PDA

View Full Version : depth finder

lanier92prostar
10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I would like to put a depth finder in the dash of my 92 190. I was wondering if anyone else has done it and which gauge they removed and where they put that gauge. Thanks.

hkyplyr31
10-11-2007, 02:55 AM
The HDR 610 (http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?id=611) was an easy install on my 88, but I replaced the hour meter and moved it into the engine compartment. I would suggest getting a puck type transducer.

wats218
10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I recently just purchased a depth finder for my 96 prostar off of ebay. Haven't installed it yet, but am going to put it where the clock is. The depthfinder seamed like a pretty good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HawkEye-Depth-Finder-Sounder-DF1000D-B_W0QQitemZ270173112755QQihZ017QQcategoryZ384QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

WTRSK1R
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
When I had my '92 PS205 I pulled the hour meter and moved it under the dash. I figured I only needed to see that periodically, and looking under the dash was acceptable.

mayo93prostar
10-11-2007, 08:38 AM
I put the hdr610 in the dash in place of the clock on my 93 prostar. I used the Accessory 1 power connection under the dash. puck transducer mounted on the inside of the hull near the driveshaft. it is pretty easy, you need to pull the rear floor board up to get to the back area. watch the screws in the dash, mine were rusted and twisted the nuts out of the dash when I turned them. Had to replace with clipnuts.

lanier92prostar
10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to put it where the hour meter is and move the hour meter somewhere under the dash.

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
That'd get my vote. I found the clock to be a pretty useful thing. Just to throw the idea out there, you could always look into getting a new tach with an hour meter built in. Plug it in to the power for a few days or a week and let the hours run up to where they need to be before installing it.

defender1009
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Man, if you're on Lake Lanier (I'm assuming from your handle), I can understand the desire to get a depth gauge---Wylie isn't much better. Just saw this pictorial online today---depressing.

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/view/metro/lakelevels1010/

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Forward reaching sonar would be infinitely useful for stumps and rocks. But it's a bit too pricey. Depth gauges are handy for detecting gradual slopes and sandbars at slower speeds. But at 36 mph, watching it go from 8 feet to 2 feet barely gives you time to shout, "Bail!"

Not that they aren't handy if you're cruising slowly seeing how close you can get to the beach. But all that said, I wouldn't have given up my clock for one given what we have to worry about in the lakes we frequent. Other lakes (like Lanier) may be a different story (I don't know).

defender1009
10-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Well, until they offer the X-star "backhoe edition", depth gauges are about the best we've got. ;-) I intend to install one by next season---used it on my last boat all the time, given that it's rare for my home lake to be deeper then 30-40 feet at full pond, much less during a drought like we have now. You can be in the middle of a huge cove and suddenly notice that you're in 2 feet of water while 200 yards from shore.

I used to frequent Lake Cumberland in Kentucky---now that was a lake that made depth gauges obselete---200+ feet in the middle of the lake, and rarely did it drop below 30-40 feet in small coves. (although it's now suffering a massive drop too, due to emergency dam repairs).

I'm guessing the lakes in TX are relatively shallow as well?

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Not so much. Like I said, I'm more worried about a stump or a rock (depending on the lake). Again, I'm not saying there's not a good reason to have a depth finder. But given how the lakes I frequent are, the clock was more useful for us.

We had a depth alarm on our prop. If it got too shallow, the alarm would cause the entire boat to vibrate like crazy. It came free with the boat. You didn't get charged until the alarm went off. At that point, you spent $100 to have the prop refurb'd, at which point, a new invisible depth alarm was installed.

lanier92prostar
10-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I know it is not going to help me with stumps and rocks, but it will help in staying away from shallow spots in which you could hit a stump or a rock. Defender, I am at lanier and the depth finder is useful in staying in the channels in which the chance of hitting something decreases. I would like to extend my boating season to next year since the predictions are for the lake to go even farther down. Eastie, I don't have clock on the 92, that didn't happen until 93 so I have to move the hour meter. I didn't think about buying a tach with the built in hour meter, but that is an option so I don't have to move wires. Thanks again for all the input.

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
If you can't tell, I was a huge fan of the clock. :)

lanier92prostar
10-12-2007, 02:47 PM
If I had the clock on the 92, I might have been home on time and stayed out of trouble!

milkmania
10-12-2007, 03:08 PM
my vote is to keep the clock.....

when you're filling out insurance claim forms, they always ask for time of accident;)

lanier92prostar
10-12-2007, 03:12 PM
If I had one, I would keep it!

milkmania
10-12-2007, 03:14 PM
If I had one, I would keep it!

same but different boat here......

no hour meter, or clock here:(

previous owner gave up one or the other for the depth finder:rolleyes:

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 03:18 PM
For you poor clockless souls, there's one here (http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1143&cat=all) in the marketplace.