PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a cable company

TheOneandOnly
10-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I am looking to start a custom cable company, I have been in the electronics industry & cable industry for 7 yrs and am looking to start working for myself. I have a few questions.

1. What does one have to get to start doing business (i.e business license, etc)? Where is the best place to go to get it.
2. Where is the best/cheapest place to get a website made? If anyone knows how to do it and can do it cheaply for me I'd appreciate it.

Also if there's anyone here that owns a company and gets custom cables built and would like to help a small business, I'd be happy to quote and/or get your business.
Thanks

bobx1
10-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I am sure there are a lot of resources for small businesses in your state but here is a farily good step by step guide from the SBA.

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/index.html

Good luck!

Leroy
10-11-2007, 07:08 PM
OK, this is stretching this site for info!

It really depends on what business, telephony, data, video, wireless, etc there may be FCC reporting, licenses, local government approval, and other requirements.

Contact the SCTE and NCTA organizations.

Then there are the questions as to what kind of business. LLP, private, public, etc.

You need a lawyer with knowledge in the segment of cable you are going to enter.

JimN
10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
What would the cables be used for? Instruments, audio, video, computer?

Do a patent search if you want to do anything that you think is new. Here's a link:www.freepatentsonline.com/search.html

I hope you have a big development budget and deep pockets for getting the attention of people in the businesses you plan to target.

Find out all of the other companies selling cables for the particular industries, who makes them, who sells them at the retail/installation end and who likes to use what. As an example, if someone came to me with Audio Quest crimpless cables, I would tell them to leave. Same with Monster Cable. Liberty, Planet Waves, Genesis, Belden/West Penn, some of the Skywalker stuff is OK and companies like those, I would talk to.

Learn IEEE specs for any cabling you might want to make/sell. The reason I said 'make/sell' is that Monster Cable and most of the others don't make their own, they have them made to their spec, usually in China.

S.C.O.R.E. (Service Corp of Retired Executives) is another resource for small/startup businesses. Ben & Jerry met with some of their people in the beginning, when they were having problems meeting payroll during winter.

Go to Cedia, CES and EXH conventions and see what you'll be up against if the consumer market is your target.

Good luck- there's a lot of crappy cables out there. Maybe you can carve a niche for yourself. Hang on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

TheOneandOnly
10-11-2007, 07:38 PM
JIM- im looking to basically start an assembly house for all types of IP67,weatherpack, deutch, sorioru, M12, potted cables etc, for automotive, marine, industrial use etc. Can accept autocad/pdf dwgs

Currently I design cable dwgs in autocad at my current job for sensors, motors, power cables, interface cables, ex. specific to a custom device.

Im only looking to build custom cables that are non-china related. Thus targeting small local companies for now, maybe larger as I see how it goes, but see that their is a relative large demand for smaller quantities (i.e. 50-500)

Good info Bobx1- Ill be reviewing all that helpful stuff on that site