PDA

View Full Version : Capacity Plate 1991 Prostar 190

skiwit
10-11-2007, 11:14 PM
I just purchased my first boat. Its a bright blue 1991 Prostar 190. I've been fixing up some of the minor things that the previous owner let go over the years. It needs some upholstery work but other then that it runs great and can't wait till next spring.

I noticed that the capacity plate that is usually next to the driver is missing. I emailed mastercraft and they told me it could hold 9 persons or 1440 lbs. Can someone who has a 1991 prostar verify this and send me a picture of theirs so I can keep a copy in my boat. I believe Utah law requires that the boat has a capacity plate. I am hopeful that a copy of one will be enough.

This site and all your discussions have been a big help. Thank you!

stars79stripes
10-12-2007, 12:32 AM
I would order a new plate if you can. If I were the (your state's version of the water patrol) and you handed me a picture of a capacity plate, it would motivate me to do the most thorough search/inspection I could. Expect to hear things like:
That's not a marine fuel filter
Did you include the weight of this cooler in your calculations?
Even though a ski mirror could be used as a daytime signaling device, where are your flares?

I may be overstating this, but where I ski I am up against three enforcement agencies (local DNR, local MPD and Coast Guard) and they all have their primary focus. Give any one of them an inch and you are done.

I actually like the stringent conditions I have to operate in - I like to ensure the safety of my guests so it makes me think twice about things before I launch - and I know my ship is tight so even if the enforcement boys are around, they will focus on the more audacious boaters.

It's all in the details.

Mike

bigmac
10-12-2007, 01:05 AM
I guess it may vary state-to-state but usually the registration sticker has the capacity listed, or the title does.

It doesn't have to be a mfgr's capacity plate -- you can make you own.

ogrover3
10-12-2007, 07:08 AM
i also have a 91 prostar 190 and it does say 9 people also i dont know why it kinda seems high to me but it does say 9. i would send you a picture but the plate is so worn out and faded that the picture would not show you what you need sorry.

bigmac
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
The USCG requires that only powered boats less than 20 feet long have to have a capacity plate, but it's not a violation of USCG rules (federal) to exceed those listed capacities. It is a violation to load or power a boat in an unsafe manner, so there is obviously some interpretation by individual enforcement agents that goes on. Most states follow federal law on capacity plates.

Prostar 19 does have to have capacity plate according to federal law (and Utah law), since it's less than 20 feet long (isn't it?). If mine were missing, I'd just make a new one using the USCG's Safe Loading Formula and post it within site of the helm, as they require. AFAIK, there isn't any requirement that the capacity plate be from the manufacturer, only that there is one displayed (if less than 20 feet) and that it adhere to that formula. If your state requires an "official" capacity plate, they will almost certainly have a application form for that - check with your DNR.

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 10:51 AM
i also have a 91 prostar 190 and it does say 9 people also i dont know why it kinda seems high to me but it does say 9. i would send you a picture but the plate is so worn out and faded that the picture would not show you what you need sorry.

My 93 205 only said 10 persons. 9 Seems high for a 190. Even with four in the back seat, 3 in the observer's seat and one in the driver's seat, that's still only 8. I guess one honey laying across the motorbox is a given.

Chicago190
10-12-2007, 12:47 PM
My 93 205 only said 10 persons. 9 Seems high for a 190. Even with four in the back seat, 3 in the observer's seat and one in the driver's seat, that's still only 8. I guess one honey laying across the motorbox is a given.

96 PS 190 capacity is listed as 9 as well. Interesting because the current 190/197 is listed at 7 for both boats.

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
The 197 used to have a higher capacity listed, but it was changed around 2003 to seven.

wakolman
10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
The 197 used to have a higher capacity listed, but it was changed around 2003 to seven.
Our 2005 197 is six people or 900 lbs.:confused:

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I think the realistic max on that boat ought to be 8. That is, 3 in back, driver, two observers and two in the bow.

Jayc
10-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Never understood capacity plates. My 190 says 8 people yet my 23ft long 8 1/2ft beam open bow maxum also states 8 people, go figure!

WTRSK1R
10-15-2007, 08:09 PM
There is not one that goes back to 1991, but Mastercraft of Charlotte has a 1999 PS 190 Capacity plate decal listed on their website for $1.09. Give Mike a call and see if it also for 9 people and if so, it would at least be a MC factory sticker even if it is for the wrong year.

http://mymastercraft.com/product_details.cfm?ITEM_ID=17931&product=759024&product_type=Decals&company=MasterCraft&sub_product=Decals

skiwit
10-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he says.
Thanks!

88 PS190
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Capacity plates are actually misleading.

The number is not in anyway related to safe handling, comfort of use etc. etc. But rather what the boat is rated for after it swamps for keeping people at the surface.

This is the reason that water ballast does not add into equation and that you can operate a boat rated for 1800 lbs or whatever with 2000 pounds of water ballast. But if you used 2000 lbs of lead you would be overloading hte boat, because when swamped that lead still pulls the boat down. Your water ballast bags would be neutral once they were submerged.