PDA

View Full Version : Have ya winterized yet?

jss101
10-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh well, I hada do it. Yup. Sad but true! :( :(

I had my boat winterized this week. Shrink wrapped. Shut down!
Now I'll just live vicariously through all you folks in southern climes out there ski'n and board'n late into the season!

Ok, so.. who out there is like me.. Let's hear from some of you folks that have winterized already? Anybody out there? Put her away yet?

87MCProstar
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
i have not finished winterizing yet, the boat is out cleaned the hull and changed the oil so far. waiting for the weekend and the sun to come out so i can finish. but i'm also waiting to figure out if i am just going to pull the motor first before i finish.

WTRSK1R
10-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I am hoping to ski into November, but you never know. The mid day air temps are still tolerable (mid 60s) and the water temp is still about the same depending on the size of the lake. Frost warning out for tonight, so the lakes will drop somemore overnight. My garage stays above freezing well into December or January just from parking a hot car in it every night, so I am not concerned about the boat....yet.

JR34
10-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Oh well, I hada do it. Yup. Sad but true! :( :(

I had my boat winterized this week. Shrink wrapped. Shut down!
Now I'll just live vicariously through all you folks in southern climes out there ski'n and board'n late into the season!

Ok, so.. who out there is like me.. Let's hear from some of you folks that have winterized already? Anybody out there? Put her away yet?

About how much does that shrink-wrap cost? Just thought of that as an option.....no downside to storing outside all winter like that?

JerryS
10-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Not yet. Water temp is still in high 60's. Lots of skiing to be done now that all the wally's are gone. This is when my desire to have a heater and shower becomes understood by all my skiing pals!

Jerry

Lennyp04
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM
You guys are so lucky. My dad pulled the plug 3 now 4 weekends ago and now the boat sits in storage at the marina....unfortuantley.

But goin out with Doug g on sunday to wakeboard Lake Blue Marsh! So excitied!

Leroy
10-12-2007, 09:45 PM
We may go out Sunday for probably the last time. Frost warning tonight.

Shrink wrap is typically $10-$15 per foot.

lanier92prostar
10-12-2007, 09:50 PM
Last weekend for us. Not because of the temp, but because the lake is getting dangerous at our ski spots.

bigmac
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
About how much does that shrink-wrap cost? Just thought of that as an option.....no downside to storing outside all winter like that?

Depends on the local market, but typically around $13-$15 per foot of boat length. There are kits available for you to do it yourself and typically come with enough shrink wrap for 2 or 3 years for about $100/year, but the quality of the job is highly influenced by your ability to apply the heat properly and those propane heat guns run about $350 by themselves. So, amortized, you'd be looking at maybe $200/year for the first three years with an up-front first-year cost of about $600 (includes annual consumables like seam tape etc.). The more years you do it, the more you offset the cost of the heat gun. And, it's a nice little home business you could provide to others. I note that an increasing number of the locals around here are selling that service on a mobile basis, including a lot of the dock/lift/waterfront service guys. I see 'em driving around with a big roll of shrink wrap on a homemade rack on snowmobile trailers.

If you do wrap it or have it wrapped, make sure you have it vented properly or you may well be amazed at the amount of mold that can develop on the inside of a boat come spring.

MC2000190
10-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Its been a couple of weeks, northern Wisconsin at its best! Now she sits in the garage for me to look at every time I leave, could be worse I guess.

krra1
10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Mine goes to storage in the morning. Towing across the Chesapeake Bay bridge, which scares the crap out of me and storing at the dealer. They charge $10.00 per foot for the shrinkwrap.

TX.X-30 fan
10-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Water temp 84, forecast is for upper 80's through the weekend. I have not yet considered the winterizing thing. Actually the weather is better now than it was this summer. I like that crisp feel of the water when the temps drop below 85, and I know some of my northern buddies would agree. :D

Anyone looking for a pull on the river this weekend PM me.

