PDA

View Full Version : Footin 1st Time

MCXSS
10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Well the water was calm on Sat, so I decided to try footin for the first time. I went off a boom on a friends boat. I got up first time and went about 100 yards or so before I flipped back and was dragging again. Second try I went half way around the lake. Standing on the water was so cool! After that I took a couple of pretty nasty falls as I got tired and hit some waves. Sunday we went out again and I got up right away and again went half way around trhe lake befoe hitting some waves. My son saw me do it and got inspired and went almost around the entire lake. Well at 50 years old I found a new addiction! I'm sore today, but can't wait to try it again. Maybe off a short line off the beam soon.

tex
10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Way to go!!!!

Mag_Red
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Well the water was calm on Sat, so I decided to try footin for the first time. I went off a boom on a friends boat. I got up first time and went about 100 yards or so before I flipped back and was dragging again. Second try I went half way around the lake. Standing on the water was so cool! After that I took a couple of pretty nasty falls as I got tired and hit some waves. Sunday we went out again and I got up right away and again went half way around trhe lake befoe hitting some waves. My son saw me do it and got inspired and went almost around the entire lake. Well at 50 years old I found a new addiction! I'm sore today, but can't wait to try it again. Maybe off a short line off the beam soon.
same age as I was when I learned. Way to go!:cool:

lassy
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
nice work!
a couple weeks ago i tried footin for the first time. we deep water started in a suit off from the tower. i was able to plane out and sit up on my butt....but as soon as i tried to lock my feet down i'd go out of control. any advice on getting past this next step?

MCXSS
10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I recommend using a boom. That way you can ease your weight onto your feet pulling up less with your arms. Also, when you wipe out you can remain holding the boom (in a dragging position) then just flip yourself back around. You can do this over and over until your arms or abs give out. I haven't tried it yet, but hear the next step is to use a short rope off the boom.

Thanks for the congrats. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only crazy one to start footin at this age. It was pretty cool to watch the faces of the younger skiers when I was up and smiling at them!

87MCProstar
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
AWESOME JOB!!! always great to hear someone new into the sport

jbfootin
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM
nice work!
a couple weeks ago i tried footin for the first time. we deep water started in a suit off from the tower. i was able to plane out and sit up on my butt....but as soon as i tried to lock my feet down i'd go out of control. any advice on getting past this next step?
try to just touch your feet to the water. Think of staying in the 3 point stance (2 feet and your butt). The friction of the water and the pull of the boat will bring you to your feet with your butt off the water. If you try to stand up, you will go out the front. Also make sure you bend your knees. Bring your heels in toward your butt. If your legs are straight out in front your will be digging in your heels too much.

Hope this helps...if you have access to a boom would help alot also, but if you are planning out and getting to your butt, you are almost there!

peason
10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Congrats. Way to go! I sure is fun. I took my last couple of runs a week ago- just winterized the boat yesterday. I would love to extend the season more - but with all of the kids sports and the sun going down earlier and earlier it was time to call it quits on the season. Can't wait till next spring!

jraben8
10-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Welcome to the addiction...

6ballsisall
10-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Congrats Steve! Careful, footin is VERY Addicting!! ;)

MCXSS
10-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks Jeff. Too late to heed your warning, I'm already addicted, and now looking for a boom for our boat. Can't wait to try footin off the X-7. I figure we can get a few more weeks in before winterizing. Calm water and not many boats makes this a great time to learn.

peason
10-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Where are you in the midwest? There was a boom for sale on Craigslist in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market the other day.

MCXSS
10-09-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm in southern WI, just over the IL boarder. Is the market you mentioned available online?

peason
10-10-2007, 08:02 AM
www.craigslist.org - I was asking if you were near the Twin Cities - craigslist is an online classified add website. It has listings for locations all over the US, obviously you would be closer to Chicago or Milwaukee.
I look at the boat section every day!