PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank- Full or Empty

causewayskiier
10-17-2007, 11:43 AM
When Winterizing the boat, is it better to store the boat with an empty gas tank or full one with gas stabilizer?

ski_king
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn:
I have done both over the years. I use Stabil either way.

Last year I filled it up for no other reason than the price of gas was low when I put it away and then used it over the winter in the snowmobiles.

This year I am debating on either 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.

TRBenj
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I try to leave mine 3/4 full. That way I minimize the amount of condensation that will build up, while still leaving room for expansion. You should use stabilizer regardless, and try to run your boat a little after adding it- that way it can work its way to the motor.

KnoxX2
10-17-2007, 11:51 AM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

This year I am debating on either 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.

Funny Thats funny 8p :rolleyes:

woodskier
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
I have heard arguments both ways, the problem with storing empty is , can you really get all the gas out of the tank, and do it safely. Here is what Boat US reccomends:
"Top off the fuel tank(s) and use additives to inhibit fuel's degeneration. There is a twofold advantage to topping off tanks: With gasoline, it is safer because fumes are minimized, and you will also minimize the possibility of condensation corroding the tank. When you're filling the tanks, leave some room for the gas to expand. "

Hope this helps

TMCNo1
10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
It was discussed here the other week, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19359&highlight=empty

Prostar Rich
10-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Not another one of these threads.

Prostar Rich

TMCNo1
10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Not another one of these threads.

Prostar Rich

Is a 1/2 tank, half full or half empty?

Monte
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Is a 1/2 tank, half full or half empty?

It's a half a tank:rolleyes:

Muttley
10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I suppose if it's in a heated garage, as long as you Stabil what's left it probably doesn't matter. Personally, since my boat is outside in a carport, and it rains 11 months out of the year here, I'm going to fill mine to keep the condensation from getting water in the gas.

TMCNo1
10-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I suppose if it's in a heated garage, as long as you Stabil what's left it probably doesn't matter. Personally, since my boat is outside in a carport, and it rains 11 months out of the year here, I'm going to fill mine to keep the condensation from getting water in the gas.

If you don't have a drastic temp. swing over the layup period, like sitting outside, it's not as big a problem, but in your case, good choice!

Andyg
10-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Be careful if you are topping off the new 2008 PS197 with the new fuel fill system before winterizing. I topped my tank off the last time I used the boat back in Sept when it was about 70 degrees. The temp got into the high 80s in the beginning of October. When I walked out into the garage gas was pouring out my vent onto the side of the boat, trailer and ground. Once I released the pressure by opening the fuel cap it stopped.

My guess is that the vent line was blocked by gas when it expanded in the tank. Then the gas kept expanding with nowhere to vent and it poured right out the vent.

JohnnyB
10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Full.....I put stabil in and then find a station with non-ethanol gas and fill it up. My boat typically sits 3.5 to 4mos.

A couple of years ago, I completely drained my 92 ProStar.....it was a PITA the following year to get it started....I'm guessing it labored the fuel pump a bit.

Mark B
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Heck, down where you live, your down time is what...2 months? just keep running it.

Slinkyredfoot
10-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Full on Friday night ...empty Saturday night...full Sunday morning..empty Sunday afternoon, in lay up for the winter...whatever is left in the tank...Stabil is good stuff

ram
01-21-2008, 04:00 PM
PhaseSeparation.org has some information on how to deal with storage and E10 fuel.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-21-2008, 11:39 PM
When I store, (if it's convenient) I like tanks NEAR full with either Seafoam or Marvel's Mystery Oil or (last choice) Stabil in with the fuel.
Why, because this system has yet to fail me. I could also note, I have had MUCH worse luck using a tank of premium fuel from a local fuel stop than I have ever had with 6 month old fuel in anything after storage. Bad gas makes for a very bad day....

FWIW- Around here, I have no idea where I could even get fuel with less than 10% Ethanol.

mitch
01-22-2008, 12:01 AM
I leave everything full w/ stabile for lay up, boats, quads, sleds, mowers etc. seems to work, but like most things in life, it's debatable;)

learjet2230
01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Ok here is my opinion. STABIL is terrible! In the aircraft industry, after we are done flying it is customary to top the tanks off. This reduces the amount of air in the tank, which reduces the moisture content that could settle in the fuel. The tanks are usually metal, so water can start to corrode the tank.
Now for boats. The tanks are usually plastic of some variety and wont corrode. I recently overhauled a carb that sat for a while with Stabil in the gas. OMG!!! I ended up buying a new carb. If it where my boat I would run the boat as close to empty as possible. Mix some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas and run it again to get it up to the carb if a carb model, then fog the cylinders. For you fuel injection guys, just run some MM oil through it and fog it. Fogging oil is not put in the spark plug holes either. Squirt it in the intake with the engine running until it dies. This way FRESH gas goes in the boat day one. It may smoke and stumble for a few minutes after the initial start. With Stabil you have an entire gas tank full of that crap fuel that you have to burn. Just my .02

JLeuck64
02-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I've always put some brand of fuel stabilizer in the tank at the end of the season. What's funny to me is I always end up siphoning the boat's tank during the winter for some fuel for the daily drivers! Makes me feel like a little kid again. FREE GAS!!! :)

'82starsandstripes
02-13-2008, 03:46 PM
What is the best kind of stabilizer to use.

jraben8
02-13-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know if it's the best or not but either Seafoam or MM is what I use.

learjet2230
02-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I would just drain the tank. If you can get som Avgas, that stuff sits real well for long periods because it uses no alcohol or ethanol!

chudson
02-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Fill'er up and winterize and in the spring new fuel filter, shoot a little gas down in the carb and start it up. Never had a problem!!!