PDA

View Full Version : '83 S&S - Fix 'er upper?

shepherd
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I saw this boat parked in a storage lot at the beach. The beach (read "salt water") is no place for a boat like this - see the rust on the trailer? It looks like it's been sitting for a year or more though it has '07 registration decal which expired last month.

I'm thinking of trying to track down the owner. Or should I just let it die a slow death? :(

shepherd
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Stern area.

shepherd
10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
The gel coat is in pretty sorry shape and the decals have major cracking in them.

shepherd
10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I didn't pull the cover off to look at the interior or the motor but I'm assuming the worst. The running gear (prop, rudder, etc.) looks OK. I wonder if the guy would sell it? Winter's coming and I could use another project boat!

Are the metal flake gel coats salvagable? Can they be buffed out like the other normal gel coats?

pilot02
10-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Shep, they can be buffed, the thing you need to watch for is when doing so that you don't actually get into the metal flake which you'll know in a hurry because it will turn silver on you.. My suggestion would actually be to lightly sand it and reclear it either with a polyurethane clear or even clear gelcoat if you go that route. It is salvageable and honestly, the trailer doesn't look much worse than many I've seen that have been only used in freshwater but have spent their lives outside. My .02

BrianM
10-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Save it! The gel doesn't look that bad. As Pilot says the metal flake can be rebuffed, that only looks to be the clear gel that has oxidized.

Slinkyredfoot
10-14-2007, 09:14 PM
If you got he $$ buy it and restore it...these are classic grass roots boats for MC..I got a pic of this boat earlier this summer, he wanted $6500, I offered a lot less...Needless to say I do not own it...

This project will take some time and bucks to get lookin good but for someone it will be worth the efforts, I always loved the color scheme...could be a very beautiful boat....go for it man.....

drbesvold1
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
if i could afford it i would love to buy that boat and put the money into it hey tmc can i get a loan lol

shepherd
10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, first I'd have to track down the owner and see if he/she would be willing to part with it - let me take it off their hands for very very very little money. The condition it is in suggests to me that it's been neglected for years and they may take a token sum to be rid of it. But, for all I know the interior and engine may be immaculate... :rolleyes:

SkiDog
10-15-2007, 09:42 AM
IS there a lock on that POS trailer?!?!?!?!:D :D :D :D

Willski
10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
It's a shame, a nice piece of machinery like that going to waste....We have someone at our lake that has one sitting out. I think its a 92. Could be a nice boat, but it is all faded, cover is torn allowing water to get in. It's a cryin shame I tell ya!

shepherd
10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
IS there a lock on that POS trailer?!?!?!?!:D :D

Why yes, there is! :D :rolleyes:
I don't know why. A thief probably wouldn't get very far before the trailer fell apart. If nothing else, he'd have to put some air in the tires.