PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - first time owner

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone - first off, THANKS for letting me lurk for a long time on here as it really helped me decide to purchase my "new" boat ;) I recently picked up a 1987 Prostar that I think is in pretty nice shape. The trailer isn't that great, but I only use it twice a year to put in the water and pull out...so no big deal. However, any thoughts on getting it up higher on the trailer so I can hook that bar in easier?? Wow...that's an odd one! I thought I read that maybe greasing the bunks or something will do the trick. Ugh.

At any rate, it has 695 hours only and looks pretty nice. I am in the process of buffing it up a bit with rubbing compound followed up with waxing. The bulk of it is looking real nice. The bottom is pretty icky yet, but I'll eventually get to that. It doesn't come off with the buffer, so I may try some chemical treatment idea I saw posted here and then wax it. The interior was replaced about 7 years ago, and only shows a couple of wear spots. The motor is VERY clean and well-taken care of. I will be doing my first winterization on it this weekend.

We owned a simply runabout for the previous 10 years and my wife was freaked out at the idea of purchasing something 20 years old - she soon fell in love with it and finds it's much easier to drive than the other one - and way more fun! The guy threw in an extended pylon and boom for me, so we can't wait to get the kids up and skiing/boarding next year! Here are a few photos if you're interested...thanks again!

http://picasaweb.google.com/VirtualWI/Prostar?authkey=PxtYW11Sqgs

lanier92prostar
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice looking boat. Welcome to Team Talk.

Monte
10-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Two Words.. "Boat Buddy"... First off welcome to TT.. Second.. Get rid of that bar.. Find a boat buddy and Install it... Third.. Nice boat..

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Two Words.. "Boat Buddy"... First off welcome to TT.. Second.. Get rid of that bar.. Find a boat buddy and Install it... Third.. Nice boat..

Hehehehe...thanks...I understand ;)

Monte
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Hehehehe...thanks...I understand ;)

I have a set of plans for the BB/support bar if you need them...

Mikey
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Welcome to TeamTalk! :toast:

tex
10-09-2007, 09:42 PM
welcome...as you can see, there's a lot of help here!

Mikey
10-09-2007, 09:45 PM
BTW can you post a pic of your boat on this thread. The network that I am using has that website blocked.

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
BTW can you post a pic of your boat on this thread. The network that I am using has that website blocked.

Sorry ;) Here is one pic for ya...the others aren't much different ;)
http://www.virtualwi.com/images/DSC_1593.JPG

TMCNo1
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Welcome aboard!

fintek9
10-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Welcome to TT, Nice looking boat, you have all winter to get it ship shape. Yes get the BB, The rig you have looks dangerous. Now that seeing your a "Principal".... GET THAT PLATFORM TO THE WOOD SHOP ASAP! Before #1 see's it and sends you to DETENTION!:D

WTRSK1R
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the board. Nice looking boat. The interior looks like it is in great shape from what you can see in the photos.

What lake are you on ?

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Welcome to TT, Nice looking boat, you have all winter to get it ship shape. Yes get the BB, The rig you have looks dangerous. Now that seeing your a "Principal".... GET THAT PLATFORM TO THE WOOD SHOP ASAP! Before #1 see's it and sends you to DETENTION!:D

Thanks ;) "principal" is used loosely! I own/run my own business - sort of a one-person-show. I always found "business owner" to be a little, umm, conceited or something...so someone gave me the term "principal" long ago and it sort of stuck ;) Now that I think of it, maybe I should change it :confused:

Does it look that unsafe??!!

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the board. Nice looking boat. The interior looks like it is in great shape from what you can see in the photos.

What lake are you on ?

