PDA

View Full Version : The Official FLU SHOT thread and poll.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Being a man of science, I have ask how many people here get FLU shots? Talk to me peeps!

Please discuss all aspects of Flu shots at will here. :)

east tx skier
10-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Never bothered with it.

10-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Never bothered with it.
Vote baby, VOTE!!!:)

Maristar210
10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I run alcohol through my system regularly to kill off any unwanted bacteria....

no flu shot for me......

dmayer84
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Get it for free from work.

fintek9
10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
NOT I, A friend gets them every year then misses a trip up north cause he comes down sick!! HHMMMMMmmm
My kids get them and it's a 50/50 if they get sick or not!!HHMMMMMmm

betsy&david Harrison
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I got mine on Monday!!!

wakolman
10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
You are healthier without a flu shot!

betsy&david Harrison
10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Well, some of us have certain health issues that demand us to get the shot because if we don't and we get sick with something respiratory related, it could mean a hospital stay. So, guess what....I'd rather be safe than sorry cuz I fit into this category.

TMCNo1
10-11-2007, 04:29 PM
I get my annual flu shot next Wednesday @ 8:30, cause the flu is another thing I don't want to have to deal with.
Lynn has already got hers!

M-Funf
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't get one. I only work with 4 other people, and drink enough Gin to kill most anything...It's like antibiotics. Take enough to kill the bugs but not the person :rolleyes:

Leroy
10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I get mine 10/26. Second year to get it. ~7 years without a cold now, knock on wood.

Bruce
10-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Well, some of us have certain health issues that demand us to get the shot because if we don't and we get sick with something respiratory related, it could mean a hospital stay. So, guess what....I'd rather be safe than sorry cuz I fit into this category.

You are absolutely right Betsy. My wife is taking chemo and they don't hesitate to give it to her. We have both taken it for years with no problems and no flu. By the way if I am correct it does not purport to prevent flu but to minimize it at worst case scenario. Sad to hear people say it gave them the flu or their third cousin died from it. They don't even realize it is a DEAD virus.

bigmac
10-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Can't hurt...might help.

In the fall, if I stand in one place for more than a few minutes here at work, somebody is likely to come along and try to give me a flu shot. They got me this past Monday.

I always keep some Tamiflu around too...just in case.

Footin
10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Last time I got a flu shot I got the worst case of the flu I have ever had, no more flu shots for me.

Mikey
10-11-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont have a choice in the matter. I have to get one annually. Do they work? I can neither confirm nor deny. All I can say is that I havnt had the flu since I started getting my annual flu shot 7 years ago. Before that I was down with the flu 2 or 3 times a year.

Rapunzl
10-12-2007, 03:09 PM
As a nurse...here's my take on the flu shot...

Every year, the pharmaceutical companies have to evaluate the different flu viruses that are out there and decide which one would be the most potentially devastating during the coming flu season. Once chosen, that is the one that they make the virus for. So, even though you get a vaccine for the strain that is problematic for that given season, there are other flu viruses out there that can attack.

That said, I DO think that the vaccine is important for certain populations...the elderly, the very young, and anyone who has a chronic condition that could turn deadly if infected with the flu. I myself do not get the vaccine...I always seem to get sick when I do!!

pq2
10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I got tequila shots every weekend and that works well, or at least help to forget about everything for a while.

Willski
10-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't get one. I only work with 4 other people, and drink enough Gin to kill most anything...It's like antibiotics. Take enough to kill the bugs but not the person :rolleyes:

Same here. I've never had one. Not sure if they work. I'm on the Gin wagon with M-Funf. I also drink enough Tonic to ward off Malaria!

JohnnyB
10-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Isn't a Yooper flu shot a Jaegermeister with a Moosehead chaser!!!!

captain planet
10-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't get them and I NEVER get sick. Yea I said it....I NEVER GET SICK, SO BITE ME FLU!!!! Last time I had the flu was christmas eve, 1996. HA take that.

Besides the flu shot has thimersal (ethylmercury) in it which is linked to autism in young children. Nothing like exposing yourself to mercury in the hopes you may avoid getting sick for a few days.

Muttley
10-12-2007, 05:52 PM
I had a flu shot once. I got as sick as I'd ever been.

As a matter of fact, I'm just getting over the flu now. :noface:

WTRSK1R
10-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I get one every year for about the last 6 or 7 and I am happy to say that I have not had the flu during that time frame. A couple of years ago, there was something going through our kids school that seemed to get multiple members in every family we know, and not neither my kids or my wife and I got sick. I cannot say for sure it was the flu, but I can say we did not get sick. :o

milkmania
10-12-2007, 08:31 PM
never!

it's a conspiracy:mad:

Leroy
10-12-2007, 08:42 PM
I remember this being discussed last year. I remember very small amount, no study shows any danger. BigMac?

Most companies provide the flu shot for free so statistically they have figured out the flu shot is effective enough that it is cheaper than the cost of lost time.

Besides the flu shot has thimersal (ethylmercury) in it which is linked to autism in young children. Nothing like exposing yourself to mercury in the hopes you may avoid getting sick for a few days.

bigmac
10-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I remember this being discussed last year. I remember very small amount, no study shows any danger. BigMac?

Yeh. Tempest. Teapot. :rolleyes: Ask those same folks how they feel about flouride in their city water...you're likely to get an earful.

I recommend readers to this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12585&highlight=shot+mercury) from a year ago...re-reading it is likely to save a lot of rehashing. I'm pretty confident none of us have changed our views in the last year.

Willski
10-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Are we talking about the same flu. Maybe a healthcare person can clarify, but I believe the flu shot is good for influenza, the respiritory illness, not what people call the stomach flu (vomiting, diahreaha, etc.). I can't think of anyone I know that has been diagnosed with influeza. I think the stomach think is either another virus or a bacterial thing. Any doctors here??

