PDA

View Full Version : I finally switched over!

slalomdude
10-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Well I Just swithced over to Diesel and I am starting my home work on chips. What I have is a 2006 1 ton F-350 6.0 PowerStroke I'm looking for something to get a little more out of the motor. However I want to do it with out taking the life out of it. I've gotta say that right now it has enough power but you know how it is more is all was better when it comes to trucks.

88 PS190
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
so lets get some propane and nitrous injection.

remap the chip, maybe get some extra pressure.

Depends how much you need out of it right>?

slalomdude
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
so lets get some propane and nitrous injection.

remap the chip, maybe get some extra pressure.

Depends how much you need out of it right>?

I don't want to get 50,000 out of the motor. I want to get at least 250,000. The guy that delivers the boats to the dealers for MC gets about a million on his supper duties.

G-man
10-16-2007, 08:59 PM
before chipping it find out the build date, there was a change made in October 06 that put larger stronger head bolts in. I got a new-rebuilt engine at 14800 miles, it wasn't put back together quite right so now I drive a duramax. Seems these days it's a crapshoot on weather or not you get a good one.

lanier92prostar
10-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a hypertech on my Duramax. If you are using it to tow a large weight, some of the chips are not what you want because you cannot use all of the modes for towing. Make sure you do your research about exhaust gas temps and torque specs on you transmission before you tow with a chip. My programmer has 3 stages and I cannot use the 3rd stage to tow my 5th wheel because of the EGT's unless I do some major work to the exhaust and add a couple of options. I gain 60 hp and 90 ftlbs of torque. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want a chip?

tommcat
10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Banks and Banks only. many of the others do more damage than good and some of them are just pieces of junk that WILL damage your engine/trans.
feel free to ask if you have any specific questions about them

djhuff
10-17-2007, 03:20 PM
My buddy has an '06 powerstroke with the Banks Six Shooter (he spent some coin) with boost and EGT guages. This thing hauls, and he continually gets challenged to drag races at the stoplights by guys in rice burners. Smokes 'em every time.

BTW, he's already budgeted for a rebuild at around 50K miles.

That truck needs a horn too, maybe an air compressor, tank and a train horn (his is at 153db at the horn).

tommcat
10-17-2007, 03:40 PM
BTW, he's already budgeted for a rebuild at around 50K miles.

Absolutely no need, other than the standard 6.0 issues the banks wont cause any problems. plus it's under warranty for 5/100 on the engine.

OhioProstar
10-17-2007, 04:31 PM
In terms of power my DMax is putting out 660ft lbs stock, but it would be nice to change some of the lower shift points as it shifts three times before hitting 40. I did hear that the 6.0 PS had some tailpipe temp issues in stock form where they would literally melt body panels of the cars next to them at lights, so you might want to take that pretty seriously.

tommcat
10-18-2007, 07:38 AM
In terms of power my DMax is putting out 660ft lbs stock, but it would be nice to change some of the lower shift points as it shifts three times before hitting 40. I did hear that the 6.0 PS had some tailpipe temp issues in stock form where they would literally melt body panels of the cars next to them at lights, so you might want to take that pretty seriously.that is the 6.4 and yes they can

Datdude
10-18-2007, 10:34 AM
That truck needs a horn too, maybe an air compressor, tank and a train horn (his is at 153db at the horn).

Diesel Power magazine just had an article about train horn installation. That would be AWESOME! I would be afraid that it would cause an accident though:D :cool:

Congrats on the diesel Slalomdude.......I don't think you will ever own a gas truck again. Diesel power is addicting. I am on my third diesel truck, and looking for my fourth. Anybody need a nice 2006 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4 with a Duramax LBZ?:D

dog paw
10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Diesel Power magazine just had an article about train horn installation. That would be AWESOME! I would be afraid that it would cause an accident though:D :cool:

As far as add on gadgets go I would like to find a pneumatic starter setup. Those things sound sweet on the big dogs:cool:

BigBarney
10-18-2007, 12:19 PM
www.thedieselstop.com
www.thedieselgarage.com

I have 'lived' on them the last 5 months since switching to a diesel. Have learned quite a bit about new products. I would give serious consideration to a programmer over a tuner. I like the idea of being able to adjust on the fly.

Understand that your warranty may be voided as a result of adding either a programmer or tuner.

bcampbe7
10-18-2007, 12:29 PM
www.thedieselstop.com
www.thedieselgarage.com

I have 'lived' on them the last 5 months since switching to a diesel. Have learned quite a bit about new products. I would give serious consideration to a programmer over a tuner. I like the idea of being able to adjust on the fly.

Understand that your warranty may be voided as a result of adding either a programmer or tuner.

Did you get rid of the SC H???

BigBarney
10-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Trying to sell it. Interested?

bcampbe7
10-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Trying to sell it. Interested?

Interested?? Yes, but I could never afford it and the wife would kill me! :D

BigBarney
10-18-2007, 12:39 PM
wife, smife. don't ley her bully you around. you're second best now that she has the baby boy anyways. tell her that you need your baby boy - Orange Crush!