PDA

View Full Version : 89 prostar bilge pump

teeter
10-17-2007, 12:14 AM
I was out on the lake this weekend when the wind was up and ended up getting worse, 3-4 foot swells on the trip back to the ramp and needless to say my bilge pump went out and water was spraying in to the back of the boat as if someone was just holding a firehose into the boat and just laughing at me the whole time. We got back to the dock and almost the entire bilge was full of water, so much that i kept the motor running because i was scared it might not start back up. I didn't take a look at it yet but as far as the bilge pump is it common for these to get clogged, or fail. Does anyone know what pump is down there or where to find a replacement? I saw a post somewhere on here about replacement cartridges is that the way to go? Thanks for any help or advice.

Jayc
10-17-2007, 06:11 AM
I think most have a rule 500 pump. It is possible the pump has failed but a more likely problem is with the wiring.

Get a multimeter and check your actually getting 12V down at the pump before you purchase a new one.

cwright
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I had to replace the original out of my 88PS190. I can't remeber the brand name now, but I ended up replacing it with a Rule 800. I did jumper mine direct to the battery before replacing to make sure it was the pump itself. Watch out for screw length if your new pump comes with a different base or base thickness.

The cartridge repalcements are cool if you have the cartridge style pump. I don't think the 89's did.

After installing mine it didn't work either. Investigation revealed I had pulled a wire out of a harness duing the install that ran the auto on float switch. Reconnected and every thing was fine. I believe the problem comes from never using these pumps, and when they do run the bilge water has grundge and grime from who knows when that plugs up every rotating part and increases the rotattional resistance until it overloads and fries the little motor on them. I suppose a guy could intentionally put clean water in a bilge to cycle the pump every so often, or keep a bilge like TMC 1, which you can eat off of. I was kind of surprised how expensive the Rules are, but I didn't want to go too cheap on something like a bilge pump. Even though you may never need it, if you do need one, they are suddenly worth their weight in gold.

Good luck.

cwright
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
oops, double post

teeter
10-20-2007, 09:59 PM
well i took a look at the pump today and it was a mayfair 600 gpm pump. I took the pump out of the bottom of the boat, fipped the switch and it started running, put it back in the boat flipped the switch, nothing. For what ever reason, when the pump is upside down the impeller will spin, but right side up nothing happens, and one have any ideas, figured i just get a new pump.

Chas
10-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I guess my history with offshore boats has taught me never to mess with a bilge pump. If it fails once, I replace it.

I usually take mine out and run it in a bucket now and then. I am thinking about putting in a second pump at the rear of the boat - easy access, and that's were the water is when under way.