PDA

View Full Version : In-Dash Depth Sounders

86PowerSlot190MC
03-10-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm looking into a depth sounder and from what Iím reading, some of these sounders are a piece of c*#@. :confused:

Can anyone recommend a reliable in dash model???

Holtrodj
03-10-2005, 07:16 PM
The Hummingbird and Lawrence Models get recommended a lot. Which ones have you read are no good?

Cary K.
03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I bought a Hummingbird from Overtons for my old ProStar. Worked like a champ.

Hummingbird (http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=71158)

86PowerSlot190MC
03-10-2005, 07:30 PM
The Hummingbird and Lawrence Models get recommended a lot. Which ones have you read are no good?

The HDR600 Dash Mount Sounder, The Hawkeye digital depth sounder DF100D and Uniden Sonar Units QT206HP didnít get a good write up at all???

All three seemed to suffer from failures after one season of use???

Holtrodj
03-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Where are you reading this?

jsonova99
03-10-2005, 07:41 PM
The HDR600 Dash Mount Sounder, The Hawkeye digital depth sounder DF100D and Uniden Sonar Units QT206HP didnít get a good write up at all???

Crap, I bought a hawkeye on Ebay, haven't installed it yet, but like an idiot I chucked the reciept I think.

MarkP
03-10-2005, 07:42 PM

Thatís the first Iíve heard about that.. I have been considering all of those models as a matter of fact. I would however like to find an in dash depth finder that also has water temp.

Professor
03-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Thatís the first Iíve heard about that.. I have been considering all of those models as a matter of fact. I would however like to find an in dash depth finder that also has water temp.

I would like one of those!

Holtrodj
03-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Crap, I bought a hawkeye on Ebay, haven't installed it yet, but like an idiot I chucked the reciept I think.

I bought the same one, but for the price - If i get a season or two out of it that'll be ok I guess.

I'd still like to know where were reading they're no good.

DanC
03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
My Lowrance has worked fine for 1 1/2 years. My Uniden worked fine for 12 years. My friend's Uniden worked fine for 10 years. There is a sample of three out of about 3 million. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put too much stock in the reviews in terms of reliability. I also tend to stay away from new companies and first year models.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I've got a Hummingbird that has worked just fine. It is sized the same diameter as the other gauges and looks like it belongs in the dash as well.

86PowerSlot190MC
03-10-2005, 08:00 PM
My Lowrance has worked fine for 1 1/2 years. My Uniden worked fine for 12 years. My friend's Uniden worked fine for 10 years. There is a sample of three out of about 3 million. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't put too much stock in the reviews in terms of reliability. I also tend to stay away from new companies and first year models.

Your probably right most of the bad reviews came from people buying sounders from West Marine. If I had paid $159.00 for the Hummingbird and found the exact same model at Overtons for $99.99, I would be ranting and raving too!! :rant:

Cary K.
03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I would however like to find an in dash depth finder that also has water temp.

Just use PP for water temp.If you don't have PP, forget the depth finder, save up for it. But that is another thread.

ski_king
03-10-2005, 08:51 PM
....... I would however like to find an in dash depth finder that also has water temp.

Dosn't PerfectPass with the paddlewheel indicate water temperture?

I have the Hummingbird and it works great. It amazes my how well it works at speed.
Got mine at SKIDIM.com

Cary K.
03-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Great minds think alike I guess !!!

Ski-A-Rees
03-10-2005, 09:08 PM
My ski club is sponcered through teleflex so all of my guages are from them. Does anyone have one from teleflex?

JohnnyB
03-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Installed a Lowrence last spring and was very happy with its performance. The transducer is epoxied to the hull opposite the fresh water intake.

Cary K.
03-10-2005, 09:42 PM
That is exactly where and how I mounted my transducer for my the Hummingbird HDR600 in the old boat. Never had a single problem.

DanC
03-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Yes you can get an in dash digital model with temp but then you will not be able to use the "epoxy inside the hull" transducer. You will need to use a transom mount transducer or a "cut a hole in the bottom of my boat" type transducer.

