PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots!

MC2000190
10-08-2007, 05:24 PM
OK, I just waxed my boat but noticed that I have water spots all over. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them or any product for removing water spots?

ttu
10-08-2007, 05:29 PM
i have found two different products that work well. first one is hot sauce by boatbling.net (works great but stinks)

2nd one which is my favorite is babesboats.com spot solver.

G-man
10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
1/3 white vinegar with 2/3 water spray on, dry off, or you may have to use a cleaner wax or fine grit compound then wax again

vogelm1
10-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Babe's Boat Product's "spot solver" works great. It'll take off the most stubborn water spots just by spraying it on, leaving it soak for a minute then wiping down or rinsing with water. All their products are great as a matter of fact.

Babesboats.com

WTRSK1R
10-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I"ll second the vinegar and water. However, if you waxed in the water spots it may be too late for the vinegar. You may need to strip the wax off to get the water spots off, or just leave it for now and start using the vinegar solution until the wax eventually wears off. I spray my boat down with the mix after every use and dry it off. It takes the hard water right off and leaves a nice shine in between wash and waxing.

MC2000190
10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I cant wait to try them!

russfortin
10-11-2007, 10:07 PM
CLR works great too and SOS pads on the windows

rektek
10-11-2007, 10:11 PM
get yourself a small hand pump garden sprayer, hit the boat every time you pull it out, it just take a few minutes. spray on let it sit for a few and wipe off.

School Skier
10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Babes spot remover.

tex
10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Inga takes care of my waterspots!

Leroy
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Take 10 minutes and wipe down everytime you are done with 50/50 water/vinegar.

shepherd
10-12-2007, 10:29 AM
get yourself a small hand pump garden sprayer, hit the boat every time you pull it out, it just take a few minutes. spray on let it sit for a few and wipe off.

Take 10 minutes and wipe down everytime you are done with 50/50 water/vinegar.

So, are you guys saying to spray the vinegar mix on the boat right after you pull it out, while it's still wet? We always wipe the boat down with a towel to dry it off after we pull it out. Should we spray on the vinegar before we do that? Sounds easy enough.

tex
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
So, are you guys saying to spray the vinegar mix on the boat right after you pull it out, while it's still wet? We always wipe the boat down with a towel to dry it off after we pull it out. Should we spray on the vinegar before we do that? Sounds easy enough.
Yes, pull boat out and spray mix on while still wet.

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
White vinegar will remove the wax along with the water spots. For those of you doing this, are you waxing afterwards?

I always just used a damp towel to wipe down and never had trouble with water spots. We may just have softer water here I suppose.

Maristar210
10-12-2007, 11:35 AM
White vinegar will remove the wax along with the water spots. For those of you doing this, are you waxing afterwards?

I always just used a damp towel to wipe down and never had trouble with water spots. We may just have softer water here I suppose.

Eastie,

I notice it takes about three wipe downs with the 50/50 to strip the wax off and make the hull squeekly (needs wax) so no I do not wax each time but after three or so I do....

I just did and between that and the other activites related to the other site man am I sore... :D

east tx skier
10-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Eastie,

I notice it takes about three wipe downs with the 50/50 to strip the wax off and make the hull squeekly (needs wax) so no I do not wax each time but after three or so I do....

I just did and between that and the other activites related to the other site man am I sore... :D

The buffer is for the boat only!

I didn't figure it would remove it in one application, but figured it was worth mentioning. Especially for those boats stored on a lift, I'd rather have a few water spots than sun fade.

No Skeez
10-12-2007, 12:00 PM
What we have found to work the best (at least here in our Wisconsin waters) is a solution of 20% Vinegar to 80% water. This is strong enough to cut any dirt and waterspots, but not too abrasive that it strips the wax off. Pick up a $2.00 spray bottle at your local hardware store, mix up a bottle of 20 / 80 and spray the boat down every time it comes out of the water while it's still wet. Be generous when spraying it down. You should get approximately 10 - 15 uses before it will really need a coat of wax. The nice thing about the vinegar and water is that you can spray it on everything, from the hull to the windows to the deck to even the seats. I keep a bottle in the bed of my truck in a milk crate with a bunch of towels, and that way it's always there ready to go!

Hope this helps!

bigmac
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I had my boat detailed (at $13/foot). The hull looked great except for the black stripe, which showed the water spots that couldn't be seen on the white or yellow portions of the gelcoat. I took it back to the detailer and requested that he fix that. It required some Slimy Grimy and rewaxing, but he did it with a smile on his face (albeit, a rather forced one). A learning experience for both of us.

I don't think you can remove water spots without removing the overlying wax. IMHO, minimum elbow grease for water spot removal is with an acid wash - usually requires nothing more than a dauber and a garden hose.

No Skeez
10-12-2007, 12:17 PM
To clarify, we start the season with a freshly waxed boat with no water spots. As the season continues and the wax is removed, we reapply the wax again to a clean hull with no water spots. By keeping enough of a protective coat of wax on the hull, the water spots have nothing to adhere to, thereby allowing easy removal with the 20 / 80 mix discussed earlier... And with very little elbow grease required!

loeweb
10-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I use Distilled water in a spray bottle. takes off spots on windshield, and the hull without taking the wax off. Obviously its just water so the wax will stay. I would recommend using the vinegar and water (strong on the vinegar) to take the wax and spots off, rewax, and start using distilled water every time you pull out (boat).

Leroy
10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I added some liquid wax to my latest vinegar/water batch and that works well also. Not the same as waxing with the buffer, but you can tell you have wax there.

PaulW
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
I like the Babes boat bright as well. Nice not to strip the wax with vinegar and water. It even has an spf for the sun.