PDA

View Full Version : 15 inch rims OK?

tph
10-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I have a tandem trailer under my '89 Prostar with 14 inch wheels. The wheels and tires need to be replaced. I've found some 15 X 7 Jeep wheels with the right bolt pattern for sale. Does anyone know if they will work? If so, do you need to mount tires with a lower profile to make it work? Thanks in advance for any info.

Jayc
10-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I put 15 wheels on my pro comp trailer. I ran 195/60 15 tyres on them and they were fine.

As long as they don't look like they will rub anywhere you should be fine.

teddy
10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
You are right you would need to go to a lower profile tire to put a 15 inch wheel in place of a 14 inch wheel. Frequently referred to as plus sizing. If you go to the online tire sellers some of them will tell you the diameter of the tires so you could compare one to the other. This would depend on the amount of room you have under the fenders. They would also have the load rating on the tires.

I think the bigger issue is the weight that you are placing on the wheel and tire. Trailer rims are designed for the weight bearing so you would want to check that the Jeep rims are rated to carry the load as well as the tires you choose. The next issue is tires. Trailer tires have a stiffer side wall than passenger tires to keep you from having the trailer sway behind your tow unit.

Hope this helps.

TMCNo1
10-13-2007, 07:39 PM
I run 15"X8" on our single axle '89 MC trailer w/ 22570R15 MasterCraft OWL radials