Leroy
10-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Look at your backside :)

Are we talking about the same flu. Maybe a healthcare person can clarify, but I believe the flu shot is good for influenza, the respiritory illness, not what people call the stomach flu (vomiting, diahreaha, etc.). I can't think of anyone I know that has been diagnosed with influeza. I think the stomach think is either another virus or a bacterial thing. Any doctors here??

Leroy
10-12-2007, 09:25 PM
What is that saying about history repeating itself? :rolleyes:

Yeh. Tempest. Teapot. :rolleyes: Ask those same folks how they feel about flouride in their city water...you're likely to get an earful.

I recommend readers to this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12585&highlight=shot+mercury) from a year ago...re-reading it is likely to save a lot of rehashing. I'm pretty confident none of us have changed our views in the last year.

bigmac
10-12-2007, 09:47 PM

I think UMP is on call today....

Willski
10-12-2007, 09:50 PM

He's not a doctor, but he's seen one on TV.

bigmac
10-12-2007, 10:08 PM
He's not a doctor, but he's seen one on TV.

It's OK if he's not a doctor because this isn't a medical forum.

Leroy
10-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Now this is going to shock UMP in several ways!

It's OK if he's not a doctor because this isn't a medical forum.

suedv
10-13-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm one of those people that needs all the help they can get to prevent getting sick. I got my flu shot this week.

10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes UMP is on call. ;) 8p as I have told you all before, I am an engineer and a amature taximdermist, that makes me a doctor in some third world countries. ;) so its all a matter of geography (try telling that to the state medical board) The flu shot is for traditional infuenza. the respiratory type of flu, the arse kicking serious possibly can kill you flu.this is the type of flu that the flu shot is intended to prevent or reduce the severity of. the "other flu" is gastrointestinal. the vomitting, diarheah, type flu. the flu shot has NO effect on that flu at all.

10-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Now this is going to shock UMP in several ways! its like giving a vigilante a gun, but no badge!8p

Leroy
10-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Stick to the third world countries UMP!

Yes UMP is on call. ;) 8p as I have told you all before, I am an engineer and a amature taximdermist, that makes me a doctor in some third world countries. ;) so its all a matter of geography (try telling that to the state medical board) The flu shot is for traditional infuenza. the respiratory type of flu, the arse kicking serious possibly can kill you flu.this is the type of flu that the flu shot is intended to prevent or reduce the severity of. the "other flu" is gastrointestinal. the vomitting, diarheah, type flu. the flu shot has NO effect on that flu at all.

bigmac
10-13-2007, 11:31 AM

Thank you, Doctor, I concur.

That diarrhea, cramping etc really has nothing to do with influenza - it's actually a viral gastroenteritis. It's not actually the flu - which is entirely a respiratory illness. Viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu", "intesintal flu") can be caused by any one of several different viruses, but none of them are the influenza virus. Immunization for viral gastroenteritis isn't really feasible because it's caused by so many different viruses and so many different strains. That's different than influenza, which has fewer strains, and there is usually one prevalent strain each year. Influenza can be nasty business. "Intestinal flu" can be nasty too, highly unpleasant, but is rarely fatal. Immunization for the flu isn't so much to keep people from being uncomfortable as much as it's intended to keep them from dying and minimize the chances or widespread epidemic of the more deadly strains. That's one of the reasons that the CDC's recommendations are primarily for people who are at the greatest risk of dying from influenza - the very young, the very old, and the immunocompromised.

bigmac
10-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Stick to the third world countries UMP! He does live in the UP.....

Leroy
10-13-2007, 11:51 AM
True, he might be able to go across the border and help out with the backlog of surgeries :D

He does live in the UP.....

TMCNo1
10-13-2007, 12:10 PM
True, he might be able to go across the border and help out with the backlog of surgeries :D

I have heard he passed his board exam, he knows what a butcher block is, cause he trimmed the fat off a pork roast the other night!:D

bigmac
10-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Cross the border into Canada, or cross the border into the US?

Jesus_Freak
10-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Thank you, Doctor, I concur.

That diarrhea, cramping etc really has nothing to do with influenza - it's actually a viral gastroenteritis. It's not actually the flu - which is entirely a respiratory illness. Viral gastroenteritis ("stomach flu", "intesintal flu") can be caused by any one of several different viruses, but none of them are the influenza virus. Immunization for viral gastroenteritis isn't really feasible because it's caused by so many different viruses and so many different strains. That's different than influenza, which has fewer strains, and there is usually one prevalent strain each year. Influenza can be nasty business. "Intestinal flu" can be nasty too, highly unpleasant, but is rarely fatal. Immunization for the flu isn't so much to keep people from being uncomfortable as much as it's intended to keep them from dying and minimize the chances or widespread epidemic of the more deadly strains. That's one of the reasons that the CDC's recommendations are primarily for people who are at the greatest risk of dying from influenza - the very young, the very old, and the immunocompromised.

Thanks for the info.

Leah
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
I have never gotten the flu.....I've only been getting the shot for the past 5 years....a lot of people say that they got the flu from the shot...but from the symptoms they describe, it's not really the flu...some do get fatigue, aches, and general not feeling well, however the true virus is not so nice. Fevers, headaches, fatigue, cough, etc....and you will be in bed for a couple of days!!!! Most importantly...I don't want to bring it home to my family...that's why I get the shot!

captain planet
10-15-2007, 09:55 AM

WOW, that's crazy. I didn't even remember that thread last year and I said almost the exact same thing this year.....did I just say that?

tex
11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Patron please!

11-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I am only sick when Ric calls me.