PDA

View Full Version : mastercraft in Baltimore

mastercraftrider
10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know of any reputable mastercraft dealers in Baltimore? I'm looking to purchase a boat privately from there and was wondering where I could take it to have is looked at mechanically.

beef
10-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Bay Watersports is the closest dealership - they're near Annapolis. It's about a 30 minute drive from Baltimore. I've dealt with them in the past & they've recently changed ownership. A friend has been dealing with the new people and is very happy with them.

http://www.baywatersports.com/

Let me know when you'll be down - maybe we can drag you around!

jimmer2880
10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Wow.... how long ago did it change hands? I bought my MC from there 7 years ago (along with a used Goode from the owner). I'm not real pleased with the dealer, but there are worse out there.

Sounds like it has changed hands though, so anything is possible.

Jerseydave
10-15-2007, 08:33 PM
mastercraftrider,

I think your best bet would be to find a good surveyor (sp?) Some insurance companies require a survey anyway, plus it's a good bargaining tool in case something minor is wrong with the boat. What boat/year/model are you looking at?

beef
10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Wow.... how long ago did it change hands? I bought my MC from there 7 years ago (along with a used Goode from the owner). I'm not real pleased with the dealer, but there are worse out there.

Sounds like it has changed hands though, so anything is possible.

Changed over earlier this year. I was surprised to find out, too. Just got a letter from the new owners & they seem to want to bring up the level of service a bit. My friend is having a bunch of work done there and has been very happy about the level of attention received so far.

firstmc
10-16-2007, 09:28 AM
You can also try Chessie Marine up in Elkton. They are a CC and Bu' dealer but they usually have a good bit of MC boats from trades. I live in WhiteMarsh and Bay Watersports is 1 from me and Chessie is an hour from me. Hope this helps!

mastercraftrider
10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
njskier, looking at a '98 205. It has about 260 hours on it. The owner has only had it for a few months (he says he is trying to buy his first house and needs a down payment). It makes me a little worried that he hasn't owned if very long but says that he just doesn't get out as much as he wanted to.
I have an appointment with Bay watersports tomorrow so we will see what happens.
Any specific things I should look out for? this would be my first inboard.

krra1
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
A little history on Bay Watersports. The long time owner (Lou) sold the company back in April and moved to Florida so he could ski year round. The new owner had all sorts of problems getting started, it was not what he expected and his family did not like the area. He sold the business to the new (third) owners who sent out the letter. They closed on the deal earlier this month and he is pumped about getting the Master Craft end going. I met him at the Power Boat show this past weekend and he is intrested in having in water round ups as well as other MC events. He also said he will be on this board soon.
I bought my boat from Lou four years ago and still store it there each winter. No real problems with them.

beef
10-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the update, I wasn't aware of the two turnovers. I bought my boat from Lou, as well. Not surprised he wanted to get more ski time in. Do you know got the lake? Did it go with the dealership?

krra1
10-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Not sure about the lake, but from talking with the new owner it did not sound like he was involved with "Lake Lou"

Jerseydave
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
njskier, looking at a '98 205. It has about 260 hours on it. The owner has only had it for a few months (he says he is trying to buy his first house and needs a down payment). It makes me a little worried that he hasn't owned if very long but says that he just doesn't get out as much as he wanted to.
I have an appointment with Bay watersports tomorrow so we will see what happens.
Any specific things I should look out for? this would be my first inboard.

Hours sound very low for that year, which is good. Was it used in saltwater all its life? If so, count on new exhaust manifolds and risers at least. Maybe even more, like freeze plugs, steering cable, etc. Not trying to scare you, just have them look around for excess corrosion from salt use. (personally, I stay away from used salt water boats, but that's just me)

What engine? LT-1? That's what my '94 prostar had, great engine. You may also want to upgrade the prop to a new CNC'd one for a better holeshot and less vibration.

Basically, if the price is right you can sink a little money in it to make it near-perfect.

Jerseydave
10-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Not sure about the lake, but from talking with the new owner it did not sound like he was involved with "Lake Lou"

I heard that's a pretty sweet slalom lake..........someone should follow-up on this!

krra1
10-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Lake Lou:

I have a e-mail into a guy who joined the lake last summer, if he responds I will post it.

beef
10-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks, krra1. Thought about joining there before & would definitely be interested in contact info.

krra1
10-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Lou still owns the lake. Mike Sturdevant runs the lake and the boats. They are looking for members.

Jerseydave
10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
I just opened the mail and got a flyer from Bay Watersports, introducing themselves as the new owners and how it's a dream come true for them to own a boat dealership. Brad & Dawn Coston, welcome to the Mastercraft family!

They seem very customer oriented, always nice to hear that. If I lived in Maryland, I would def. use them.

Mastercraftrider, let us know how it went with the boat inspection.

mastercraftrider
10-22-2007, 10:45 AM
I had Bay watersports look at the boat for me last Wednesday and I was very happy with the service. Angie and Tommy were very helpful and I ended up going down to Baltimore this past weekend to pick it up. They told me it would need a circulating pump in the near future and the blower wasn't working. They water-tested it for me and told me that everything else seemed to work great, compression was very good. I took it out on Sunday and was pleased with how it ran. So now I am a proud owner of a 1998 Mastercraft 205!
The worst part was we made a road trip out of it and caught a Pen's game on the way down, took tons of pictures of everything and dropped the camera in the lake on Sunday.

Jerseydave
10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Did you mean a Penn State game? That stinks you dropped your camera in the drink!

Congrats on the new boat! We need pics!

What body of water will you be running her in?