Hey Bigmac whats all this about shrink wrapping boats.:noface: I do believe in vacuum sealing my venison, But vacuum sealing my X-30. :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
10-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Mine goes to storage in the morning. Towing across the Chesapeake Bay bridge, which scares the crap out of me and storing at the dealer. They charge $10.00 per foot for the shrinkwrap.

Not familiar with this bridge so bear with me here, what exactly is scary about towing across a bridge.:confused: Do ya'll saran wrap these boats because they are stored out in the elements? :noface:

Note to self here: Stay in Texas as long as I live. :D

Hey no offence just bustin HUEVOS, after all we are just 1 big melting pot right??

bigmac
10-12-2007, 11:17 PM
The snowmobiling sucks pretty bad in Texas. Winterizing the boat is a small price to pay.

Roonie's
10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
My boat has been sitting at dealers for almost three weeks now waiting to get winterized. Actually waiting for parts to come in to replace stuff under warranty and winterized.

Chief
10-12-2007, 11:34 PM
What's win-ter-zation? Is that in Feb 08? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I have to research this. Is that wearing a wetsuit in December?

T Scott
10-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I have never winterized boat......ever! This should not be attempted by anyone who lives north of Central Florida. Our winters here are a brisk 55 degrees!

bigmac
10-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Our winters here are a brisk 55 degrees!Yuck! That would make for some pretty crappy sledding.

TX.X-30 fan
10-12-2007, 11:57 PM
The snowmobiling sucks pretty bad in Texas. Winterizing the boat is a small price to pay.

Yes it does senior, its all give and take. I will not be handi wrapping my boat this winter either. ;) Keep a sharp eye out for the spring suit at X-mas that I post in the swimsuit thread. :noface:

TX.X-30 fan
10-13-2007, 12:01 AM
What's win-ter-zation? Is that in Feb 08? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I have to research this. Is that wearing a wetsuit in December?

THAT RULES........... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

daverbeck
10-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Southeast Wisconsin - we'll ski this weekend and (hopefully) next then pull the boats / piers. Garage storage so no shrink wrap needed.

Gotta get a wet suit one of these years. It's in the 30's tonight!

tex
10-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SDAhockey21
10-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreeeeeeeeeeeed! NEVER:D

rodltg2
10-13-2007, 01:33 AM
same here, never do it..

91ps190
10-13-2007, 02:45 AM
MY baby goes to sleep next week. The lake is too low, the weather to cold, and I guess I am too old.

Jerseydave
10-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Going out sunday and maybe once more on the 19th (my birthday), then she gets winterized.

"The waiting is the hardest part"
-Tom Petty

bigmac
10-13-2007, 10:57 AM
I had my boat winterized and detailed about 10 days ago and just put in and the rest of the floating stock in the back storage building yesterday. I changed the lower unit oil on all the outboards and SeaFoamed and fogged 'em. All I have left to do is hook up the battery float charger and the turbo fan (mold prevention).

The lake is dead calm this morning, with a wisp of steam all across it. Very cool in the sunrise. My buddy's X-10 is still in the water so we'll do a little foiling today. Time to look for the Polar Fleece and and lube up the dry suit.:)

Datdude
10-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Finally had the boat winterized yesterday and the new owner picks her up today:cool:

Time to think about getting the snowmobiles ready!:D :D

CRAIGTHEMAN
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
just did mine this week....it sucks now cuz i don't know what to do with myself during the weekends now....guess i will have to start drinking more lol....im from the green bay wisconsin and all these people in here that r from this area that are still boating r nuts...i tired to go out boarding one last time earlier this week and WOOOOOO...the u know whats just right into my throat...but now the countdown now begins from next summer

Bert
10-13-2007, 02:02 PM
MY baby goes to sleep next week. The lake is too low, the weather to cold, and I guess I am too old.
We were snowmobiling in your backyard last weekend! You will have to get sleds now.
Still skiing at Mara. We have room for your motor home in the yard out there if ya want to check it out next year.

suedv
10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
We used ours last year 'till Thanksgiving. We're hoping to go at least that long this year. Fall boating is my favorite! Frequently we have the water all to ourselves. It's great for barefooting and taking pictures. I can't handle heat and humidity very well so I don't like summer as much.

