PDA

View Full Version : Can I fold my X-star ZEROFLEX Tower?

manny34711
10-14-2007, 08:16 PM
First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Anyway:

I have a 2000 X-Star w/ the zeroflex tower. I currently park the boat outdoor and I'm sick of the mildew. I have to spend literally 3-4 hours scrubbing to get it all out after i park the boat for a couple of weeks.

Can I fold this tower so i can fit the boat into my garage?

http://www.usedboats.com/media/images350/1305844_1.jpeg

Mikey
10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
I have that same tower and yes it does fold down. The front legs have pins at the base that are easily removed. The tower then folds backwards pivoting on the back legs. Hope that helps.

manny34711
10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Awesome man thanks. About how long does it take to take down completly, and put back up?

Mikey
10-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Well it depend on how easy the pins come out. If they come out easy than you just pull them out an lay the tower back. It should be a very quick and easy process, shouldnt take you more than a minute.

kdr
10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Here is a tip to make it a one person job. Put a short rope on the tower tow point and hook the other end up to the winch on the trailer. Take the slack out of the line and lock the winch. Remove the pins and then use the winch to lower the tower.

manny34711
10-15-2007, 01:16 PM
kdr you lost me man. can u show me a picture or something? "See, I have this condition...."

Cary K.
10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Basically, attach a rope from the tower to your trailer winch and use the winch to lower the tower down into folded position. After you have removed the pins/knobs of course. Gravity is doing the work, and the winch just helps lower it smoothly and slowly. Pretty good idea, can't believe KDR thought of it. J/K Kirk !!!

kdr
10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Hardy har har, Cary. I had to come up with something since my wife tends to disappear when it comes time to put the boat away.

Manny, when you pull the pins that tower will fall ( and fall hard) unless someone is holding it up or it is supported some other way. So I tie a rope to the tower, unhook the winch from the bow eye of the boat, and tie the rope to the witch hook to support the tower weight. I then pull the tower pins and use the winch to slowly let the tower down. I just reverse the procedure to raise the tower.

Ryan
10-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Hardy har har, Cary. I had to come up with something since my wife tends to disappear when it comes time to put the boat away.

Manny, when you pull the pins that tower will fall ( and fall hard) unless someone is holding it up or it is supported some other way. So I tie a rope to the tower, unhook the winch from the bow eye of the boat, and tie the rope to the witch hook to support the tower weight. I then pull the tower pins and use the winch to slowly let the tower down. I just reverse the procedure to raise the tower.

Is it that heavy? Being towerless, I can claim ignorance. Couldn't you just clip the rope to the front lifting ring then lower/raise by hand with the rope?

kdr
10-15-2007, 02:38 PM
It is heavy, but you could do it by hand, but you have a lot more control using the wench, plus I doubt you could raise it by hand. Also I don't have the lifting ring on my boat.

Mikey
10-15-2007, 02:57 PM

This sounds like a good Idea but doesnt the winch cable rub on the nose of the boat? If so what to you use to prevent the cable from messing up the gelcoat? Im just curious. I usually have someone helping me so I dont need to use this method.

kdr
10-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah the webbing of the strap rests on the rub rail, and slightly touches the gelcoat. I have been doing it this way for about two years now and I haven't noticed any scratches on the gel.

manny34711
10-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Alright i got ya now. What kind of rope do you use? Any?

Maristar210
10-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Forgive me but....

Pull the pins and manually lower the tower onto the back deck. If it is going to contact the gel coat place a rag down and be done with it. Its not that heavy unless your loaded up with speakers which it does not look like.

I can be out of the water, boat wiped down, tower folded and backed into a 7 foot garage in less than ten minutes without any sort of issue.

Lowering it with a winch strap does not make sense to me at all, it ain't that heavy.....click on my boat next to my location and don't stare at Pheobe too long or you'll go blind... :D

Chief
10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Forgive me but....

Pull the pins and manually lower the tower onto the back deck. If it is going to contact the gel coat place a rag down and be done with it. Its not that heavy unless your loaded up with speakers which it does not look like.

I can be out of the water, boat wiped down, tower folded and backed into a 7 foot garage in less than ten minutes without any sort of issue.

Lowering it with a winch strap does not make sense to me at all, it ain't that heavy.....click on my boat next to my location and don't stare at Pheobe too long or you'll go blind... :D

I'm blind and I have some unexplained furry stuff growing on my palm. :D

kdr
10-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Maristar. You have a different tower.

Mikey
10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Pull the pins and manually lower the tower onto the back deck.

I agree. Its not that hard to do. Dont get me wrong the winch strap thing is not a bad idea but it seems to be alot of unnecessary work. You have two options here.

Option 1: Just pull the pins and slowly let it down manualy. This can all be done from inside the boat.;)

Or

Option 2: Unhook the strap from the boat, get in the boat, pull the strap up to the top of the tower and hook it up, get back out of the boat, winch the strap tight before you pull the pins, go over to the pin on the right side and pull it, walk around the boat to the left side and pull that pin, walk back to the front of the boat, lower the tower with the winch, get back in the boat, unhook the strap, winch the strap back in, hook it back up to the boat, tighten it back up.

auburn buck
10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Manny,

Those towers are a little heavy, but it is the awkward stretch and the weight combined that makes it a little nerve-wracking. On my Maristar, I can just reach the tower as it starts to move, and I haven't dropped it yet, but can see the day when it could. I am going to adapt KDR's approach.;)

manny34711
10-16-2007, 12:39 AM
i played with the tower today. I did it w/o the winch since i had my dad hanging around today. first time we've folded it since we have owned the boat. i havn't tried fitting inside the garage yet since we have some serious cleaning to do in it. im just praying and hoping it'll fit. i really hate leaving it outside. it almost makes me cry when i see how bad it gets after weeks of not using it. it took me 4 hours to completely remove the mildew stains and its still not perfect, but very close.

Maristar210
10-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Maristar. You have a different tower.

Yes I do mine weighs more but to each his own :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maristar210
10-16-2007, 08:08 AM
i played with the tower today. I did it w/o the winch since i had my dad hanging around today. first time we've folded it since we have owned the boat. i havn't tried fitting inside the garage yet since we have some serious cleaning to do in it. im just praying and hoping it'll fit. i really hate leaving it outside. it almost makes me cry when i see how bad it gets after weeks of not using it. it took me 4 hours to completely remove the mildew stains and its still not perfect, but very close.

Lots of 303 will solve this issue and keep it vented in case you cannot for some reason get it in the garage. Good Luck.