Professor
03-10-2005, 09:51 PM
... or a "cut a hole in the bottom of my boat" type transducer.
Yeah, you know...just something about the way that sounds :eek3:

MarkP
03-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Yes you can get an in dash digital model with temp but then you will not be able to use the "epoxy inside the hull" transducer. You will need to use a transom mount transducer or a "cut a hole in the bottom of my boat" type transducer.
I do realize the need for a more invasive installation for the temp. I just donít remember seeing the 2 1/8Ē in dash with that feature.

Nova Scotia Skier
03-10-2005, 10:59 PM
I have a Hummingbird in my boat(not sure of model). It was there when I bought the boat. I've had it for 2 years, and it works wonderfully. It reads very well at any speed. :)

BriEOD
03-10-2005, 11:02 PM
I have a Uniden and once you get the transducer (puck) epoxy"ed" down it works like a champ!

milkmania
03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
My ski club is sponcered through teleflex so all of my guages are from them. Do anyone one from teleflex?

mine came with a Teleflex...
it was just floating around loose in the bilge when I bought the boat, and the dealer re-epoxied it to the hull.

it don't work...it says everything is 182 feet

whitedog
03-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Have ahd hummingbirds for years in the I/Os never a problem. lawerance makes a didital model with water temp and a a through hull transducer. Uses a fitting in the raw water intake for water temp. Have seen them on cruisers. Will be pricey compaired to standard model though.

DanC
03-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Mark, you're right. I was mixed up with our old digital speedometers. Once upon a time several mfgs made a digital speedo, 2" digital display, paddle wheel. Before GPS. We did not have regular access to ski courses so we installed the digital speedos for calibrating the analog speedos. Some also had a temp transducer. Haven't seen em in over 5 years.

jsonova99
03-11-2005, 08:40 AM
I bought the same one, but for the price - If i get a season or two out of it that'll be ok I guess.

I'd still like to know where were reading they're no good.

Me too, I mean it seems nice enough, are the transducers for these things pretty universal across brands? I hate epoxying a transducer in the boat and having to do it again if the depth finder dies. :confused:

dmac
03-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Having grounded my prop at the end of last season, I will be giving strong consideration to purchasing this item this year. I remember discussing it with the dealer and obviously they "quoted" an OEM price because it was quite high. Happily one of the readouts on the digital display is water temp on my '04.

Footin
03-11-2005, 09:18 AM
In my three past boats I have had Hummingbird, Standard and Lowrance depth finders. IMHO the lowrance was by far the best.
The first two would "flash" the depth while the lowance instantly adjusted to the changing bottom. One thing I must remember is that the Hummingbird I had was in 1991, I am sure they have changed alot since then.
I am going to put the same Lowrance 3500 in my new boat in a few weeks.

planoboy
03-11-2005, 11:53 AM
I bot the norcross unit since it had a surface mount option.
Mounted it under the dash, very un-obtrusive, kept the clock, I like it.
http://www.boatfix.com/catalog04/mesco.p31.pdf
Puttin the boat in the water Saturday to test it. (85 forcasted! :) )
Do a search on boatfix.com under electronics for hdr600 & you will find the hummingbird for $75.
Their prices are better using the electronics search?
http://www.boatfix.com/bykeywordnew2ele.asp?textfield=hdr600&texttype=2

MarkP
03-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Every time I look at a thread like this one I end up on a 2hr search for an in dash (2 1/8) depth finder with water temp and again I have come up empty..

Bert
03-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I've got a Hummingbird that has worked just fine. It is sized the same diameter as the other gauges and looks like it belongs in the dash as well.
Where did you mount the gauge in the dash? have you gat a photo?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Where did you mount the gauge in the dash? have you gat a photo?
I will be heading north to see the boat next weekend and will get a shot of it then. It sits on the left side of the gauge cluster. The guy I bought the boat from installed it there. I know he said he relocated one to the other gauges or the key switch.....I'd have to see an original dash to know what was moved. He did a nice job and it looks good.