The guys in my family put on wet suits and heater shirts. It's all good. :)

sand2snow22
10-14-2007, 12:28 AM
scheduled for Oct. 24th. I'm praying for a sunny day. Would it be a D!ck if I canceled b/c of rain? She's spotless right now!!

TX.X-30 fan
10-14-2007, 12:38 AM
AIR TEMP 88, WATER TEMP 84, FUN FACTOR ( WELL I'M SURE YOU CAN IMAGINE).

Have to go look for my polar fleece board shorts.
:D

91ps190
10-14-2007, 01:35 AM
We were snowmobiling in your backyard last weekend! You will have to get sleds now.
Still skiing at Mara. We have room for your motor home in the yard out there if ya want to check it out next year.

No sleds - too many motorized toys now. Should be able to quad most of the winter I'm hoping. Did you buy a place at mara? I use to love going out there in sept - nice temps and almost no people. That ended when Jake started school.

Bert
10-14-2007, 02:00 AM
No sleds - too many motorized toys now. Should be able to quad most of the winter I'm hoping. Did you buy a place at mara? I use to love going out there in sept - nice temps and almost no people. That ended when Jake started school.
Yes, we get possesion on Nov 1st, if all conditions have been met by the seller. Nice big property with old building that will work for sleddin this winter. Plan is to demo it and build in a year or so.

JohnnyB
10-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Typically don't even think about it until the calendar reads November and then it depends on what else is on my calendar.....try to get it done before deer hunting in Wisconsin.....1st warm weekend in November is usually when I get it done.

Late season skiing is some of the best skiing as typically we're the only ones on the water...was out Friday afternoon over a "long lunch break".....46deg air temp and water about the same temp.

I've been slowly buying the necessary items as they've been on sale in prep for getting it done...RV Antifreeze, oil, filter, etc.

Slinkyredfoot
10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Yea, I winterized today, pulled the boat out, took the pier out, looking forward to next spring. Seems to always be a shallow feeling at the end of the boating. lake season. Looking forward to some upgrades on the boat this winter, and spring will ne here before we know it....:(

sully
10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Went out yesterday, it was 65 degrees out side. I started winterazation process today.
fixed rocks chips on trailer
took everything out of the boat, skis,vest, boards ....
cleaned interior (where did all this sand come from? :confused: )
got oil changed
Well that's enough for today. :o
I'll work a little every night on it tilll she's done

Maristar210
10-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Me?

No way....

Wakeboard and snowboard in the same day????

Oh yeah!!!

tex
10-14-2007, 10:15 PM
I keep reading about this winterized stuff. Can you Yankees explain it to me?

Slinkyredfoot
10-14-2007, 10:21 PM

Yea, my explaination is this....... you kinda tic me off....;)

tex
10-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Yea, my explaination is this....... you kinda tic me off....;)
Kinda??????
I bet you have more ski days in then I do!

Slinkyredfoot
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Kinda??????
I bet you have more ski days in then I do!

Then all I can say is, this is your problem....

bigmac
10-14-2007, 11:19 PM

I don't think so, Tex. It's pretty technical.

tex
10-14-2007, 11:43 PM
I don't think so, Tex. It's pretty technical.
I heard it's all ball bearings these days!

bigmac
10-15-2007, 12:20 AM
I heard it's all ball bearings these days!
:D :D

jss101
10-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Alright! It's nice to know I've got company on this winterizing thing! It's the price we pay for the supreme honor of getting to ski in beautiful New England (or other northern locations). As the trees turn and the air turns brisk it makes you realize how nice it is here, even in winter.

