PDA

View Full Version : To start or not to start

Cariboo
10-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I have a 96 205 that I have not even started this year. I just had my
1st child this summer so I've been too busy to take the boat out.

It doesn't look like I will be able to take the boat out this year, but should I hook the hose to it and at least start it?

Also, I did all the standard procedures to put the boat in storage last fall and wonder if I need to do anything else to the engine since the storage may go to 2 years. By the way, I live in SC so I have not had to deal with the extreme temp changes.

Thanks.

stars79stripes
10-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Cariboo,

I have mothballed boats for 3-4 years without any issues. As long as it was laid up properly you should not have any trouble, except maybe mice.

I would leave it alone, starting it means you have to do your lay-up routine all over again. As long as the battery is out and properly stored you should be good. Worst case is you have to by a new battery.

Mike

Leroy
10-12-2007, 12:25 AM
I did normal storage process and stored for two years with no problem here in Indianapolis.

If you are just going to fire it up, don't bother. If you are going to get out several times I would go ahead. Of course you need to summerize and then winterize again.

It wouldn't hurt to open it up and look inside to see if there is any mold or mouse poop.

JimN
10-12-2007, 03:36 AM
I would probably remove the fuel pump fuse and crank it over for 10 seconds, three or four times in five minutes. That way, the cylinder walls will be coated with oil and the upper moving parts will keep from being rusted in place. Condensation has a way of getting to where it really doesn't need to be, and causing problems.