Bert
03-13-2005, 05:20 PM
I will be heading north to see the boat next weekend and will get a shot of it then. It sits on the left side of the gauge cluster. The guy I bought the boat from installed it there. I know he said he relocated one to the other gauges or the key switch.....I'd have to see an original dash to know what was moved. He did a nice job and it looks good.
My 91 has the fuel gauge, hour meter and ignition switch on the left and the oil pressure, volts and temperature gauges on the right. I have wanted to install a depth gauge but never have been able figure out where to put it. looking forward to that photo. Thanks

Brn85ss
03-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I put new gauges in this year,and ordered a tach with the hour meter built into the tack.Now I have an empty spot for the depth gauge.

ski_king
03-13-2005, 06:51 PM
I put new gauges in this year,and ordered a tach with the hour meter built into the tack.Now I have an empty spot for the depth gauge.
That's what I did on my 82 as well. I even ran the hours up on the new tach/hourmeter to match the meter I took out.

H20skeefreek
03-13-2005, 07:09 PM
That's what I did on my 82 as well. I even ran the hours up on the new tach/hourmeter to match the meter I took out.

that would take me forever, is there a quick way to do it?

ski_king
03-13-2005, 07:41 PM
that would take me forever, is there a quick way to do it?
I had about 550 hours at the time. I just hooked up a 12 VDC supply to the hour meter input and set it in the corner for 23 days and marked the calander when to unplug it.
The only way I will ever see my hour meter run in January.

Bert
03-13-2005, 08:45 PM
So what is a new tach with hr meter worth? does it match the other guages?

ski_king
03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
New, about $150. I got mine off ebay for less than $50, it had 50 hours on it and has the MasterCraft logo.
It comes close to matcing the other gauges (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=22171&postcount=3) . I plan on updating them soon also.

bret
03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Having installed several of the Hummingbird ones here's what I've done. Find the spot where you want to mount it, it must be straight fiberglass hull, no second hull or foam in between the transducer and the water - just straight good fiberglass. Clean this area with good cleaner and scuff it up(scotchbrite), set the transducer down and make marks to line it up and for the epoxy. MIx up the expoxy really good. Spread a small amount on the transducer like butter covering the whole area completely, making sure no air holes are present and try to to do the same with the hull area. Mate the two areas of epoxy together, push down on the transducer until epoxy just comes out the sides. On 190 and 205, I have installed these just beside/slightly in front of where the shaft goes through the hull, all fiberglass there, and run the wire to the side and then up front. I guess my Hummingbird is 9 y/o and still working like a champ. It does cut out on a hard right turn above 32-34 mph and doesn't work well above 38mph but anything below 30 mph it's great.

Bert
03-13-2005, 10:00 PM
New, about $150. I got mine off ebay for less than $50, it had 50 hours on it and has the MasterCraft logo.
It comes close to matcing the other gauges (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=22171&postcount=3) . I plan on updating them soon also.
That looks very nice, so close to the other guages and with the MC logo who would know it wasn't original.
I need to find one of those.

Brn85ss
03-13-2005, 11:13 PM

I paid 110.00 on e-bay for all new gauges.Tach,voltmeter,gas,oil,temp,speedo and for 10 bucks more I got an ampmeter.Won't use the speedo.I couldn't even buy the tach for what I paid for all the gauges.And they are Faria brand which came O.E.M. in my boat.+ the hourmeter was built into the tach.

georgea0731
03-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I believe MC use to offer both depending on the year. I put a traditional Lowrance (2 inch gauge) in my 04 because it was about the same price as the new digital multi functional gauge (included temperature read out) but is too small to read/see. I figured since MC used Lowrance in 03 then they had to do a little research to select this company over the others (I hope). I posted a picture from a factory tour on where MC showed me to mount the transducer. I concur, I remember someone a few years back offering a DS with temperature readout, but you had to drill a hole through the bottom of the boat. I thought that was crazy, but now they have paddle wheels going through most of them.
I've had Hummingbirds in my 96 & 98 boats. They seemed to work o.k., but would get blank readings sometimes for just a second or two. It was usually cruising between 25-34 mph.
Good luck!

