PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying 03-06 X's

2000XPSD
10-11-2007, 05:23 PM
new on the board here and had a question...
i've been looking at boats for a while and am really after it now to buy since this is a pretty good time of year to do so (from a buyers perspective). i've pretty much narrowed my choices down to a MC X-(?). I saw a 07 x-2 and fell in love with it...but there is no way i can spend 60k+ on a boat, it's insane. After looking around some more i decided to cap myself at 35k because the stuff i was looking at was just getting way to out of control $ wise. Looking at used mc's i looks like i can get a 03-05 x in that price range. the problem is i can't figure out the differences between the models as far as the x7,x10,prox or whatever number they came up with. On some of the motors too i see it says efi and then you look a the picture and it has what looks like a throttle body injection...then i find the same year boat and it has tuned port(the red powder coated plenum)...what give with that.
Basically i'm looking for a wakeboat with a vdrive...we don't ski alot mostly wake and surf. What's closest to that 07 x2 i saw in the 35k range? Things to look out for in those year/models?
any help is appreciated.

Chicago190
10-11-2007, 07:40 PM
All Mastercrafts were fuel injected in the years you are looking for (94 was the first year for all models). I'm not sure what year the engines stopped being TBI, but that is still considered fuel injection and is very good. The differences you are seeing are the different engines that were used.

Mikey
10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
IMO If you have to have an "X-Boat" that is V-Drive with a price limit of 35k and used primarily for wakeboarding/surfing you should probably be looking for a 99-02 X-Star or a 03-04 X-2. They are both the same boat just different names, graphics, and a few different options. If you look in the FAQ section you will find an article that gives the history of these boats. They are both based off of the ProStar 205V platform. Good luck in your search.

There are several of these boats for sale in the marketplace on this website. ;)

Jerseydave
10-11-2007, 09:39 PM
2000XPSD,

Welcome! You have many choices in your price range. Glad you're looking at MC's, great boats (I'm on my third).

Like Mikey said, the first generation X-star (same as X-2) has a great wake for wakeboarding. My friend has an '06 X-1 (again same hull) and we all love that wake. I even barefoot behind it!

Another option if you need more interior space is the X-10 (21 feet). For even more space, the X-30 (23 feet). Just keep in mind the larger you go, the less nimble the boat will be plus will need more extra ballast to make the wake bigger.

There should be some nice deals out there right now, since it's the end of the season. Check the marketplace on here and also on wakeworld.

BTW, where are you in the northeast? I'm in NJ.

-Dave

Mikey
10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Another option if you need more interior space is the X-10 (21 feet). For even more space, the X-30 (23 feet). Just keep in mind the larger you go, the less nimble the boat will be plus will need more extra ballast to make the wake bigger.

-Dave

I think it would probably be hard to find an X-10 or X-30 in good shape for under 35K.

Jerseydave
10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
BTW, The 310 hp engine is okay for the X-star (X-2), but a better choice is the MCX 350 hp (red engine). Get the MCX on anything bigger than that boat.

"vision" has a nice 2005 X-2 for sale in the marketplace for $35,000 with the MCX.

JohnE
10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I don't have anything to add, I'd just agree with everyone else.
the best deal for what you are lookng for lies in the original 205 hull. And possibly try to clarify: The prostar 205V is the same hull as the original x-star, the 03 - 04 X2, and today's X1. I'm far from an expert, but am basically just reiterating what has already been posted. I'm just beginning to understand the different models/ years myself and hope this might help.

Jerseydave
10-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I think it would probably be hard to find an X-10 or X-30 in good shape for under 35K.

Very true, just throwing it out there. For under $35K, the X-2 is the best deal going. Even has a decent slalom wake for recreational use.

JohnE
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Very true, just throwing it out there. For under $35K, the X-2 is the best deal going. Even has a decent slalom wake for recreational use.\\

Assumng you mean the older 205 based X2, I remember talking to someone who said he would regularly run 35 off on the 205V.

