PDA

View Full Version : v-drive engine cover conversion

rektek
10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
anyone successfully converted a 1 piece v-drive engine cover to a 3 door ? I beleive in 2001 MC changed to the 3 door design.

the 1 piece design with the electric ram is really a pain in the arse, almost enough to sell the boat and buy something else.

endl
10-11-2007, 05:11 PM
anyone successfully converted a 1 piece v-drive engine cover to a 3 door ? I beleive in 2001 MC changed to the 3 door design.

the 1 piece design with the electric ram is really a pain in the arse, almost enough to sell the boat and buy something else.
Another Mastercraft of Course............??.......

I am sure you could use the engine dividers and secure some kind of latch system.

Whats wrong witht he electric hatch? I never had any problems with mine.

Bruce
10-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Same question as end. What's the problem? I love mine.

dummy
10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Waking the dead on this post, but I had the same thoughts for my '00 MariStar. For me the problem isn't so much with the 1-piece hatch as it is the 1-piece hatch and little kids. Getting to the shoes, sand toys, etc is a constant and ongoing process. And it never fails that as soon as you lift it, grab what you wanted, close it up somebody else asks for something they forgot to grab while it was open. Plus my 2-year old is always messing with the switch - usually when somebody is on the sun deck. With a 3-piece it'd be feasable to disconnect the switch unless you needed to get at the engine. And as for getting wakeboards and big stuff out it's a little troublesome because the 1-piece hatch is partially hanging over the rear of the storage. I've got to really angle my Hyperlite 142 board just right to snake it out.

I don't think I'd ever have the marbles to take the factory 1-piece honeycomb aluminum cover to the bandsaw, but if I ever find a comparable material at a decent price I'll give making my own 3-piece setup a shot.

sully
10-22-2008, 01:38 AM
The only problem I had on ours was on windy days you would lift the hatch and sure enough a big gust of wind would blow sand into the engine bay.:mad:

jbanczak
03-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Looks like I am raising the dead on this one. I have a bunch of reasons I want to replace it...

1) the actuator rubs/pinches the ballast bags and eventually will puncture it
2) it is slowwwwww
3) needs power - if your battery dies, you are screwed. Of if you leave your keys in your house, just want to pop-it-up, etc.
4) who wants to expose the engine every time they need to get a life jacket?

Has anyone just gotten rid of the electric actuator and put another gas spring on the other side to allow for it manually?

kycat2007
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I can tell you that the older models like the 97 Maristar had issues when they had the one piece sun deck and no ram. The latch would not hold and you could imagine what happened if the wind got under it while in tow. I figured the ram was a good idea.

flipper
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM

I know nothing about your question, but i sure like your avatar:D

Gamble
03-23-2009, 03:13 PM
I know nothing about your question, but i sure like your avatar:D

ditto!!!!!

jbanczak
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Completed the project of removing the electronic actuator on our 230 VRS and replacing it with a manual latch. We had it done at the marina since I ran out of time, but it was only an hour or two of labor and parts - whole thing cost $240. It would have been a very easy project compared to some of the others I've done.

We put a Southco latch on it, right next to the opening for the small ski pylon. You can see it here:
http://www.hardwarespecialty.com/Southco/product.aspx?cid=7403&pid=18133.

A small loop of black webbing extends upward between the seatback and the hatch lid, you simply pull it to release, then lift up slightly. Added another gas spring on the other side to give it more lift and to balance it out - and it works very well. Seems to be very secure and it goes up and down pretty much effortlessly. Nice to not have to monkey with the switch, turn the boat on every time, and wait while it opens and closes so slowly. Also helps that the actuator is not pinching and rubbing on the ballast bag back there.

dpolen
06-16-2009, 04:53 PM
I would love to see some pictures if you get an opportunity to do so, betting I'm not the only one thinking this.

jbanczak
06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Sure - took some today. Sorry about the quality, it was on my phone, but you get the idea. Really like it a lot.

dpolen
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
That looks really cool...I'm going to ask a potentially tough question...is it possible that the strap could get stuck underneath the engine cover? That would be my biggest fear going to this setup, but I think it's absolutely awesome. :-)

FrankSchwab
06-18-2009, 01:36 AM
I think I see next winter's Boat project...

I've been trying to figure out how to do this easily for a couple of years now; your solution seems to have gotten there. Congratulations, and thanks.

/frank

jbanczak
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM
That looks really cool...I'm going to ask a potentially tough question...is it possible that the strap could get stuck underneath the engine cover? That would be my biggest fear going to this setup, but I think it's absolutely awesome. :-)

Ha - I've thought about that a million times! Still worry... But I don't think it is likely - definitely possible - but not likely.