Yes, it's pretty clean - something my kids will take care of next year :mad:

Laurel_Lake_Skier
10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
You are sure to get loads of enjoyment from your MasterCraft. Welcome to the site.....as you see, lots of great info and friendly folks around here.

h2oskiluvr
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Welcome to TT! Nice looking boat. I have a question about your vehicle. How well does the Honda Ridgeline do with the boat? I am interested in them but I am worried that it doesn't have enough power. Does it have an eight or a six cylander motor?

milkmania
10-09-2007, 10:45 PM
VirtualWi,

Welcome aboardhttp://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/captain.gif

I remember my wife's reaction when I brought my 91 PS190 home.....
"you gave how much for a 13 year old boat?!?!?!?:mad:"

until she drove it:steering:

some people love the Boat Buddy, some people hate it----> I love it!

part of getting in there and working on the boat is that you are also learning
and this discussion board goes hand in hand with learning!

great looking boat, we love pics too!

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Welcome to TT! Nice looking boat. I have a question about your vehicle. How well does the Honda Ridgeline do with the boat? I am interested in them but I am worried that it doesn't have enough power. Does it have an eight or a six cylander motor?

It's perfect ;) Honestly...I have owned a lot of autos in the past, and this one is GREAT. I put on about 30,000 miles a year and this one has about 40,000 on it already and it is like it just rolled off the showroom floor - no squeaks, rattles, etc. Our old boat was about 800 pounds heavier, and it towed it great. From what little I did so far, it was a piece of cake. I know many of you will say it's not a "real" truck - but that's the point and it suits my needs just perfect...I don't need the huge bed or V-8 stump-pulling power...I need something that seats 5 comfortably, pulls a boat, hauls my junk, works as a tax write-off and gets decent gas-mileage ;) It has a V-6 and I usually average about 21 MPG mixed driving - more highway. It doesn't see much mileage anymore as I "downgraded" to a micro-van for my purposes ;)

Plenty of power...really. At least for my needs. It's only rated for 5,000 pounds towing, so it depends on what you're towing.

123src
10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the Board! Nice Boat. You will find much help here....As I did!

VirtualWi
10-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome - this is very similar to the Ridgeline owner's club...everyone is friendly!

milkmania
10-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for the nice welcome - this is very similar to the Ridgeline owner's club...everyone is friendly!

we might head over there and post pics of our Chevy's8p

fintek9
10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks ;) "principal" is used loosely! I own/run my own business - sort of a one-person-show. I always found "business owner" to be a little, umm, conceited or something...so someone gave me the term "principal" long ago and it sort of stuck ;) Now that I think of it, maybe I should change it :confused:

Does it look that unsafe??!!Just the crank so low, But it is an MC trailer, I'm used to the crank and bar right up to the eye!

mayo93prostar
10-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Virtual, In my opinion, if you only use the trailer twice a year, it may not be worth putting the boat buddy on because it requires welding steel to the trailer frame and then painting it.

Do you know that you can "power" the boat on the trailer for the bar to hook? If you are not familiar with this, the process is one person drives the boat onto the trailer and powers it forward and one holds the bar up until the boat comes far enough forward for the bar to catch the eye on the front of the boat. The holder has to stand in the water usually. It is not hard but you do need to trust your driver. When the bar latches, signal the driver to stop. You do it slow, a little bit at a time. Another option is to back the trailer in farther for the boat to go farther forward easier.

Good luck with the boat, I had a similar 87 but the interior was not in as good shape as yours. How much did you pay for it? It looks good. Nice house and it looks like you are right on the lake. sweet!

92 190 PS
10-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the board. Interesting to hear the Ridgeline does so well towing. I have a Pilot that I tow my 02 with and it does pretty good. Just a bit soft in the rear end. I'm fixing that with air bags this fall. Again, welcome to the board and nice looking set up.

VirtualWi
10-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Good luck with the boat, I had a similar 87 but the interior was not in as good shape as yours. How much did you pay for it? It looks good. Nice house and it looks like you are right on the lake. sweet!

I am with you - I will probably just figure something out as my wife is a little nervous to stand in front of the boat ;) I tried powering it on, but it just wouldn't budge...I tried it deeper, too, but nothing. I am going to put it back in the H2O today and see if I can figure it out.

