PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use BoatU.S. for their insurance?

rholmes
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Boat Owners Assoc. of the U.S. Looking at insurance policies and these guys had the best price. Anyone use them or have any experience? TIA.

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes. I've used them for years. The only thing I had to 'use' was the add on towing coverage. They paid to have my tow vehicle towed (it broke down) while we were able to hook the boat up to a friends tow vehicle.

rholmes
10-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Do you suggest the Yacht or boat savers level of membership?

Chas
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
I used Boat US years ago for an off-shore boat we had. We had to be towed in from the Channel Islands after the engine seized up suddenly.

We called "Vessel Assist" on the VHF and they were there in under an hour, and towed us all the way to our slip which was deep into the keys (Oxnard, CA).

I paid Vessel Assist via Credit Card - they had a cellular card machine on the boat. I called Boat US on Monday morning, faxed in a copy of the bill, which was over $600, and I had a check in my hand by Thursday.

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
I've had Boat US insurance on my last three boats and have had a couple of claims along the way. They are top notch. No hassle on the repair shop I wanted to use or what the cost was to repair. Stay away from the insurance co. that starts with a P. They are cheaper, but can be a real pain to deal with. Last thing I want is a hassle after I've got a problem that needs to be taken care of pronto.

TheOneandOnly
10-08-2007, 09:10 PM
P as in ?? Progressive? anyone use country insurance?

Chief
10-08-2007, 10:25 PM
I use to have Boat US on the old Prostar 205 but with the Maristar they quoted me about $1100.00 and of course I said no. I was with Ski Safe but thier coverages are less than desirable. Went with Progressive and about six franklins.

lanier92prostar
10-08-2007, 11:22 PM
We use State Farm, but I have been looking around. We are happy with Progressive with our 5th wheel and are leaning towards them.

Eagle Lake Rebel
10-09-2007, 02:37 AM
P as in Progressive would be correct. They may be fine in other areas of the US but not around here. I would recommend calling a couple of good shops in your area and get their 2 cents, they work with all these companies on a regular basis and know who is good and who to avoid.

P-hat_in_Cincy
10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Do you suggest the Yacht or boat savers level of membership?

I could only tell you what I have, but still...there has been no need for me to make a claim to date (knocking on wood right now).

Be sure what the coverages are. Sometimes all the 'miscellaneous items' (stereos, boards, ropes, gps, etc...) are to be considered separately and should not be rolled into the base coverage amount for the boat. The 'boat' should only represent the core items of the boat. Read the policy...

stuartmcnair
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
The prices are great and the one time I have had to use them (boat sank - it was in the boathouse and got swamped) they were great. They gave me a great payout on my boat and were always pleasant to deal with.