PDA

View Full Version : Need some good vacation ideas!

rrbooker
10-11-2007, 10:10 AM
My wife and i decided that every year we would go on a nice vacation. We got married 2 yrs ago at St. Lucia Sandals Regency ( http://www.sandals.com/main/lucia/lu-home.cfm ), so we've been there. We were thinking about going back to St. Lucia, but staying at the Grande! ( http://www.sandals.com/main/grande/gl-home.cfm ) We went to Mexico (Riviera Maya) for our 1 year anniversary, and we weren't that impressed! We were thinking about going to Sandals Negril in Jamaica.( http://www.sandals.com/main/negril/ne-home.cfm ) I did read on here that it was completely redone, and they have a mastercraft!!!

Any other options would be appreciated!!

rrbooker
10-11-2007, 11:16 AM
anyone? :confused:

Monte
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Are you stuck on leaving the US????

Maristar210
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I've seen pictures of your wife. I'd let her pick and i'd follow her where ever she wanted to go :D

I seen several guys and here go to Costa Rica. Sounds like not such a tourist trap as some of the chains....

Monte
10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.chaletclub.com/ This place is pretty nice for a couples..

bigmac
10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Here's the thread on the MasterCraft at Sandals Negril. Unless they've replaced it recently, looks like kind of a heartbreaker.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14781

rrbooker
10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I'm not stuck on leaving the us! I'm open for anything. I just want it to be warm!

rrbooker
10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.chaletclub.com/ This place is pretty nice for a couples..

How is the weather in NC in Jan?

Monte
10-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I'm not stuck on leaving the us! I'm open for anything. I just want it to be warm!

Well, if your anniversary is during the late fall or winter.. Forget the place I just posted.. Not too bad now, but a few weeks from now:noface:

Monte
10-11-2007, 11:31 AM
How is the weather in NC in Jan?

Put it this way.. We spent our honeymoon (January) there.. It snowed.. then again we were not concerned with being outside;)

rrbooker
10-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Our anniversary is the 27th of this month, but we don't have time to do anything right now! I figured we would go in Jan/Feb to help brake up the michigan winter!

Mikey
10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I forget his name but I believe one of the members here on TT has a resort down in Cancun or Cozumel or something. I dont know if you would be interested in going there. Maybe he will chime in.

bcampbe7
10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
I forget his name but I believe one of the members here on TT has a resort down in Cancun or Cozumel or something. I dont know if you would be interested in going there. Maybe he will chime in.

That's pq...

We went to Grand Lido Negril for our honeymoon and loved it. Grand Lido Negril has a nude beach and Hedo is right across the street... Just sayin'. :D

Mikey
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
That's pq...

We went to Grand Lido Negril for our honeymoon and loved it. Grand Lido Negril has a nude beach and Hedo is right across the street... Just sayin'. :D

Now that I am a single man I might just have to try out one of those Hedo vacations. :cool:

rektek
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM

I've been to Coz many times, awesome for diving, I wouldn't go there if I were a non diver however, Cancun would be better for a non diver.

Kauai and Maui would be my choices, stop over in SF for a few days.

M-Funf
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Belize is one of my favorites. Nice and warm, they speak English, and they use the Dollar (2 Belize $ to each US $). The Cays are absolutely beautiful, and it's not too expensive. We stayed in Belize City at a B&B, Chaa Creek Lodge in San Ignacio (www.chaacreek.com), one night in Dangriga (yuk...), and for about 3 days in a beachfront cabin in Placencia (Kitty's Place), and a couple of nights on Laughing Bird Caye just off the coast of Placencia.

I really liked my time there (the 10 days before Hurricane Mitch which forced us to leave), and can't wait to go back...

http://www.travelbelize.org/

Bonus: They DO have a ski lake in Belize. I don't know if it's up and running yet, but you might want to give them a ring or an E-Mail :D

www.waterskibelize.com

WAT8415
10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I hear this is a great place, my cousin is looking to go there this winter http://www.skiparadise.com/acapulco.html

betsy&david Harrison
10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Palm Springs is nice this time of year. So is Hawaii for that matter.

rrbooker
10-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Thank you for the info! I would love to go to hawaii but i think that will be for our 5th! I'll see what the wife wants and let you guys know

Jerseydave
10-12-2007, 08:09 PM
threadjack..........saw your photos.......where in the NE are you? What lake is that, looks great!

threadjack over :)

RK@UST
10-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Mazatlan is great this time of the year.

wakolman
10-13-2007, 12:10 AM
We went to Breezes Runaway Bay in Jamaica. I thought it was a good vacation. They have since remodeled, and it looks even better. All inclusive, even the watersports (scuba down to 40' w/passing short lesson in the pool, sailing, waterskiing).

www.superclubs.com

They have many resorts in Jamaica, as well as other countries.

Leroy
10-13-2007, 01:06 AM
I would recomment St Martin island, Le Meridien hotel on the French half of the island. Really beautiful.

The other option is the Black Rock Sheraton on Maui. Great location and stay in the huts by the ocean.

I thought COzumel was good for diving and cheap food/drinks.

GO to the coast along France/Spain/Italy during the summer.

jdl xstar
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Old thread but I have same questions for a Summer vacation... Looking at places in the carribean. I prefer all inclusive but doesn't have to be if the price is right and there are good restaurant options near hotel.. The Sandals in St. Lucia - the big Sandals there, not sure of the name, has caught my eye. Anyone ever been?

TxsRiverRat
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Old thread but I have same questions for a Summer vacation... Looking at places in the carribean. I prefer all inclusive but doesn't have to be if the price is right and there are good restaurant options near hotel.. The Sandals in St. Lucia - the big Sandals there, not sure of the name, has caught my eye. Anyone ever been?