I paid $8,000 for it - I knew the guy well-enough and he is a great guy that keeps really good care of everything. So hopefully I got a good deal, or else I don't mind not getting a great deal because I trust him - make sense?!

Willski
10-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I am with you - I will probably just figure something out as my wife is a little nervous to stand in front of the boat ;) I tried powering it on, but it just wouldn't budge...I tried it deeper, too, but nothing. I am going to put it back in the H2O today and see if I can figure it out.

I paid $8,000 for it - I knew the guy well-enough and he is a great guy that keeps really good care of everything. So hopefully I got a good deal, or else I don't mind not getting a great deal because I trust him - make sense?!

Powering on and hooking the bar is the only way I can get mine hooked. I've heard people talking about doing it a different way, but I don't see how they do it. My wench is not in the correct orientation to pull the boat up the trailer.

H20skeefreek
10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
My wench is not in the correct orientation to pull the boat up the trailer.

Which, in my opinion, is the only thing wrong with this design. I've had the boat die on my twice, and had a HECK of a time puting it on the trailer. Other than that, I don't have a problem with it.

east tx skier
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Welcome! Great looking boat!

SkiDog
10-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Thats the exact boat as my very first one. Fell in love the first time I saw it. But then came the Platinum Prostar the next year!

M-Funf
10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Welcome! Good looking boat! Congrats on the upgrade :wavey:

endl
10-10-2007, 11:24 AM

Did you say "Ridgeline owners club".......??????

Ok, now your getting crap about the truck! :D

Welcome aboard!

defender1009
10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Looks like you're in a similar situation as me---I just bought an 87 PS also. Mine is a great condition boat, with a crappy trailer as well. Congrats and good luck! I may be asking you for some "reference" pics as I re-do some things on mine this winter---feel free to ask me for the same.

Datdude
10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the club!

Congrats on the new ride:D

VirtualWi
10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Did you say "Ridgeline owners club".......??????

Ok, now your getting crap about the truck! :D

Welcome aboard!

Hehe...I wondered when this was going to turn into a Ridgeline-bashing thread :D I guess I should really call it what it is:

"The-Bank-owns-my-Ridgeline-but-I drive-it" club :cool:

VirtualWi
10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Looks like you're in a similar situation as me---I just bought an 87 PS also. Mine is a great condition boat, with a crappy trailer as well. Congrats and good luck! I may be asking you for some "reference" pics as I re-do some things on mine this winter---feel free to ask me for the same.

Let's see some pics!! Congrats yourself and let's work together!

stuartmcnair
10-10-2007, 12:23 PM
I would love to get a set of those plans. My next door neighbor is a master welder and has offered to build whatever I need for it. I have an '89 and love everything about it except that bar and winch setup.

My email address is skmcnair@hotmail.com.

defender1009
10-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Let's see some pics!! Congrats yourself and let's work together!

Here you go---check here. I need to get these posted to my profile as well I suppose.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=415404#post415404

How are your gauges? All of them work? That's at the top of my list---gotta re-wire the console---a poor attempt at a stereo install by a PO seems to have done in most of the gauges.

mayo93prostar
10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Virtual, looks like you paid a fair price at $8k. as fyi, i sold my 87 with 1200 hours for $5k. it ran like a champ but had some dings. I bought my 93 with 350 hrs for $10k but needed to do some work on painting the tranny and cleaning the motor up. but the hull and upholstery on the 93 is immaculate. 394 hrs now.

VirtualWi
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
How are your gauges? All of them work? That's at the top of my list---gotta re-wire the console---a poor attempt at a stereo install by a PO seems to have done in most of the gauges.