The strap itself is actually screwed onto the bottom of the cover so that it has to protrude off the side. Being that it is webbing and somewhat stiff, it sticks out just past the side of the cushion and it is almost impossible for it not to go up between the cushions. I think the install on it is key though - it has to be anchored right next to the edge of the cushion.

I'd say it is less risky than a bad actuator, but not risk-free.

ben.fider@gmail.com
06-18-2009, 05:18 PM
sweet. any details on the gas spring you added?

i, too, have removed the actuator for the same reasons. i currently prop the cover up with a broomball stick.

i have a single gas spring that does not come close to holding the lid up. i want to add another one, or replace the one with two.

where did you get yours? i see these at overtons:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32023&pdesc=Spring_Lift_Gas_Spring_20_Extended_Length_12 _Compressed_Length_60_lbs_Pressure&str=gas%20spring&merchID=1008&r=view

jbanczak
06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
sweet. any details on the gas spring you added?

i, too, have removed the actuator for the same reasons. i currently prop the cover up with a broomball stick.

i have a single gas spring that does not come close to holding the lid up. i want to add another one, or replace the one with two.

where did you get yours? i see these at overtons:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=32023&pdesc=Spring_Lift_Gas_Spring_20_Extended_Length_12 _Compressed_Length_60_lbs_Pressure&str=gas%20spring&merchID=1008&r=view

I tried using just one higher pressure spring, no actuator. It worked for a while... but then what started happening was that the higher pressure spring was literally bending the hinge on the cover.

I actually purchased two springs - now I am going off memory, but I think the stock spring was 20lbs, and I got a 30 and a 40. Just about any brand will work - but I ordered the stock part. You can see the manufacturer right on it and easily find them for sale searching on Google, they were quite a bit cheaper than what you are linking to.

So - you need to have two in order to balance it out. Two thirties seem to work fine so it lifts easily, there is no twist. However, I think a latch is a must - or if you hit a piece of chop and the hatch flies up, you are likely to have it fly open and tear off depending on your speed.

I tried to find a latch with a T-handle like you see on more modern boats, but couldn't find anything that would fit through such a thick cover as the Maristar has. Didn't want to start cutting it down - so went with this one.

TMCNo1
06-18-2009, 08:08 PM
I tried using just one higher pressure spring, no actuator. It worked for a while... but then what started happening was that the higher pressure spring was literally bending the hinge on the cover.

I actually purchased two springs - now I am going off memory, but I think the stock spring was 20lbs, and I got a 30 and a 40. Just about any brand will work - but I ordered the stock part. You can see the manufacturer right on it and easily find them for sale searching on Google, they were quite a bit cheaper than what you are linking to.

So - you need to have two in order to balance it out. Two thirties seem to work fine so it lifts easily, there is no twist. However, I think a latch is a must - or if you hit a piece of chop and the hatch flies up, you are likely to have it fly open and tear off depending on your speed.

I tried to find a latch with a T-handle like you see on more modern boats, but couldn't find anything that would fit through such a thick cover as the Maristar has. Didn't want to start cutting it down - so went with this one.

Here is some options,
http://www.marksrv.com/hdw_gas_spring.htm
and
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/gas-springs0

mdskier
06-18-2009, 10:26 PM
That's very cool.

I just went through the effort of replacing the aluminum wafer panel with plywood as the aluminum separated from the hinges and was basically falling apart. The original owner had the power actuator fail and had to pry the cover open.

The completed sun deck cover made of plywood turned out to be about 40lbs heavier than the original aluminum version so I am not sure I want to do a away with the actuator, but I am intrigued by your solution.

jdhunt0
08-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction rektek.

jdhunt0
08-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Sure - took some today. Sorry about the quality, it was on my phone, but you get the idea. Really like it a lot.

What type of screws did you use to mount the latch to the AL honeycomb? Do you tow your boat? Ever had a situation where the cover came up while moving?

MariStar-Man
08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I really like the actuator on my 1999 V-210

Yes its Slow, but i rarely need to open it all the way.

It looks cool opening slowly to reveal the Engine.

Actually a security area due to needing the Key to open...

I would like to design a pulley system that would allow one to pull the release pin at the top of the Actuator, in case of failure.

I would like to take apart a spare actuator If anyone want to donate one, in case there might be an easy repair for failure...

jdhunt0
08-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Some like it, some don't. I myself need to get rid of it in order to fit my ballast in the rear compartment.