2000XPSD
10-11-2007, 11:12 PM
thanks guys...i sure i will get it with a little more studying. I was thinking on the lines of the x-2...i like the size, i don't need anything bigger than 21'.
so if the todays x-1 is yesterdays x-2 then what is todays x-2 yesterday?
i saw that 07 x-2 and thought it was the sh*t and would like to get something on those lines.
i doubt i will get my wish with the engine but i was never a big tbi fan...i'd rather have tpi anyday. I imagine the earlier models didn't offer tpi and it came in around 04 from the looks of it?

i'll read the faq and try and study somemore---thanks for the help

2000XPSD
10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
BTW, The 310 hp engine is okay for the X-star (X-2), but a better choice is the MCX 350 hp (red engine). Get the MCX on anything bigger than that boat.

"vision" has a nice 2005 X-2 for sale in the marketplace for $35,000 with the MCX.

yeah i saw that...think 500hrs is a lot, that was the only thing i questioned. I was seriously considering inquiring about that one. Not to crazy about the color but you can't have everything when looking for a used boat i guess

Mikey
10-12-2007, 12:05 AM
2000XPSD, You sound like you are a little too picky to be shopping for a used boat.

IMO 500 hrs is not too much. There is still alot of life left in that motor.

cyprus
10-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I bought a 2004 x-2 for around 33k last year. It had around 400 hours on it. It did not have a perfect pass but I asked the dealer to install one along with a perko flush kit. The engine is an MCX and is incredible. I am very happy with the boat and recommend this model. Excellent size boat -- can fit into a garage easily, handles great and can still hold quite a bit of equipment and friends. Good luck and do not rush.;)

Jerseydave
10-12-2007, 08:42 AM
thanks guys...i sure i will get it with a little more studying. I was thinking on the lines of the x-2...i like the size, i don't need anything bigger than 21'.
so if the todays x-1 is yesterdays x-2 then what is todays x-2 yesterday?
i saw that 07 x-2 and thought it was the sh*t and would like to get something on those lines.
i doubt i will get my wish with the engine but i was never a big tbi fan...i'd rather have tpi anyday. I imagine the earlier models didn't offer tpi and it came in around 04 from the looks of it?

2006 or 2007 was the first year of the X-2 with the superfly (picklefork) bow, you won't find any boat that even looks like that prior to 2007. Expect to pay around $55K for one of those.

They started using EFI back in 1994. The MCX has EFI which will give you better throttle response than throttle body injection, so that would be my choice if I were buying. The 310 engine in a FULLY loaded X-2 will do the job, only not as well. Throttle-by-wire is nice, I think all MCX's have that starting in 2005.

76S&S
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
I've even seen a couple of 06 x-1's lately in the mid $30's. Again same hull as the early x-star and 03 - 05 x2.

KnoxX2
10-12-2007, 09:23 AM
What about that 2006 X2 that is white. Willy something has been trying to sell. I think he was in the $40s That is a deal for a 2006 X2.

Found It!
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1709&cat=6

2000XPSD
10-12-2007, 10:42 AM
you can say i might be a little picky for a used boat but to me parting with 35k on a toy is a big deal, on a toy that i will only get to use 4 or 5 months out of a year to boot. I don't want to jump into something that i'm not 100% happy with, that would be stupid. if i lived in the south i would dump whatever it cost on a brand new x-2...but i don't so i have to be sensible with what i spend and on what. it sucks for me too because i have one of those "i gotta have the best of the best" personalities.
--------
yeah i don't expect to get a 06-07 x-2 in my price range...if i did come across a nice one in the low 40's i might ante up tho...
---------
i haven't seen any 06 x-1's in the 30's...i'll have to check those out tho if that is true
----------
yeah i saw that white x2 a while ago...that is a good deal ... i hate to put down a nice boat but that all white look just isn't me...i'd take that boat for 40. i saw he got bids in the mid 40s on ebay a while ago. that thing is worth 50k easy, someone is goin gto get a nice deal

---------

76S&S
10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Here are a couple for your reference. I have an earlier version 02 X-Star and really like the wake and layout of the boat.

