PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geeks, need your advice on this issue.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-16-2007, 10:15 AM
So Miss UMP gets an updated company laptop from her employer about 2-3 weeks ago(large company with its own IT dept) and as a coincidence, we get wireless internet router at home so she can do her work at the breakfast table, couch, etc... so she uses an outlook web based email program that her work has setup for her. now she has never had any issues using this computer all over the country with her job using various wired and wireless networks in hotels, business, etc..

but she cannot reply to emails at home since we installed the wireless router at home. We tried logging on to my computer at work here and her email works fine. she tried her email on MY laptop at home and it worked fine, no problems. she called her companies IT dept, our ISP, and the router's tech support and all of them say its not their products causing the problem and the point their finger at someone else. my thougth was its the wireless router causing this issue, since thats the only thing thats changed. so whats up with this?? is there a setting on the router that needs to be tweaked or changed? or is it something else?? I am clueless at this point..... :confused: :confused:

any input or advice would be appreciated! thanks! :wavey:

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
First try disabling the wireless on the laptop and connect with an ehternet cord. If it still does not work I am going to say it is the laptop. Have her try the webmail at work and see if it works there. I am assuming that she uses outlook while in the office. Another option if available is for her company to setup their VPN on her laptop and then she can just use outlook from home.

east tx skier
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Unless her company has some weird security feature set up in outlook, I can't imagine how everything else would work fine other than her company emails. The router isn't much more than a switchbox with security for the wireless component. If she's on the internet, it seems like we can rule out a security conflict with the wireless modem on the laptop.

Maristar210
10-16-2007, 10:39 AM
So Miss UMP gets an updated company laptop from her employer about 2-3 weeks ago(large company with its own IT dept) and as a coincidence, we get wireless internet router at home so she can do her work at the breakfast table, couch, etc... so she uses an outlook web based email program that her work has setup for her. now she has never had any issues using this computer all over the country with her job using various wired and wireless networks in hotels, business, etc..

but she cannot reply to emails at home since we installed the wireless router at home. We tried logging on to my computer at work here and her email works fine. she tried her email on MY laptop at home and it worked fine, no problems. she called her companies IT dept, our ISP, and the router's tech support and all of them say its not their products causing the problem and the point their finger at someone else. my thougth was its the wireless router causing this issue, since thats the only thing thats changed. so whats up with this?? is there a setting on the router that needs to be tweaked or changed? or is it something else?? I am clueless at this point..... :confused: :confused:

any input or advice would be appreciated! thanks! :wavey:

Outlook firewall? Look for it.....

jss101
10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
It sounds like it's the windows firewall setup on her laptop. If your laptop works through the same wireless connection it's not the wireless router. (Unless your laptop is using a wired connection?) I would go on her laptop and temporarily disable the windows firewall protection just for a minute to see if it makes a difference. I wouldn't recommend leaving it this way, but it would solve the myster.

beef
10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Who's your internet provider at home? I have Comcast and recently started getting "Server timeout" messages when sending emails. Seems that a lot of isp's are blocking the standard Outlook port of 25, and requires it to be reconfigured to use port 587. Supposedly this will block any spyware programs on your home network from spamming. Once changed all is ok.

I had to find this out the hard way by searching the web. Lots of info on it.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=port+blocked+25+587

Hope this helps.

chevy08bud
10-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Is the laptop running Windows XP or Vista? If she is running Vista, she will not be able to use Outlook Web Access unless her company has deployed a specific patch that will allow a Vista PC to connect to OWA. In order to deploy this patch they will have to be running Exchange Server 2003 with SP2.

bigmac
10-16-2007, 11:04 AM
If the laptop works OK elsewhere, it's likely that there's port blocking going on, either through the router, or by your ISP. Outlook web access is designed to work on either Port 443 or Port 80. If those ports aren't available on your router, you may need to port-forward. Otherwise, you need to make sure that both of those ports are available and open.

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 11:12 AM
If port 80 was being blocked she wouldn't be able to access the internet at all.

First things first... Can she get on the internet at all with her laptop on your home wireless connection? Just open IE or Mozilla and browse internet sites. Does that work?

You also mentioned that she can access her email on your laptop from your house. Is that connected wireless or wired?

Did you do any setup on your wireless router or did you take it out of the box and plug it in and it worked?

TMCNo1
10-16-2007, 11:19 AM
:twocents: Shoot the laptop with a 9mm and stick to text messaging while driving.

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
If the email is secure then it would be port 8080, but if she is able to connect it has nothing to do with the port.