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-04-2005, 11:59 PM
My 91 has the fuel gauge, hour meter and ignition switch on the left and the oil pressure, volts and temperature gauges on the right. I have wanted to install a depth gauge but never have been able figure out where to put it. looking forward to that photo. Thanks
Finally got the shot for you. I labeled the locations in case it is tough to make out what is what on the gauges

NeilM
04-05-2005, 01:47 AM
MarkP: Teleflex Marine used to make a combo depth sounder and air temp + water temp gauge -- I had one I bought from Overtons in the late 90's. Unfortunately, they discontinued them.
Bigfoot makes a dedicated temp gauge, but I'd also lean toward getting the Perfect Pass -- then you have it all...

brady1022
04-12-2005, 05:27 PM
The hawkeye, is definatly on the low end of the market for depth sounders, but after selling the things for a few years I'd recommend either a uniden, standard horizon, or a lowrance, but be careful with the lowrance. -Brady

TCrate
04-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I bought a Uniden, one week in Florida and it condensated so bad internally that it shorted out. I had to get it replaced. Luckily free of charge. Second one seems to be working OK. I would try the hummingbird. I think one of the catalog companies quit selling the Uniden and that is why I got it on the cheap.

planoboy
05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I have a brand new in box Hummingbird HDR600 digital in dash depth finder w/ in hull transducer. I will make some board memeber a deal on it. Paid $100, first $50 bucks gets it. Plus shipping.
(I decided to use a surface mount install instead)
I will also post in marketpace.
R/plano

MarkP
05-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Looks like that hdr600 found a good home and is on its way to PA. Thanks planoboy. Check will be in the mail.:headbang:

planoboy
05-13-2005, 06:12 PM
glad you got it, I will ship it out tomorrow.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people,
and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain
Regards,
Plano
ps, 30 posts, trying to be rid the newbie moniker!

MarkP
05-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Congratulations on becoming ďregularĒ!!:banana: !

planoboy
05-13-2005, 06:23 PM
thx...plainold, regular, it fits.

DanC
05-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Every time I look at a thread like this one I end up on a 2hr search for an in dash (2 1/8) depth finder with water temp and again I have come up empty..

Hey Mark

Just saw this week's Overtons catalog and they have a new Lowrance, 2" digital depthfinder WITH TEMPERATURE. :banana:

MarkP
05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Hey Mark

Just saw this week's Overtons catalog and they have a new Lowrance, 2" digital depthfinder WITH TEMPERATURE. :banana:You are kidding right??

ski_king
05-13-2005, 09:29 PM
It (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=72717) has a transom mount transducer.
click here (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=72717)

MarkP
05-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks Denny and Dan

I may have given that one some consideration but for the ducer..

Our new Masterctaft dealer is going to call me back about three weeks ago with info on one too.

I think I will be happy with the one thatís on the way.. Thanks again Plano..:toast:
Hey Denny, your boy was out of the rear boots so no go with him. But Wileys fixed me right the HeLL up:headbang:

BriEOD
05-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Mark give me a shout if you need some tips on the install. The hardest part is finding a spot for that puck.

MarkP
05-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Mark give me a shout if you need some tips on the install. The hardest part is finding a spot for that puck.
Thanks Brian

I will give you a buz when its time..

MarkP
05-20-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a brand new in box Hummingbird HDR600 digital in dash depth finder w/ in hull transducer. I will make some board memeber a deal on it. Paid $100, first $50 bucks gets it. Plus shipping.
(I decided to use a surface mount install instead)
I will also post in marketpace.
R/plano
Plano

I got it, looks great.. Thanks a lot..

BriEOD
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
You put it in yet?

Tennesseeski
05-20-2005, 06:04 PM
I got my HDR600 put into the dash and wired in. Put boat in water last week to try it out before I mount the puck and all works great. Now, I have to figure out where to run cable . Has anyone else put one on a 93 205? Floor in front of pole comes out easy but cant run cable between it and seat. Don't see another easy way to get floor up anywhere else. Would like to run it down side but don't see anywhere to get it down to hull. Anybody got an idea??

MarkP
05-20-2005, 06:36 PM
You put it in yet?
Not yet, Just got it today. Probably do it next week. Test it next weekend and glue it down after the test.

Now Tennesseeski, I will have an idea next week for sure. I have the same boat and can lay pipe like a plumber, ah, wire/cable whatever.

I do however have a question for you about the dash location. I plan to put the gauge in place of the clock. Is that what you did? If so, how did you access behind the dash?? Also, what power source did you use??

