PDA

View Full Version : Winterization

vision
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I have my local MC dealer winterize my boat each year as they do a great job for a good price. I hate to winterize yet as we will have several 70 to 80 degree days for a few more weeks (90 today!). But, we will also have a few nights that will dip below 32 for 5 to 8 hours. I realize that the thermal mass of the motor is high enough that one night at 30 degrees will likely not freeze water in the block. But is there any thing I can do short of complete winterization to increase the odds that a short cold snap will not damage the motor? The boat is stored on the trailer out of the water but not near electricity and 2 hours from me and my dealer.

I was thinking of just running anti-freeze through the system using a home made fake a lake whenever I pull the boat out of the water until I go for the complete winterization. I empty the ballast but will water in the ballast lines potentially freeze and split the hose after 8 hours at 30 degrees?

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
If all you're concerned about is freezing, I'd just pull the hoses at the low end, drain the engine and ballast (not sure about the ballast lines), pull the kill switch, spin the engine over to get the water out of the pump housing, then drag the trailer up and down some hills for 5 or ten minutes. Pulling the hoses and plugs shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and could probably be done in as little as 5 minute if you have a socket wrench and a nut driver for the hose clamps.

vision
10-09-2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I was thinking the same but did not know if pulling the hoses and cranking the motor a few times would get enough water out of the cooling lines. It sure would be easier than pumping in anti-freeze.

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 03:21 PM
As far as removing water, it's all I do when I winterize, but that includes driving the boat around on the trailer for a bit to let gravity have its way with the water.

As for the ballast lines and heater lines if you have them, I think that requires some mechanical advantage to flush.