PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Gauge Doesn't Work

shenner
10-15-2007, 10:05 PM
I bought a 1992 PROSTAR and the fuel gauge does not work. Does anyone know the best method of trouble shooting or history of problems?

Shenner

TMCNo1
10-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Go ahead and replace the sending unit with a new one from Discount Inboard Marine, item #0512, here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1088
Pull out the old one first to be sure which one it is.

east tx skier
10-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Probably the sending unit. You can shave the float or replace with a better unit for roughly $70 plus install.

lanier92prostar
10-15-2007, 11:12 PM
My fuel gauge on my 92 doesn't work either. I am replacing the sending unit this winter along with the steering cable.

rektek
10-16-2007, 12:53 AM
single wire fuel sender ? ground the wire at the sending unit, it should peg the gauge, don't leave it grounded too long just enough to sweep the needle, if gauge sweeps to full, replace the sender.

if gauge doesn't move you have power or gauge problems

AZDave
10-20-2007, 03:26 PM
As long as you are in there, I would examine/clean/repair fuel line screen in tank. You will need to move tank for access, but not remove. Look for any wear, clean screen ect.

shenner
10-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks to everyone, the boat is stored at the lake so I'll tackle it this coming spring.

Shenner

Jim@BAWS
10-21-2007, 10:05 PM
The last thing that you would probably want to do is call your
LOCAL MC dealer. They usually do not carry parts and have HORRIBLE
customer service. They probably can not get the part for you. Best if
you call your local Correct Craft Dealer. They probably can help your out alot better.

Other than that...good luck in your quest for finding that part. I know
my local dealer does not like to help find parts like this because your boat is WAY TO OLD.

Hope this helps...you probably don't want to develop a working relationship with your local dealer anyway!!!

Jim@BAWS

PS Please sense my sarcaism... CALL YOUR LOCAL DEALER !!!

PSS To trouble shoot your problem DO NOT TAKE THE LEAD OF THE SENDING UNIT TO GROUND IT OUT. YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE
FUEL GUAGE GO TO FULL BECAUSE THAT WAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TELL IF IT IS THE GUAGE OR THE SENDING UNIT ITSELF...again please sense my sarcaism.

Any other questions please send me a PM

rektek
10-23-2007, 03:46 PM
The last thing that you would probably want to do is call your
LOCAL MC dealer. They usually do not carry parts and have HORRIBLE
customer service. They probably can not get the part for you. Best if
you call your local Correct Craft Dealer. They probably can help your out alot better.

Other than that...good luck in your quest for finding that part. I know
my local dealer does not like to help find parts like this because your boat is WAY TO OLD.

Hope this helps...you probably don't want to develop a working relationship with your local dealer anyway!!!

Jim@BAWS

PS Please sense my sarcaism... CALL YOUR LOCAL DEALER !!!

PSS To trouble shoot your problem DO NOT TAKE THE LEAD OF THE SENDING UNIT TO GROUND IT OUT. YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE
FUEL GUAGE GO TO FULL BECAUSE THAT WAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TELL IF IT IS THE GUAGE OR THE SENDING UNIT ITSELF...again please sense my sarcaism.

Any other questions please send me a PM

from now on all my responses will be " take it to the dealer"

Jim@BAWS
10-24-2007, 06:07 PM
If your LOCAL dealer is a POS. Then call somewhere else. It frustrates me along with others that the FIRST response is someone else besides the dealer. They are not also the CHEAPIST. Heck I had a guy buy the parts and expect me to install...c'mon give me a break!!!

This is a MC website last time I checked

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
10-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Jim, not to discount anything you've said, (please don't take this the wrong way), but I'm laughing because when I had my fuel sender go on the 205 a few years ago, I purchased the part from a MC dealer and had my local CC dealer install it. I think, other than buying the part from a MC dealer, I broke the rest of your suggestions above. :o But to my credit, I did buy the part from a MC dealer. :) My dealer may have responded differently if they stocked the part I was having replaced, but usually their prices are pretty competitive to the point where they set up a skidim dealer account just to be sure (unique situation though as a lot of their parts were compatible with my 351 HO in the 93).

/as has been mentioned before that the MC dealership assigned to my area is 128 miles from my door.

Jesus_Freak
10-25-2007, 02:52 AM
Go ahead and replace the sending unit with a new one from Discount Inboard Marine, item #0512, here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1088
Pull out the old one first to be sure which one it is.

I purchased this item from my local MC dealer and found a big surprise with all of the baffling around the intake area on the tank. The leg would not lift due to the baffling. I had to go and get the newer style (12705 on your page link). It installed easily...a little cutting on wires. Now for calibration...that is the most sensitive device I have ever worked with. I hope those nano° changes I was making in the screw position will hold through all the bumping and banging up and down the lake.:confused:

Jesus_Freak
10-25-2007, 02:52 AM
sorry...double post....