Time to plan the winter ski (snow) trip!
The boat's put up for winter. Well, almost. Trailer tire went flat after I brought it home from the dealer. Big screw went deep into the tire. Bummer, man! Wonder where I picked that up. Stupid tires are expensive, $130! They say it can't be repaired since the screw is too close to the sidewall. Ah, well. We love to pour money into our boats, right??

Shrink wrap in this area is $15/foot. If vented properly it works great for outdoor storage. I take most of the cushions out of the boat first and store then in the shed where it's dry.

jss101
10-15-2007, 10:39 AM
AIR TEMP 88, WATER TEMP 84, FUN FACTOR ( WELL I'M SURE YOU CAN IMAGINE).

Have to go look for my polar fleece board shorts.
:D

Yeah, but think about all of the snow you miss out on! :D

mccobmd
10-15-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm taking my boat up on thursday to have it winterized, But the upside is I drained, cleaned and fired up the Hot tub for the fall and winter. It's important to have year round water activities.

KnoxX2
10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Don't Winterize We keep the boat inside.

I will be adding Stabal to the fuel this weekend and giving her a good wax.

JohnnyB
10-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I realized that I'm running out of weekends on the calendar that don't have some type of committment. Weather was in the 60s today so I winterized.....:( :( :(

End of a great season and many good memories.

My four year old daughter "helped me" with my winterizing process and excitedly reminded me, when I was rolling it back into the garage, that I can go get the snowmobiles (out of storage) now.

She also told me she likes the boat better because she likes to ski with me :D

Chief
10-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Nope, hitting the water tomorrow with Trick.

jss101
10-21-2007, 09:58 AM
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff228/waterskiman/readyforwinter.jpg

Ready for winter! Hey, it's gotta be sometime. :(

Jerseydave
10-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Taking mine to the dealer for a couple waranty issues and winterize monday. Sad, really 'cause it's going to hit 75 today and the water is still around 60. Maybe Dmayer will keep his running for a few more weeks!

bigmac
10-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Taking mine to the dealer for a couple waranty issues and winterize monday. Sad, really 'cause it's going to hit 75 today and the water is still around 60. Maybe Dmayer will keep his running for a few more weeks!

60F and the lake is like glass here this morning. Sprinkling a little. Water temps about 60. Boat's in the shed, but I'm waiting for a call from my buddy, whose X10 is still sitting in his lift ready to go.

TX.X-30 fan
10-21-2007, 11:47 AM

In a holding pattern on the winterization, 88 yesterday water 81. :D

Farmer Ted
10-21-2007, 11:51 AM
we hit the water for about an hour, didn't realize I forgot to put gas in the boat until I pulled it off the trailer......

water was brisk, luckily we had the shorties

I am not going to winterize until I've skiied in November, regardless of the water temp

pilot02
10-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Skied yesterday... I don't winterize!! I drain the block after each time we ski once we start getting into the 20's

BrianM
10-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Skied yesterday... I don't winterize!! I drain the block after each time we ski once we start getting into the 20's

About the same here. I don't winterize but do drain the block after each use in the colder weather of Dec, Jan and Feb.

Hey Griff, when you going to be back down this way?

JohnnyB
10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
60F and the lake is like glass here this morning. Sprinkling a little. Water temps about 60. Boat's in the shed, but I'm waiting for a call from my buddy, whose X10 is still sitting in his lift ready to go.

I'm fortunate, too, in that I've got a friend that has an outboard skiboat so I'll probably foot 1-2 times in each month between now and March when my boat comes back out.

Lately, it's been warm but it's been really windy here.

