PDA

View Full Version : Yes to Michigan?

Granite_33
10-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey all you Michiganders.

I am considering a job offer that would take me to Michigan. Company is west of Ann Arbor by about 30 miles in the Jackson area.

Wife and I are considering Ann Arbor or Chelsea area. However I really need to consider schools too.

Wife likes something a little more city like, but would also consider acreage if its in the right location.

Any suggestions or ideas that those of you who live in the area can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Give me all you got. Schools, Taxes, Insurance (no fault, right?) I want to know what I might be in for.

Thanks, Mike

ProTour X9
10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Economy isn't doing well, thats all I have to say. :(

6ballsisall
10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
You ought to be able to buy real estate for very cheap.........

phecksel
10-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I'm just east of AA in Belleville.

Chelsea is a very nice area, Monroe is a bit of a drive, but also very nice, Dexter is a nice option. Ann Arbor proper is a bit too college townish for me. Don't know what price range you're looking for, but there's some nice stuff on Belleville Lake, but would avoid the city proper and look in VanBuren Township. Besides, I need some help with the lack of MasterCrafts, LOL

Of all the places to move, you picked one of the best values anywhere in the world, including tent town in Seoul Korea :( There are some unbelievable values in this area, something I've never seen.

MIMC
10-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Mike -

I was born/raised 21 years in Chicago, moved to MI in 1991 - never looked back! MI has everything to offer just wish the summers were a little longer. The economy is real tough in MI right now, in particular SE MI. If your new job is with a large company and not related to the auto industry then you will probably be fine. You WILL find an awesome deal on real estate especially in a suburbia type area, not sure if the deals are as good or as abundant in the outer lying areas. Ann Arbor is a very nice area, downtown Ann Arbor revolves around U of M so it is a college type of town. I would consider Chelsea as an acreage type of area, very nice, but a little distant in regards to city life. School district in Ann Arbor is great, not sure about Chelsea. Taxes just like every where continue to rise, currently 6% sales tax. Insuramnce is typical mid-west, I pay roughly $1300 per year to insure our 04' mini-van and 98' Chevy truck - both with $500 deducts and average coverage. As you look and have more specific areas in mind PM me and I will get you some info. I'm 45 minutes north of Ann Arbor, several lake front homes for sale on our lake. Commerce Lake is all-sports, no time restrictions, ski course on the north end, nice sandbars, etc.

Hope this helps!

shepherd
10-17-2007, 08:32 AM
You almost have ME wanting to move up there! ;)

Maristar210
10-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Great place to live.

People giving houses away for 2/3's of what they paid for them. I know a house in West Michigan that sold for $485,000 five years ago was recently sold for $310,000. I know of another home that was listed over two years ago at $499,000 down the street from me and today it is still for sale at $319,000.... you can buy a small two bedroom condo in a great school system for less than 100k for gosh sakes...

My only advice would be be certain of the position because you will not find it easy selling a home in this state if the position does not work out.

As far as places to ski? They're everywhere and the change of seasons is why I stay. I love winter too...

Good luck Granite33. Keep us posted....

BrianM
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Taxes just like every where continue to rise, currently 6% sales tax. Insuramnce is typical mid-west, I pay roughly $1300 per year to insure our 04' mini-van and 98' Chevy truck - both with $500 deducts and average !

Man I wish! Sales tax around here is 8.75-9.25% and for my Avalanche and my wifes Subaru (no accidents or tickets) we pay about $3300 a year for car insurance.

What are the property and state taxes like up there?

Ric
10-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Jeff Daniels says you should go there. He tells me every day on my TV and radio.

Maristar210
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Man I wish! Sales tax around here is 8.75-9.25% and for my Avalanche and my wifes Subaru (no accidents or tickets) we pay about $3300 a year for car insurance.

What are the property and state taxes like up there?

Sales Tax is 6%
Income tax is 4.35%
$300,000 house is $3000 per year in property taxes in the fifth best school district in the state.

Great values up here because of the sheer numbers of forclosures. It's a buyers market like I have never seen in my 41 years, 15 of which I have been paying attention. :o

Maristar210
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Jeff Daniels says you should go there. He tells me every day on my TV and radio.

I talked to Jeff Daniels and we both agree you need to stay in the 'Ston

Ric
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I talked to Jeff Daniels and we both agree you need to stay in the 'Ston Thank you, I will. You and Jeff Daniels are bringin' pastie back baby!

BrianM
10-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Sales Tax is 6%
Income tax is 4.35%
$300,000 house is $3000 per year in property taxes in the fifth best school district in the state.

Great values up here because of the sheer numbers of forclosures. It's a buyers market like I have never seen in my 41 years, 15 of which I have been paying attention. :o

Our property taxes are slightly lower but state income tax is 6%.