The right speedo leaks at higher speed...so I need to figure that out. Otherwise, everything else seems to be working just fine ;) I would like to install a stereo at some point, but that's way down on my list as I'd rather have someone drive while I sit in back and listen to that sweet exhaust note :D

VirtualWi
10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Virtual, looks like you paid a fair price at $8k. as fyi, i sold my 87 with 1200 hours for $5k. it ran like a champ but had some dings. I bought my 93 with 350 hrs for $10k but needed to do some work on painting the tranny and cleaning the motor up. but the hull and upholstery on the 93 is immaculate. 394 hrs now.

That sounds GREAT! Our goal is to keep this as long as it runs well and get a cheap pontoon as a second boat to just toodle around in (did I just say "toodle"?) to save on the hours, etc. Sort of fills my need for an old muscle car...it does everything I want/need but want to keep it for a LONG time so saving on those pleasure cruises may help ;)

alp
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Nice boat. Have fun with it!

Four the past three seasons we have been towing a 92 PS 190 with a '05 Honda Pilot. Does a great job. We average about 1,200 miles of towing per season. 63k miles, MPH is 22 without boat and 18 with boat (use gear 3D mostly), seats 8, tows up to 4,500 lbs, VTM 4WD system, versitle seating with great storage options for your gear, rides very smooth.

VirtualWi
10-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Nice boat. Have fun with it!

Four the past three seasons we have been towing a 92 PS 190 with a '05 Honda Pilot. Does a great job. We average about 1,200 miles of towing per season. 63k miles, MPH is 22 without boat and 18 with boat (use gear 3D mostly), seats 8, tows up to 4,500 lbs, VTM 4WD system, versitle seating with great storage options for your gear, rides very smooth.

I love the Pilots - however, they don't meet the 6,000 LB GVWR I need for the tax write-off. Plus with all the hauling of "crap" I do, I would hate to get the inside dirty ;) The Ridgeline is the perfect blend for us ;)

defender1009
10-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey, I'd take the Ridgeline too if the Pilot can only do 18 MPH with the boat hitched up. ;-)

My primary concern about the Ridgeline would be getting a flat while I had a huge load of something (junk, mulch, etc) in the bed. Otherwise, there's a lot of ingenuity in that truck that's already starting to now show up in the domestics.

ShamrockIV
10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Welcome!!!! I am on my 4th ski boat, 2 of them have been mastercrafts. you will love yours!!! I am on my first open bow and i love it. With a wife and four young daughters the room is essential!!!
Welcome!!

VirtualWi
10-11-2007, 04:07 PM
My primary concern about the Ridgeline would be getting a flat while I had a huge load of something (junk, mulch, etc) in the bed. Otherwise, there's a lot of ingenuity in that truck that's already starting to now show up in the domestics.

Good point! I will now start putting it on top of my loads in those situations! I really have nothing against the domestics at all...they are great, too...just too much for what I need.

WAT8415
10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Welcome, you're going to have a lot of fun with your new boat.

SunCoast 83
10-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Welcome to Team Mastercraft. You just need to power the boat up to the bar, slowly until you become familiar with the handling of the boat. (like described by 87mayoprostar) The 1987 ProStar is a dynamic boat!! My parents had a rare '87 ProStar with a 454 block, that we grew up on. Again welcome and congrats!

VirtualWi
10-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Welcome to Team Mastercraft. You just need to power the boat up to the bar, slowly until you become familiar with the handling of the boat. (like described by 87mayoprostar) The 1987 ProStar is a dynamic boat!! My parents had a rare '87 ProStar with a 454 block, that we grew up on. Again welcome and congrats!

Nice!! Wow...I bet that was a ton of fun! An acquaintance of mine is a retired mechanic and has a "low-mileage" 460 Ford laying around in his garage - he is thinking about how to squeeze it in there already!

tuffenuff
10-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your MC. I got my first boat last season ('88 Prostar) and I can tell you that you will be loving it for a looong time! I've tinkered with mine (stereo, props, etc.) so feel free to ask questions.
Again Congrats and welcome aboard.