André
10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Did it today...:(
Weather supposed to get into mid to high 70 tomorrow but windy so i decided it was time.Water is 54 so it's pretty much over for me.
Closing a great ski season with a new pb of 1.5 at 35 off and ran 32 off 7 times since mid-August.
Removed the course balls yesterday and sank the course for winter.
6 months and 20 days before skiing again...and learn it all over again.:D

east tx skier
10-21-2007, 10:50 PM
we hit the water for about an hour, didn't realize I forgot to put gas in the boat until I pulled it off the trailer......

water was brisk, luckily we had the shorties

I am not going to winterize until I've skiied in November, regardless of the water temp

Water near the LA/TX border was a blamy 78.6 degrees yesterday.

FoggyNogginz
10-21-2007, 10:55 PM
I never winterize until the week of the first freeze. And then I will pull it back out in December, run it for a weekend, and winterize again if we get one of those 70+ degree weekends here in TN. What's an hour of work and a few bucks really matter if you can go to the lake on ONE MORE Saturday? :-)

BrianM
10-21-2007, 10:59 PM
Closing a great ski season with a new pb of 1.5 at 35 off and ran 32 off 7 times since mid-August.
Removed the course balls yesterday and sank the course for winter.
6 months and 20 days before skiing again...and learn it all over again.:D

I feel like you are my north of the boarder skiing brother. Same PB this season. I ran 2 32s back to back on Saturday for the first time ever. Bonus for me is that now is about the best skiing of the season. Air temps are great but the water has cooled a bit making it just a little faster. :D

Tennesseeski
10-21-2007, 11:20 PM
I got mine done today! Bought a house back in the spring with a basement to keep the boat in so it will have a nice place to stay warm this year. It is NICE to have a place to keep the boat in the dry now. PLUS I don't have to worry about TREES:mad: anymore!!!!!! Made sure none close enough to house to worry about before we bought.:D

Footin
10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Not yet, went to ski on Saturday and the river was so low the ramp was unuseable. May be putting it away soon.

mccobmd
10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Took it in last thursday, cost $242 and that includes, the spring hook back up. It was a very sad day but I did get the hot tub ready and here in OK it is a high of 51 today.

André
10-22-2007, 07:34 PM
I feel like you are my north of the boarder skiing brother. Same PB this season. I ran 2 32s back to back on Saturday for the first time ever. Bonus for me is that now is about the best skiing of the season. Air temps are great but the water has cooled a bit making it just a little faster. :D
Seriously looking at a hardshell front binding.
You think that would put me one ball ahead of you?;)
Congrats on the back to back 32's,good job!The beer must have been really good afterward!!!:)
Did you try 35 ? My arms are still hurting from hanging on after one ball...Feels like some kind of tennis elbow.I think i overstretched them!:D

daverbeck
10-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Skied Sunday and it was pushing 80 in SE Wisconsin but windy! Pulled the boats, piers and lifts in the afternoon. I'm holding off on winterizing for another week or 2 hoping for 1 more run but that is probably just wishfull thinking (skiing in Wisconsin in November?).:rolleyes:

Footin
11-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Winterized yesterday, changed the oil and got it ready for the upcoming cold weather.

It was a sad day.

damaged442
11-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Winterized two weeks ago. Put it in storage last weekend between my two Oldsmobiles. You guys that can play all year sure have got it made! Anyone else out there still skiing in central NY that can hook a brother up? I bring $$$ and good beer.:D :headbang: :friday:

Chief
11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
A great day on the water wakeboarding today with Trick.

georgea0731
11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
With no rain, and the lakes so low, we could have winterized along time ago. The MC dealer is no longer a MC dealer on Lake Martin, AL. Their Centrium (sp), but will do any warranty work for 3 more years then only pay as you go maintenance.

Bruce
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Took the grandson for a run on the slalom and the board yesterday evening about 6 pm flat and beautifull. He boarded a plane back to Steubenville Ohio today (Franciscan Univ.) He really hated swapping his wet suit for a down jacket.

MarkP
11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Its all over fer me. My boat went away on the 29th. We got our last runs in on my partners boat today.. His boat should be winterized this week. :( ..

Jet
11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
The boat is out of the water since October 15th.

Still grieving... Using my MC does not help either...