One thing I love is Caribbean island travel (and other international destinations). That being said, I’ve been to Maui, Cozumel 8-9x, Jamaica 2x, Grand Cayman 2x, Punta Cana, Puerto Rico 2x, Cancun 3x, Bahamas 2x, Mallorca, and all over Spain and Israel.

As far as the A/I resorts, I have been to Breezes and Royal Decameron in Runaway Bay in Jamaica, The Allegro in Cozumel 2x, two Palace resorts in Cancun, and the NOW Lorimar in Punta Cana. Some of these resorts were 3 star, some 5 star...

I just got back from Ambergeris Caye in Belize and that was not A/I... I had a privately owned condo I rented for 10 days and it had a full kitchen in it.

Simply put, all I can say is, the food and drink at the A/Is suck... Just plain suck...

My suggestion is that you find where you want to go, get on www.vrbo.com and find an affordable condo rental and go a-la-carte. You can buy local beers and liquors and make your own drinks just as easy and BETTER IMO. I’m not one of those that eat a full American breakfast each day, so a trip to the local convenience store for cereal, milk, OJ, water, fruits and snacks is just fine, plus I eat in privacy in my own room if I so desire.

If you’re a scuba diver, there is no better bang for your buck than Cozumel. However, I will say the fact that I was able to scuba with 10 ft sharks and see dolphins and whales on my trip the The Great Blue Hole was freaking AMAZING... Plus on my last dive I was actually able to touch a spotted eagle ray.

If you want gorgeous beach, this is my top list in order of beautiful beaches in order of preference:

1. 7 Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
2. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
3. Wailea, Hawaii
4. Mallorca, Spain
5. Lucillo Beach, Puerto Rico
6. Tiberias, Israel

If you want awesome scuba, I suggest Cozumel, Ambergris Caye and Maui.

Re: Waterskiing vacations, IIRC, Gordon Rathburns only sold week long packages, and it was not cheap. I know personally, I can not ski 2 sets per day in a slalom course. By day three, I would need hand and back replacement surgery... So all that skiing money I paid for would go to waste. Also, if you’re thinking house boating vacations on Lake Powell, I’ve done it and I hated it. Too much work for a vacation – I just want to relax... Plus the waterskiing really sucked there, my .02 cents.

MC

clrussell
01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
I havnt been to the sandals in st Lucia, but I have been to st Lucia.. I went to jade mountain, you'll have to google it, it was extreme! I loved the place, the whole island was awesome and I recommend it to anyone who wants to get away.. I went for 7 days and shut the phone off when I left Miami and turned it back on in Miami when we got back and never missed it while I was down there! Jade is super exclusive, super expensive but super awesome! Sandals would probably be cheaper and still pretty dang nice! We have actually talked about going to the sandals down there sometime.. The water is super clear and when we went in may it was about 85 degrees average with I think 80 degree water temp? It was great!

Tapatalk

bbymgr
01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Ive been to the Sandals Grande St. Lucian. We had a great time. The island is pretty small, but there is still plenty to do. Like RiverRat, I have also stayed at a Breezes and will agree that the food sucked there, but I have always had excellent food at Sandals. Since the island is so small, it is very easy to go to any of the restaurants at any of the Sandals on the island. We went to La Toc three times for dinner. You have 15-20 restaurants to choose from. I also agree with RiverRat that if you want to do some diving, then Cozumel is a better destination. The reefs are bigger as the water temps are better for coral growth.

jdl xstar
01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, russell and txriverrat. Hawaii is also a possibility but never thought the water/beaches were as nice as what one can find in the carribean- but I may have to re-visit a Hawaiian vaca based on your recommendations. As for Jade mountain- I have definitly heard of it! It might be a little too expensive for what i'm looking for but I can tell it is an amazing place.

skps190
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
We also have been to Sandals Grande St. Lucian. Food was great, as well as everything else. Zip lining was good, rode horses on the beach, my favorite part was the helicopter tour from the resort to the airport. A bit pricey but way better than a 2 hour bus ride, and a great way to see the island. We will probably go back for an anniversary trip.

TxsRiverRat
01-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, russell and txriverrat. Hawaii is also a possibility but never thought the water/beaches were as nice as what one can find in the carribean- but I may have to re-visit a Hawaiian vaca based on your recommendations. As for Jade mountain- I have definitly heard of it! It might be a little too expensive for what i'm looking for but I can tell it is an amazing place.

If you seriously consider Hawaii, and you plan to hit Maui, I highly recommend you stay in the town of Kihei... The hotels will rape you with the food prices. A friend of mine just got back and said the breakfast buffet at the hotels are now $35 PER PERSON - wow! In Kihei you can eat at catch of the day types of places for under $40 for both of you. Plus all the really cool nightlife in Kihei is alot of fun... the dive boats take off from there as well.

Be sure if Maui is what you select, to contact me, I have my own insiders guide I typed up for a family member that went also...

MC

ski_king
01-02-2013, 02:13 PM
We went to the Big Island (Hawaii) last year and liked it better than Maui. This island has a little bit of everything including an active volcano.

CottagerGreg
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Sandals in Jamaica has Mastercraft ski boats so you can do some cuts on your vacation.

St. Lucia is awesome and the scuba is good too in the Marine Reserve

maxpower220
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Have you ever considered a cruise? IMO, it is the best "bang for your buck" vacation. Since you get on the boat, you unpack and the boat takes you different places.

Yes, drinks are expensive, but you can bring wine, you can sneak liquor, or you can just compare the total cost of a cruise vaca to an all inclusive.