PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Mastercract Project Stuck Motor! HELP!

mwbuickregal
10-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Hello Everyone! I Am Trying To Bring Back To Life A 1976 Mastercraft Stars And Stripes That Has Been Neglected By The Previous Owner!

Here Is What I Bought:

It Was Brought Up To Wi From Alabama In 1992 And Sat Outside For The Last 15 Years Or So......the Motor Is Stuck The Transmission Does Not Seem To Want To Engage In Gear When Its Shifted In The Handle (the Prop Still Spins Free), The Prop Shaft Is Bent, The Floor Is Rotten (suprisingly The Strigers Are Still Good), There Is A Whole In The Front Of The Hull (looks Like From Sitting On Shore Or From Ice Freezing In The Hull Over The Winter), And The Rudder Is Bent....!!!wow!! I Know! Im Crazy! I Saved The Boat From The Scrap Yard For The Price Of $350.00.

Here Is What I Have Done:

So Far I Have Replaced The Floor With All New Treated Lumber And Have Fiberglassed The Top Portion Of The Floor And The Inside Walls. The Bottom Has Also Been Sealed With A Marine Application. The Exterior Of The Boat Has Been Brought Back To Life With A 8 Hour Buff/wax/polish Job. I Have A Friend In The Body Shop Business That Is Going To Repair The Hull For Me. I Have Had A Transmisson Fluid/sea Foam Mix In The Motor For The Last 14 Days And The Motor Is Still Stuck! The Transmission Does Not Seem To Be Responding When Its Shifted In Gear (the Prop Still Spins Free). The Prop Shaft Is Bent ( I Am Thinking A Drive Shaft Repair Shop Can Straighten It)......does Anyone Have Any Helpful Suggestions On Any Of The Above???thanks In Advance!! Look Forward To Hearing From The Experts! Mike

KnoxX2
10-09-2007, 07:45 PM
We need Pics!

ttu
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
no expert on restoration here but make sure you take pics thru the process and post them here.

look forward to seeing this mc come back to life.:D

ski_king
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry, I don't have a lot of input for you at this point, but please post some pictures of the project.

Dan K
10-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Did you try turning the motor with a breaker bar and socket on the front pulley ?

JDK
10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
I Have Had A Transmisson Fluid/sea Foam Mix In The Motor For The Last 14 Days And The Motor Is Still Stuck!

Have you had this in each cyl. or the entire engine for 14 days? I know guys that have filled cyls., crankcase and intake with diesel to free stuck engines, and it has worked. You might try this if the seafoam/trans fluid doesn't work (you've got nothing to loose).

M-Funf
10-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you've got a handle on the cosmetics...

The engine will likely need rebuilt, trans too. I'd probably go with a new prop shaft, new prop, new rudder...

Good Luck with the resto! And POST PICTURES!!!

michael freeman
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
We need Pics!
ditto ..................

Slinkyredfoot
10-09-2007, 08:26 PM
There are a multitude of things with you MC project that seem to need addressed....not only do we need pics like all thay have posted previously....but I need specifics....

Is the motor truly locked up? you said the prop turned freely, could it be a throttle linkage issue, who knows??????
Pics and more info would be helpful, take pains and fix this classic up right and you will love it.....and the knowledge here on TT has never been better....Welcome Newbie...

mwbuickregal
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
yes, i have been prying on the front pulley with a socket/wratchet/pole and no luck :( thanks for the post!

mwbuickregal
10-09-2007, 10:03 PM
i filled all 8 cylinders through the spark plug holes....i may have to try the diesel fuel....

Monte
10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
yes, i have been prying on the front pulley with a socket/wratchet/pole and no luck :( thanks for the post!

You probably need to buck up and take it to an engine repair shop... However I agree with the diesel fuel recomendation. I have heard of(yet never tried) that tactic.. Pics would be a good thing;) :cool:

cbryan70
10-09-2007, 10:06 PM
if you havnt gotten the hint yet POST SOME PICS! welcome to the board

Monte
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Oh yeah! Welcome...

mwbuickregal
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
thanks to all that have responded! please keep the suggestions coming! i will post pics of the progress!

mwbuickregal
10-09-2007, 10:15 PM
here are some pre resto pics everyone!!

mwbuickregal
10-09-2007, 10:20 PM
here are some more pre resto pics everyone!

Monte
10-09-2007, 10:28 PM
MBR your pics are kinda small... Looks like you're coming along from what I can tell..

WTRSK1R
10-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I would not worry about the transmission until I had the motor running. The transmission is basically hydrostatic and it takes the engine running to build fluid pressure and engage the drive. Therefore, without the motor it might still spin.