Tennesseeski
05-20-2005, 11:24 PM
I also put mine where the clock was and it works great. To get behind the dash I just removed the 5 screws that run along the top of the dash pad and pulled it out. Then removed the clock. Wired it into the switch so when it it on the depth will be displayed. Fiqured if I wanted to check depth before I start up I just need to turn on switch and it will tell me. All works great, just gotta get the puck down.

MarkP
05-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks Tenski. I more than likely will do my install next week and hope I find the cable rout. Iím sure others have done this install and will offer advice.

I think I would like to have my power work with the key so I donít forget to switch it off.

Brian, are you powered to an auxiliary switch too??

H20skeefreek
05-21-2005, 09:50 AM
I would wire it to be on all the time and just remember to turn it off. here is the problem I ran into on mine. If you wire it to the ON side of the key, it won't work in ACCessory, so if you want to check the depth, you have to have the key in ON. If you wire it to ACC, then it will work both when in ACC and on, but everytime you go from ACC to ON, it'll shut off and you have to turn it back on if you want it on.

Wire it up to BATT and get a battery run down protection device.

luckybil
05-17-2008, 04:19 AM
I have two sets both new. teleflex in dash depth & temp finders I want to get rid of.

Ski-me
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Just to bring this thread back to life....:D

My depth unit in my 94' doesn't seem to work anymore and I got a gift for a new one! Anyone have some experience with any of these three depth gauges? I do like the idea of a water temp sensor but don't like the idea of drilling holes.

Because I have PP, can I use one of the speedo holes to run the wires for a transom mount?

Anyone heard of using the raw water intake tube for the lake temperature sensor? That sounds to be the best (least invasive) type of installation. Then I could use the "in-hull" puck to epoxy inside the boat.

Here are the three I was thinking about.....

BarefootOz
04-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Just to bring this thread back to life....:D

Anyone have some experience with any of these three depth gauges? I do like the idea of a water temp sensor but don't like the idea of drilling holes.
Here are the three I was thinking about.....

Ski-me... I bought and installed the http://www.faria-instruments.com/depthsounder.php (http://www.faria-instruments.com/depthsounder.php) on my boat... it works great!... it came with a "thru hull" transducer so I had to drill a 2" hole in the hull... they do have the "in-hull" transducers... you do not need a hole for the water temperature sensor since it is already built in the transducer...

CantRepeat
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I replaced my old one with a Hummingbird you have pictured and it has work well for the last two years.

Ski-me
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I can't seem to find a Humminbird that also has a temp sensor.....that sure would be nice.

At this point, I do like the look of the Faria but still toying with the idea of a chrome bezel when the rest of my gauges have a black bezel. Also, I think that the transom mount would be OK if I was after a water temp reading. Drilling that large of a hole in the hull looks pretty scary! Wow that's a big hole there BarefootOZ!

Have you been satisfied with the Faria?

The only complaint I've heard on the Lowrance is the built in clock keeps resetting itself when the power is turned off (by the ignition key). Otherwise, you could wire it constantly on.....draining the battery. Doesn't sound like the best method so essentially, the clock would be useless.

CantRepeat
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I don't need to know the water temp bad enough to hole saw a 2" hole in my boat. wow!

Ski-me
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I don't need to know the water temp bad enough to hole saw a 2" hole in my boat. wow!

Me either! There are two other options....transom mount and In Hull puck. If I go with the "glue in, in-hull puck" all I need to do is mount the temp sensor somewhere outside, under the waterline. The water sensor is a simple, two screw installation. I'm thinking this sensor could use the same holes that one of my current speedo pickups use (perfect pass in old speedo location).

This looks to be the best, least invasive installation.

Here is the Faria install guide. The two temp sensors look easy.

Ski-me
05-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I mounted the temp sensor in the same location as one of the speedos. This pic is a little dated as I did drill a second hole to hold the sensor completely against the hull. I also cleaned up the silicone and used a clear one rather than the shown white.

My results after being out last weekend.....the sensor worked great and gave me accurate water temp when sitting still in the water. Temp said about 63 degrees. Once we took off, the temp rose to about 73 degrees. Once we stopped again and gave it a few minutes, it went back down to 63 with the engine running.

Basically, I don't think I got a lot off errors or false readings once I was sitting still.

Next step....securing the transducer. :o