Good luck in your search.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1703&cat=6
http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1655&cat=6

Also check out www.onlyinboards.com

Mikey
10-12-2007, 12:48 PM
you can say i might be a little picky for a used boat but to me parting with 35k on a toy is a big deal, on a toy that i will only get to use 4 or 5 months out of a year to boot. I don't want to jump into something that i'm not 100% happy with, that would be stupid. if i lived in the south i would dump whatever it cost on a brand new x-2...but i don't so i have to be sensible with what i spend and on what. it sucks for me too because i have one of those "i gotta have the best of the best" personalities

I agree 100% that 35k for a toy is a big deal (probably more than I would ever spend on a boat) but my point is that if you want a Mastercraft for 35k you dont have the luxury of being able to pick your options, upgrades, colors, graphics, etc. If you want to be able to design your own boat for 35k you might want to go with a Sea Ray or something like that. But then you wont get the quality that you will get with a Mastercraft.

chevy08bud
10-12-2007, 01:10 PM
some of the earlier x-stars have the LT-1 engine in them and are TPI. I have that engine in my 94 205 and it has plenty of power even when I have a bunch of people on my boat.

76S&S
10-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree 100% that 35k for a toy is a big deal (probably more than I would ever spend on a boat) but my point is that if you want a Mastercraft for 35k you dont have the luxury of being able to pick your options, upgrades, colors, graphics, etc. If you want to be able to design your own boat for 35k you might want to go with a Sea Ray or something like that. But then you wont get the quality that you will get with a Mastercraft.

I agree that 35k for a toy is a big deal for most people, me included.

But, it you are willing to be patient and shop for what you want, you will find it. I was able to find the exact color with more options that I had to have within my budget. You may not find it tomorrow, but if your patient you can find exactly what you want.

Mikey
10-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I agree that 35k for a toy is a big deal for most people, me included.

But, it you are willing to be patient and shop for what you want, you will find it. I was able to find the exact color with more options that I had to have within my budget. You may not find it tomorrow, but if your patient you can find exactly what you want.

Yes you are correct but, he is looking for something that is an 03-06. Im just saying there are not many 03-06 X-2, X-1's under 35k out there. So if he were to find an 03-06 in his price range it might be best to accept that it is not exactly the color he wants and enjoy the fact that it is a fairly new Mastercraft for very good price. Or just raise the spending limit a little and then there might be a few more out there and then be a little more picky. This is just my opinion.

2000XPSD
10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Yes you are correct but, he is looking for something that is an 03-06. Im just saying there are not many 03-06 X-2, X-1's under 35k out there. So if he were to find an 03-06 in his price range it might be best to accept that it is not exactly the color he wants and enjoy the fact that it is a fairly new Mastercraft for very good price. Or just raise the spending limit a little and then there might be a few more out there and then be a little more picky. This is just my opinion.

i hear you mikey and know what you're saying. I'm willing to bend on a few things in my search for a boat. However of course to a point with the color...i don't want a plaid boat or some other fruitcake color scheme. I'll consider anything tho as long as it's a vdrive. I'll move a little too if i find a real smokin deal...i just had to try and focus on a what i thought would be a fair $ amount. You are right tho there are not a lot out there in that range. With the way the economy is and for this time of year i thought people would be giving stuff away...but i guess not

and thanks 76s&s i'll check out those layouts. I've been cruising onlyinboards for a while now too...great site

Jerseydave
10-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Check the classified on wakeworld.com too. They sometimes have some good deals. If you have time, tell some MC dealers to keep an eye out for what you're looking for and maybe something will get traded in this fall/winter. Besides your local dealer (I still don't know where you're from), try these guys:

Jim @ Bay Area Watersports (Florida)
Mike @ Mastercraft of Charlotte
Eric @ Mastercraft of Chicago

Mikey
10-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Here is a nice one for you.:D I sure wish I was in the market for a boat I would snatch this one up. :rolleyes:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19610

swatguy
10-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree with pretty much most. Boat you should be looking for i 00-2002 X-star 03 Xseries 04-05 X-2, 06-07 X-1. Not to mention that a 205V in those early years is the same exact boat/hull and engine just doesn't have ballast otions from the dealer and a different graphics package. On the flipside though most used 205v's owners have plumbed in ballast.

