tube once, can I then install the hose for the future? Would it be worth it to do this?

bigmac
11-27-2007, 02:14 PM
OK...that makes more sense. If I drain the oil through the dipstick tube once, can I then install the hose for the future? Would it be worth it to do this?

That drain hose connects to the oil pan drain-plug hole, which is the lowest point and it certainly likely to drain more thoroughly (and faster) than draining through the dipstick. Also, getting that drain tube stuck in the dipstick tube can be a traumatic (and expensive) experience.

If you can get to your oil pan drain plug, you can install a drain hose as above.

Jesus_Freak
10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Can someone please offer recommendation(s) for an electric vacuum pump? I have been using the Pela 6-Liter dealio, but would prefer electric. I have purchased this unit (http://www.jcwhitney.com/12-VOLT_OIL_CHANGE_PUMP?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductNam e;0;0;0;N;2009567;0;0), but it is total garbage! It was not worth even the shipping cost. I know there have been various posts and pictures about electric and manual pumps, but I cannot seem to find the electric ones this morning. This existing thread seems like a good place to consolidate....