Ric
10-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Ric's head just exploded

bigmac
10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
If port 80 was being blocked she wouldn't be able to access the internet at all.

First things first... Can she get on the internet at all with her laptop on your home wireless connection? Just open IE or Mozilla and browse internet sites. Does that work?

You also mentioned that she can access her email on your laptop from your house. Is that connected wireless or wired?

Did you do any setup on your wireless router or did you take it out of the box and plug it in and it worked?
Agreed...it would be an extremely unusual router whose default port setting didn't include port 80. I don't know about port 443, which IIUC is the SSL port for HTTPS as most Exchange servers are configured.

10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
OK, I should have included this stuff. :o sorry.

She has tried hooking up wired with an ethernet cable, no dice.

She has tried disabling the firewall, no dice.

She has NO problem using the web based email from my office at work. (she has no office as she is an area director, her laptop IS her office)

Its windows XP on a dell laptop. SOme microsoft web based outlook program.

NOT comcast. its a local ISP. no big name. We use it at work too, no problems.

SHe has NO problem using the web based email from MY PC via wireless.

Now, she DOES have a problem using the web email with my OLD PC via ethernet cable through that router. thats why I think its the router.

I cant figure this out. I thought it might be the firewall too. but it still does it. now originally she couldnt reply to emails, just send NEW emails, but now its not letting her send new emails either. its wierd. She is on the road today, so I will let you know when she gets to her destination if it works there.

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Can she surf the internet from her laptop on your home network?

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
What version of IE is she running?

manny34711
10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
if she uses outlook express make sure her outgoing mail server is correct. you can check it by going into Tools > Accounts > Select the e-mail account > properties > Servers tab, then look at outgoing server. make sure its the same as yours.

bigmac
10-16-2007, 12:21 PM
if she uses outlook express make sure her outgoing mail server is correct. you can check it by going into Tools > Accounts > Select the e-mail account > properties > Servers tab, then look at outgoing server. make sure its the same as yours.She's using Outlook Web Access, though the Microsoft Exchange Server at work. It's web-based, has nothing to do with email, or with Outlook Express.

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 12:22 PM
UMP-

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON THE LAPTOP

If it works everywhere else but at your house, it is NOT the laptop.

Now that we have that cleared up... :rolleyes:

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
She's using Outlook Web Access, though the Microsoft Exchange Server at work. It's web-based, has nothing to do with email, or with Outlook Express.

Exactly...

Better listen to him Flounder, he was pre-med at one point in his life!

bigmac
10-16-2007, 12:28 PM
UMP-

I wonder if other computers on UMP's router are able to access other SSL-based web sites....

What kind of wireless router is it UMP?

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 12:31 PM
UMP-

It sounds to me that she is using different computers in different locations not one computer in multiple locations.

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
It sounds to me that she is using different computers in different locations not one computer in multiple locations.

See I read it that it was her computer on various networks. Her laptop OWA access works everywhere except on UMP's home network.

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 12:39 PM
See I read it that it was her computer on various networks. Her laptop OWA access works everywhere except on UMP's home network.

If thats the case its the home router.

UMP we need more details.

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
This is surely a strange problem UMP, but not surprising coming from you. :D

I wonder if other computers on UMP's router are able to access other SSL-based web sites....

I believe accessing her OWA from his laptop works from their house. :confused:

UMP- When you said that she disabled the firewall, did she go in and turn off the service or just disable it form the connection settings?

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
If thats the case its the home router.

UMP we need more details.

The thing is, UMP's laptop (not her work laptop) works. :confused: I think UMP is toying with us. :D

Doug G
10-16-2007, 12:50 PM
UMP has given enough information. Listen and read before shooting from the hip and screwing up a laptop. Techy guys always want to fire off what fixed it last time they ran into it instead of looking at what is wrong. Sorry Rant off.

In summary, the thing works ok except at home. Therefore Sesame Street troubleshooting (which one of these is not like the other) points to the home network. There are several basics to verify in the home network setup that will likely answer the question or provide a clear direction. Ump shoot me a PM when you are on line and I will give you some stuff to look at.

Doug

10-16-2007, 12:55 PM

Its a Buffalo Nfiniti router. she is able to access and send emails via her outlook webaccess on MY laptop on that same router. but it DONT work on my old PC on the same router. so that is what leads me to believe its the router......

and she can access it on our system here at my work with no problems as well.

