PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pitting

KBryant2007
10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
My Prostar 209 spent most of the summer in the water. (Just easier, and I ended up using it a lot more). Next summer, I'm looking into a lift, but today I noticed that my rudder had deterioration on both sides near the front. Looks like some form of oxidation. I was able to smooth it off, but it still left where it was attacking the metal. Several years of this and it would cause some serious damage.

I've heard of this in salt water, but this is a very clean fresh water lake. I know I/O and outboards have some type of metal to prevent this.

Any ideas for an inboard?

Chief
10-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Mine looked the same after a week in the water.

TMCNo1
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
My Prostar 209 spent most of the summer in the water. (Just easier, and I ended up using it a lot more). Next summer, I'm looking into a lift, but today I noticed that my rudder had deterioration on both sides near the front. Looks like some form of oxidation. I was able to smooth it off, but it still left where it was attacking the metal. Several years of this and it would cause some serious damage.

I've heard of this in salt water, but this is a very clean fresh water lake. I know I/O and outboards have some type of metal to prevent this.

Any ideas for an inboard?
Check out this past thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1215&highlight=pitting

Just do a advanced search using the word "pitting". There are several threads over the last couple years on the subject.