I think you ar going to be hard pressed to find 05-06 around 35k unless it's pretty stripped with just stock options. More likely looking 2002-03. Not much has changed to this model except some different vinyl, towers and some performance things like throttle by wire and MC cruise. MCX now vs LTR. The regular engine pushes this boat fine always has, but you just get better resale and a touch more umfff from the LTR or MCX. As well as Northstar ignition.

500hrs isn't that much on a 03. Average joe puts on 100hrs yr in a good year. Average joe, but also depend on where the boat is located...100hrs is a midwest season change area number IMO. 700 wouldn't even be that much. Boats run forever when proper maintainance is done.

Good luck in your search, price range you're in is dead on for a solid boat. If you see one you like don't hesitate as these particular boats are THE HOTTEST IN THE MARKET and disappear fast when they are taken care of.

JohnE
10-13-2007, 08:18 AM
2000, I think you have a good handle on your choices. Go with the early Xstar/ X2 in your price range, or spend a bit more for a newer X2. Either way you can't go wrong. I can not believe how much room there is in the new X2. Either boat is a good choice. I wouldn't get too hung up on the hours. I actually think the hourmeter is overrated. A couple hundred hours makes no difference in the condition of the boat. Although it probably affects resale. The engines will last almost forever with proper care. Good luck with the search.

zxmarc
10-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I found a new 2006 x-1 for 39,900, went to see it and got a new 2006 x-15 for 48,500... the x-1 is blue with 310 horse.

let me know if you want more info

2000XPSD
10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I found a new 2006 x-1 for 39,900, went to see it and got a new 2006 x-15 for 48,500... the x-1 is blue with 310 horse.

let me know if you want more info

yeah send me a link or something i'll check it out...it's not in canada i hope tho

that's a sweet deal on a x15 tho...good for you, nice boat

kal_dude
10-18-2007, 12:13 AM
i bought an 02 X-star in Aug. and its the most kick *** boat for that kind of money!! get the fly high X-series fat sacs (1000 lb. bow, and 400 lb. rear, fill the rear ones approx. half way and the front one all the way) with the stock ballast full, and you will have a wake that is perfect for anyone less than "pro"!!!

beatle78
10-19-2007, 02:13 PM
2000XPSD,

I have a 2001 Prostar 205V same as the X-1, (older X-2, and older X-star)

This is the first full season we've ridden behind it. We LOVE IT! Handles awesome, plenty of room, and add some ballast and the wake is HUGE!!!

Where is the northeast are you? I'm in RI and my boat is still in the water. You can wet test my boat if you would like. The only catch is you have to drive for ~30 minutes while I ride behind it :D

WESSTAR
10-19-2007, 11:27 PM
That sounds like a good deal go ride behind the kinda boat you are looking for. I had to go to a wakebaord camp to really ride behind an MC before we bought ours.

mccobmd
10-20-2007, 12:11 AM
I was looking for similar deal at the beginning of this season. Found and 06 X1 for 42000 that was not fully loaded but had everything I wanted. It's a great all around boat. I got the 310 HP and have pulled up 3 slalom skiers. It also has great layout. I specifically found the all white and have loved it. I would recommend the 06 x1 without reservation. I directly compared it to an 03 Xstar with 380 hours that was 32000 dollars and felt like the trade off was worth it because I'll keep it for a very long time.

jaysus
10-24-2007, 02:30 PM
This one just became available.

http://www.nefwm.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=50006&CatDesc=&pov=502323#detail

Absolutely, without a doubt, the cleanest boat pre-owned boat I have ever seen. Being a MC dealer, that's a high standard, since so many owners keep their boats unbelievably clean.

east tx skier
10-24-2007, 02:57 PM

2005 was the first year that MPI was standard across the boards. But MC has offered an MPI engine since the LT-1 in 1993. In 1994, the base engine was a TBI chevy 350. That engine was 275 hp until 1998. In 1998, the engine sported vortec heads among other things and hp bumped to 308 hp. It was 310 hp in 1999 and remained so until the last year it was offered, 2004. My father-in-law has the 308 hp Vortec TBI in his 205 (direct drive version of the hull you're considering) and it is a great engine with loads of torque. It may be underpowered for a wakeboard boat with loads of ballast, but for slalom, it does everything we've wanted it to do and has been trouble free.