10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
The thing is, UMP's laptop (not her work laptop) works. :confused: I think UMP is toying with us. :D
Dude, I am not toying with yous guys. I woulndt do that. When I am serious I make a serious inquiry because I value all of your input here and wouldnt send you guys on a wild goose chase wasting your time for nothing.

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Its a Buffalo Nfiniti router. she is able to access and send emails via her outlook webaccess on MY laptop on that same router. but it DONT work on my old PC on the same router. so that is what leads me to believe its the router......

UMP is she using your work computer or her laptop on the network there?

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 12:58 PM

Let her use your laptop then! Problem solved! :D

Maristar210
10-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Is she like you and can only type with one hand because the other hand is busy?

sorry I had too:D

10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
UMP is she using your work computer or her laptop on the network there?
She is using her laptop on our home network with NO results sending email.

She can use MY laptop on our home network fine with no issues.

and she can use her email at my workplace on OUR work PC fine.

10-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Is she like you and can only type with one hand because the other hand is busy?

sorry I had too:D

Wrong forum Steve. ;) :D save that for the darkside.

10-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Let her use your laptop then! Problem solved! :D
ok smarty pants. remember where we are here....... I cant retaliate8p ;)

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
She is using her laptop on our home network with NO results sending email.

She can use MY laptop on our home network fine with no issues.

and she can use her email at my workplace on OUR work PC fine.

Based on that I am going to say that it is something that is on her work pc. She is only able to send email from other computers.

If she is able to send email on her work pc while connected to a different network it is then not the pc. Try and get her to do this and we should then know where the problem exists.

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Based on that I am going to say that it is something that is on her work pc. She is only able to send email from other computers.

If she is able to send email on her work pc while connected to a different network it is then not the pc. Try and get her to do this and we should then know where the problem exists.

From UMP's initial post:

...she has never had any issues using this computer all over the country with her job using various wired and wireless networks in hotels, business, etc..

Are these correct UMP?
1. She CANNOT access her webmail from your house.
2. She CAN access her webmail from virtually anywhere else, wired or wireless.
3. She CAN access her webmail from your new laptop from your house.
4 She CANNOT access her webmail using your old laptop from your house.
5. She CAN access her webmail from your work on your work PC/network.

10-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Keep in mind, she can log onto other wireless networks when on the road such as hotels, etc... and it works fine there. why? I dont know.

10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
From UMP's initial post:

Are these correct UMP?
1. She CANNOT access her webmail from your house.
2. She CAN access her webmail from virtually anywhere else, wired or wireless.
3. She CAN access her webmail from your new laptop from your house.
4 She CANNOT access her webmail using your old laptop from your house.
5. She CAN access her webmail from your work on your work PC/network.

1. she CAN access the email fine, but cant send a REPLY. and now NEW emails are hit and miss too.

2. is correct.

3. is correct

4. is correct, but the old comptuer is not a laptop(not that it matters)

5. is correct.

and the issue is, she cannot REPLY to emails using that web email. she tries, and it just spellchecks it, and then it sits idle for a while and says "unknown error" or something like that she said. htis all started this weekend when we installed the new router.

I dont know.... wierd science.

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
UMP are there any firmware updates available for the router?

east tx skier
10-16-2007, 02:17 PM
UMP, what OS is she running (sorry if that's already been answered). I just assumed it was a Mac. ;)

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
UMP, what OS is she running (sorry if that's already been answered). I just assumed it was a Mac. ;)

XP..........

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Have her try this

1. In OWA, click on the "options" in the left Task Pane.

2. Under “E-mail Security” and Click Install or Upgrade the S/MIME Control. This will download a new add-on.

3. Click “RUN” when asked about the Microsoft Outlook Web Access S/MIME install and security warning.

4. Close and RESTART IE7

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 02:38 PM
she might want to try and get them to install this patch on the server as well
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=41275DEC-4C01-4C41-AA64-C9DBE5EA3F7E&displaylang=en

bcampbe7
10-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Have her try this

2. Under “E-mail Security” and Click Install or Upgrade the S/MIME Control. This will download a new add-on.

3. Click “RUN” when asked about the Microsoft Outlook Web Access S/MIME install and security warning.

4. Close and RESTART IE7

I see your point and this may fix the problem, but I still don't see why it works everywhere else except from the house. :confused:

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 02:44 PM
I see your point and this may fix the problem, but I still don't see why it works everywhere else except from the house. :confused:

What versions of IE are running on the other computer might have something to do with it. IE is always having problems.

Also try downloading firefox and then accessing the page with that browser.

