PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a engine

drbesvold1
10-07-2007, 10:38 PM
is it safe to use a degreaser on the engine and use a power washer to get the engine clean?

rektek
10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
done properly I don't see any problems, bag the carb and electrical items like dist etc. watch where you put that wand, protect the rest of your boat with plastic, tarps whatever. a hotsy washer would be ideal.

you will take the paint off as well so are you planning to repaint the engine ?

drbesvold1
10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
done properly I don't see any problems, bag the carb and electrical items like dist etc. watch where you put that wand, protect the rest of your boat with plastic, tarps whatever. a hotsy washer would be ideal.

you will take the paint off as well so are you planning to repaint the engine ? no i just rebuilt the engine and want to get all the oil and grease off the engine and in the hull area and make it look nice and clean

rektek
10-08-2007, 12:21 AM
why is there grease and oil all over a rebuilt engine ?

drbesvold1
10-08-2007, 06:47 AM
why is there grease and oil all over a rebuilt engine ?cause it was a very dirty job taking the guts out and replacing them with new guts

prostar205
10-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Another way that works great is to use Scrubbing Bubbles (I like the lemon scented version). Spray is on the engine so that it foams up really good. Let is it there for about 5 minutes and then wash it off with a garden hose turned on very low. No mess from high pressure water and the engine will look and smell great.

I do this to the engine in my Expedition and I would eat off of it after its done.