Steve

shepherd
10-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Sat Outside For The Last 15 Years Or So......the Motor Is Stuck The Transmission Does Not Seem To Want To Engage In Gear When Its Shifted In The Handle (the Prop Still Spins Free), The Prop Shaft Is Bent, The Floor Is Rotten (suprisingly The Strigers Are Still Good), There Is A Whole In The Front Of The Hull (looks Like From Sitting On Shore Or From Ice Freezing In The Hull Over The Winter), And The Rudder Is Bent....!!!wow!! I Know! Im Crazy! I Saved The Boat From The Scrap Yard For The Price Of $350.00.

Whoa! You ARE crazy! I guess that's why you're here with all us other nuts.

Welcome mw. You're going to have fun with that one. Keep us posted. Post (bigger) pics! :D

rektek
10-10-2007, 01:01 AM
in the time wasted trying to free up a locked engine you could have taken the motor out and disassembled it.

even if it does free up, the rings will start to break and or burn oil like mad dog. bite the bullet and pull the motor. you might get lucky with a ring and valve job.

cheers

JLeuck64
10-10-2007, 03:15 PM
The Morse control handle should move the trans shift cable at the same time as the engine throttle. There is a small push/pull button that disengages the trans cable to allow you to only move the engine throttle, check to see if that is working properly.

I have personally seen what the inside of engines look like after sitting outside for extended periods of time. It is never pretty... and to rebuild them is expensive and time consuming. I would consider finding a new powerplant.

The transmission on the other could be in much better shape! It might still work just fine even without being freshened up.

Get the powerplant and fuel system working again, tackle the transmission if necessary, then fix the drivetrain (Elberts.com can help with prop shaft etc.)

Bringing one back from the grave can be very rewarding, especially if you do most of the work yourself. I know cause I have brought mine back from being a submarine just last summer.
Good luck

TRBenj
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I would not worry about the transmission until I had the motor running. The transmission is basically hydrostatic and it takes the engine running to build fluid pressure and engage the drive. Therefore, without the motor it might still spin.

Steve

Forget might spin, the tranny will spin without the motor running- regardless of whether its in gear or not. Theres no easy way to tell if the tranny is good or not until you get the motor running and put the boat in the water. Great post WTRSK1R.

I say keep the oil sitting in the cylinders for a while (a few weeks). Then get a real breaker bar on the thing. I bet it will free up.

Prematurely investing $1500+ in a rebuild or new motor (plus all the time and hassle to pull it out) is unwise at this point, considering you only have $350 into the entire boat.

ProTour X9
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Boats sure were small back then!!

mwbuickregal
10-11-2007, 01:12 AM
thanks to everyone for the great suggestions and info! your help will save me some serious $$$! and will allow me to invest it elsewhere in the boat. i think i will let the oil sit for a bit longer and see if i can get the motor loose. if not,,,,i will be buying a 351 rebuilt marine engine. does anyone know if this is a standard rotating engine???

M-Funf
10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
my '76 is RH rotation...

TRBenj
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
does anyone know if this is a standard rotating engine???
Easiest way to tell is by looking at the prop. RH prop = reverse rotation, while LH means standard.

mwbuickregal
10-11-2007, 02:05 PM
hi everyone....the motor came free today! i have been filling the cylinders with oil and rocking it back and forth. Do i dare try starting the engine?? or will i risk wrecking it?

TRBenj
10-11-2007, 02:09 PM
hi everyone....the motor came free today! i have been filling the cylinders with oil and rocking it back and forth. Do i dare try starting the engine?? or will i risk wrecking it?
Glad to hear it.

Turn it over several times by hand with the breaker bar on the crank. Change the oil and make sure it has fresh gas (maybe hook up a small line off the fuel pump directly into a small gas can) before you do anything. Then try starting it- what do you have to lose?

Monte
10-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Good Job! PM JimN about the next phase.. He knows his stuff..

KnoxX2
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I think I would pull the heads off and take a peek.

M-Funf
10-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Do you have a borescope? Can you borrow or rent one? If so, I'd pull plugs and look down in the cylinders to see what kind of damage you've got. You might also be able to get a glimpse of the valves...

That said...I agree with Monte...What have you got to lose?

Edit: I have a marine engine waiting to be installed sitting on a stand. Once every few months, I crank it without starting (remove coil wire) to get oil pressure up and oil circulating. I also run it once every 6-9 months on the stand...

WTRSK1R
10-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Glad to hear it.

Turn it over several times by hand with the breaker bar on the crank. Change the oil and make sure it has fresh gas (maybe hook up a small line off the fuel pump directly into a small gas can) before you do anything. Then try starting it- what do you have to lose?

I agree with TRBenj that I would give it a try, but I would add one more step. I would pull the coil wire and spin it over with the starter for maybe 15 seconds let it sit for about a minute and do it again just to hear what it sounds like while cranking before I actually tried to start it. If there is any mechanical scrapping, dragging, knocking or other strange noises I would rather hear it without ignition first. Don't crank for more then about 15 to 20 seconds at a time or you will damage the starter though.

Steve