10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
we are getting into geek territory here..... I am too dumb for this.....how do I find that out??:o :o

10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
What versions of IE are running on the other computer might have something to do with it. IE is always having problems.

Also try downloading firefox and then accessing the page with that browser.
well, keep in mind, this is a corporate computer and they dont want their employees loading software onto them. they frown on that. I dont know if they will allow the firefox thing or not.

Hey did you guys know this? There was a russian airplane named firefox. The government hired Clint Eastwood to steal it from them after he retired as a cop. He did, and they made a movie about it. iTs called Firefox. :D

10-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Have her try this

4. Close and RESTART IE7

Interesting.

I will also have her ask her companies IT dept if its OK for her to load firefox on it.

Thanks!

10-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Ooo! your good, your reall good! :uglyhamme

dmayer84
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Interesting.

I will also have her ask her companies IT dept if its OK for her to load firefox on it.

Thanks!

This is something that she can try while shes logged into webmail. Apparently this is an issue with IE7

10-18-2007, 02:42 PM
We just did that, no dice.

I am trying your update on OWA procedure you outlined now....

10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
NO dice on the OWA update......:(

any other ideas???? anyone, anyone......Bueller???:confused:

10-18-2007, 03:24 PM
NO dice on the firefox..... same thing happens.:(

10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
OK.she had her laptop checked out by the corporate office on Tuesday when she was at HQ. they found no probelms, and were able to send emails just fine. She had no problems anywhere else but home.

now she was just able to send the email on her laptop just fine by "borrowing" the neighbors wireless just down the street.

and it still wont work on our network.

this really leads me to believe that its some type of incompatiblity issue with the router as it changed when we installed the new router. AND my old computer wont reply to emails on her OWA either. Both run win XP and IE. Is there some compatibilty issue here??

We did update the firmware on the Buffalo router today. No dice. This is confusing.....

My new laptop still works like a champ. no issues.

any ideas??

bigmac
10-18-2007, 04:02 PM
What did you find out when you called or emailed Buffalo with this new information?

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/

I forget...did you make sure that the router was set to defaults? Maybe you're only solution is to buy a new wireless router that's the same model as your neighbor down the street.

east tx skier
10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Our Belkin has been trouble free if you're considering shopping brands. The only other brand I've had to mess with is LinkSys and I was not a fan.

dmayer84
10-18-2007, 04:38 PM
I personally reccomend the linksys routers, subsidary of Cisco. I have had problems with indivuadal routers in the past, a hard reset usually fixes them, but if that doesnt, try exchanging it for another one.

bigmac
10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I've used D-Link before, but mostly Linksys over the years. I must say, those Linksys wireless routers have been intermittently problematic for me.

By far, the best wireless router I've ever had in terms of reliability and range is Airport Extreme I've been using since I switched to Mac.

TMCNo1
10-18-2007, 06:46 PM
UMP, I was telling Lynn about your and Ms.UMP's problem and she said, " I think UMP is just possessed"! :D WooooooOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOO!

10-18-2007, 08:38 PM
harold I may be possessed, I havent been tested by a priest, but its possible. 8p

Now, I have had Linksys in the past and had trouble. Our local ISP recommended Buffalo and advised staying away from Linksys. I cant imagine why this happens! this is SO dang weird!

I can try to do the hard reset and see what that does.

TX.X-30 fan
10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Ump, new wireless router dude cough it up tight wad!! :D

10-18-2007, 09:59 PM
Ump, new wireless router dude cough it up tight wad!! :D
I just bought this one!!! its brand new!!!!!

milkmania
10-19-2007, 12:18 AM
harold I may be possessed, I havent been tested by a priest, but its possible. 8p

Now, I have had Linksys in the past and had trouble. Our local ISP recommended Buffalo and advised staying away from Linksys. I cant imagine why this happens! this is SO dang weird!

I can try to do the hard reset and see what that does.
my Linksys WRT54G is over 4 years old and has always been rock solid!:twocents:

Firmware Version : v4.70.8, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor14

http://hyperwrt.org/

don't even need the performance antennas, the factory installed ones do just fine

10-19-2007, 10:08 AM
my Linksys WRT54G is over 4 years old and has always been rock solid!:twocents:

Firmware Version : v4.70.8, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor14

http://hyperwrt.org/

don't even need the performance antennas, the factory installed ones do just fine

Yea I dont get it Milk. its like any other product.....mixed reviews.....

either way, mine is giving her trouble. but WHY does my laptop work fine with it????