I guess we have to pay for the weather :rolleyes:

Ric
10-17-2007, 11:01 AM
I think our residential property taxes combined settle in at just over 3% of value when you claim a "homestead" exemption (for the home in which you are living). It's a bit higher for rental property you own or vacation property you own.
NO state income tax here.

Granite_33
10-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Wow, thanks for all the comments about the area. I am about 90% sure this deal will happen.

Sounds like the Sales tax is about equal 7% in OH (including local sales taxation) My state income tax is graduated, but I think that last year it was about 6%+. Additionally, I get another 2.25% taken off the top for the pleasure of living in Kettering, OH

Property tax for me right now is about $4K for my house, which is strictly an average house in a nice area. Sounds like property taxes could be less, but I won't look to

MIMC: I look forward to having the Michigan outdoors available. I am an avid outdoor person, and SW OH does not have an abundance of outdoor activities, other than hiking nature trails. Especially boating, where the lakes are limited in size and abundance.

Considerations right now. Our boat is in Coldwater, MI, since that is where we spend the weekends in the summer I am considering one of two things.
#1 Buy a house on an all sports, no restrictions lake, move the boat there.
#2 Buy acreage. Continue to go to the lake house in Coldwater and it would be about 1 - 1.5 hrs away. (better than the 3.5Hrs it takes now)

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming!

rrbooker
10-17-2007, 12:07 PM
You'll have a great MC dealer!!!!!

http://www.actionwater.com/

Maristar210
10-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh - I forgot the most important thing:

No dry counties like in the HO

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I wouldnt move here if I were you. I mean Ann Arbor is WAY to close to Maristar210. you dont wanna live near him!!! :D 8p Economy sucks here, but the cost of realestate is not bad, as long as your not on the water. Funny thing is, the realators up in da UP are all on crack or something. They all think every hunk of property has a oil drill underneath it they way they price it. ITS THE UP!!! land is NOT worth that kinda money here! of course pricing and selling are two different things. :rolleyes:

ProTour X9
10-17-2007, 03:23 PM

http://www.actionwater.com/ (http://www.actionwater.com/)

Thanks for the link I didn't even see their new store yet!

Oh yeah in MI you can snowmobile, quad, ski, and rake leaves while watching road construction all in the same year!

I heard somewhere that wherever you are in Michigan, there is a body of water no farther that 6 miles away. Save that one for a rainy day donchano (which brings up another point). WATCH OUT FOR YOOPERS!!!:eek3:

fintek9
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Would'nt live in any other state, Well ...if I were close to Sodar on his waters you got me there. :D I hear our sales taxes might be taking a little hike higher!!! But what can you do! We have it all. Sorry all.. Just love this state......

Ric
10-17-2007, 06:42 PM
maybe the state can tax itself into prosperity

suedv
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
What they all said. Great prices on homes here in Michigan. It's a pretty state too with all the water and beaches. I like living here.

phecksel
10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Be careful when looking at property taxes. Because of the way the quirky law works, you could be buying a house where the current owner is paying $1,000 in taxes and suddenly find a tax bill of $4,000.

TX.X-30 fan
10-17-2007, 09:33 PM
maybe the state can tax itself into prosperity

Just once Ric can you try to add something useful to a thread.:confused: :confused:

:D

Vern Swieringa
10-17-2007, 10:13 PM
I live in Michigan and I don't pay any property taxes. It's a greeeeeaaat state!!! :)

phecksel
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I live in Michigan and I don't pay any property taxes. It's a greeeeeaaat state!!! :)
But those boxes under the roadway are not well insulated. How pray tell do you avoid property taxes?

Ric
10-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Just once Ric can you try to add something useful to a thread.:confused: :confused:

:D I'd like you all to take a moment and think about what I said there in all it's absurdity and then think about what the state of MI is doing as it raises taxes and fees on a bad local economy............................ :cool:

TX.X-30 fan
10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I'd like you all to take a moment and think about what I said there in all it's absurdity and then think about what the state of MI is doing as it raises taxes and fees on a bad local economy............................ :cool:

As usual you make perfect sense,I bow to your uncanny wisdom!

I am not worthy. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Vern Swieringa
10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
But those boxes under the roadway are not well insulated. How pray tell do you avoid property taxes?

You go through 4 years of seminary get called to a church and live in the parsonage.:rolleyes:

Granite_33
10-18-2007, 02:38 PM

http://www.actionwater.com/

We bought our boat from the Action in Hudsonville. Great group of people!

Granite_33
10-18-2007, 03:15 PM
I'd like you all to take a moment and think about what I said there in all it's absurdity and then think about what the state of MI is doing as it raises taxes and fees on a bad local economy............................ :cool:

As the population of the state remained essentially static since 2000. Gotta pay for the gov't largess somehow.

I always like the saying: Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. (Twain)

Ric
10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
As usual you make perfect sense,I bow to your uncanny wisdom!

I am not worthy. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: Someone get me a tissue