PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Recovery HELP!!

Tourney Team 197
10-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Anyone here ever had an inguinal hernia repaired? I had the sucker for about a year before I got it fixed. Just had the surgery on Monday and there is a fair amount of pain. Just wondering how long this will last.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Anyone here ever had an inguinal hernia repaired? I had the sucker for about a year before I got it fixed. Just had the surgery on Monday and there is a fair amount of pain. Just wondering how long this will last.
All depends on how much booze your willing to drink.

bigmac
10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Hurts like a bugger, I know. Max pain is usually 48-72 hours post op, then begins to subside. Recovery rate depends on things like, what type of hernia it was, what type of repair was done, whether it was done under local anesthesia, general, or spinal, and whether or not a local anesthetic infusion pump was left in for the first 48 hours. Are you black and blue? Much swelling?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Hurts like a bugger, I know. Max pain is usually 48-72 hours post op, then begins to subside. Recovery rate depends on things like, what type of hernia it was, what type of repair was done, whether it was done under local anesthesia, general, or spinal, and whether or not a local anesthetic infusion pump was left in for the first 48 hours. Are you black and blue? Much swelling?
Ooops! :o I see the real doctor showed up with actual real advice.

I guess you can take my advice as a suggestion now. 8p ;)

bigmac
10-11-2007, 04:42 PM

UMP, this is the Internet. You don't know for sure than I'm a real doctor...;)

G-man
10-11-2007, 04:51 PM

weren't you at the Holiday Inn Express, you could be

fintek9
10-11-2007, 04:53 PM
UMP, this is the Internet. You don't know for sure than I'm a real doctor...;)Well you could of fooled me, I would of left you a check with no questions asked!

TMCNo1
10-11-2007, 05:37 PM

Not many people around here with a talking lizard that requires surgery!:D

M-Funf
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM

But I believe I do ;) Either that, or you just like to hang out a Surgeon's conventions8p

TMCNo1
10-11-2007, 05:39 PM

I thought you worked at Jiffy Lube, cause you know so much about oil and stuff!:uglyhamme

tex
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
All depends on how much booze your willing to drink.
Don't forget the vikes!

tex
10-12-2007, 09:37 AM

I've been known to play doctor, does that count?

Tourney Team 197
10-12-2007, 06:15 PM

It was a right inguinal hernia. They made a 3 inch incision and placed some mesh at the point of the hernia. The gave me local anesthesia which was not bad at all. They also gave me oxycodiene for pain. Anyone here ever had this (for pain-related purposes...UMP!)? This stuff made me pretty sick. I'm off that now and back to booze and Advil. The pain has subsided and I'm walking better now. There is some redness around the incision with a little swelling. I hope this is normal.

cbryan70
10-12-2007, 06:25 PM
oxy is basically the closest thing to morphine and or herion that you can get. If it was making you sick with a whole pill maybe try a half or even smaller chunk of it and perhapes that wont be to much for your body to handle.

bigmac
10-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Assuming you mean oxycodone, that's Percocet or whatever generic equivalent your pharmacy happens to stock. It can cause nausea in some people. Best to be off that stuff in favor of ibuprofen if it's making you nauseated.

trickskier
10-13-2007, 01:10 AM
I had hernia surgery last December...............I skipped the pain pills and drank Cutty instead............Like bigmac said the pain should go away within 72 hours...........You will be moving slowly for about 2 weeks....................;)

tex
10-13-2007, 02:23 PM
It was a right inguinal hernia. They made a 3 inch incision and placed some mesh at the point of the hernia. The gave me local anesthesia which was not bad at all. They also gave me oxycodiene for pain. Anyone here ever had this (for pain-related purposes...UMP!)? This stuff made me pretty sick. I'm off that now and back to booze and Advil. The pain has subsided and I'm walking better now. There is some redness around the incision with a little swelling. I hope this is normal.
I'll take those off your hands. I don't want you getting any sicker. I'm just that kind of guy!

uawaterskier
10-14-2007, 02:21 AM
I'll take those off your hands. I don't want you getting any sicker. I'm just that kind of guy!
easy killer...I lost a classmate in highschool to those things

tex
10-14-2007, 11:57 AM
That's tough.

bigmac
10-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Are we talking Percocet for recreation?

Maristar210
10-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Hell if I know. I've seen what happens to those that get hooked on vicoden (sp?) It is not a laughing matter for me at least.

tex
10-14-2007, 12:40 PM
There are tons of addictions out there, coke, crack, pills, booze, sex, etc.. with a lot of horror stories. I worked for 11 years with people who have had issues in these areas. I personally choose humor as a way of not loosing my mind over those issues. Some people don't choose humor. To each their own.

Maristar210
10-14-2007, 01:00 PM
There are tons of addictions out there, coke, crack, pills, booze, sex, etc.. with a lot of horror stories. I worked for 11 years with people who have had issues in these areas. I personally choose humor as a way of not loosing my mind over those issues. Some people don't choose humor. To each their own.

I meant no offense to you Tex. I understand your point. Lets have a cold one, it's almost noon here :D

tex
10-14-2007, 01:16 PM
I meant no offense to you Tex. I understand your point. Lets have a cold one, it's almost noon here :D
What's noon got to do with anything? No offense taken...I do like to state my position. I'm headed to the fridge!

jimmer2880
10-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Yep, I've had 4. The last one was when I was 12 though.

From what I hear from other family members (seems to have some sort of genetic'ism), the older you are, the longer the recovery.

It took me the better part of a week before I was walking without pain. A bag of pees was my best friend. I also found that walking as soon as I woke up (they put me under for all of mine), the quicker the recovery. Walk as much as possible. That will keep the other muscles from tightening up.

As far as the Oxycodone, try eating something first, then take the pill. It will make a difference on how much it works and how sick it makes you.

Monte
10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Leah on as Monte...
Inguinal hernia repairs happen to be one of our specialties!!! Now that you are up and moving...you've probably gotten over the worst part, if you don't like the pills, I always tell our patients to use ice packs/bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel to the incision site...not only helps with pain but also with swelling. Redness is typical, esp if you have exposed suture or staples. Watch out from redness that spreads, colored drainage that is thick and opaque and not just clear-blood tinged. Make sure your uh.."fellas" remain the same color...and don't be surprised if the right "fella" swells some...Prayers to you for a quick recovery and remember....NO HEAVY LIFTING UNTIL CLEARED BY YOUR DOC!!!!!!!

Monte
10-15-2007, 10:51 PM
PS Did you need specific help? Call your Doc if you have any problems!