PDA

View Full Version : X star bow seat hydraulic lift broken

vision
10-07-2007, 09:50 PM
While shutting the port side bow seat on our 2008 X star, the hydraulic lifter deck mount broke off from the fiberglass. On inspection, I was disturbed to see that the lift was attached only to the end of the fiberglass with no alluminum support.

Has anyone else had a bow seat lifter break off and does anyone know if the 2008 is a new lifter design? Thanks.

I will take to the dealer next week. I hope this is a warranty item. if not, I will definitely repair the fiberglass and rivet in aluminum supports.

Jim@BAWS
10-07-2007, 10:04 PM
It is a WARRANTY item

Where are you located?

Thanks

Jim@BAWS

vision
10-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I am in NC and have a good local dealer. Seems like a design prone to failure and I was curious if it was a known problem and whether I was just unlucky?

cdawake
10-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Wait... what does this "seat lift" do??? I haven't seen the '08s yet... ;)

vision
10-07-2007, 11:56 PM
The hydraulic lifter that helps open and close the bow seats. I was not sure if the hydraulic lift design, specifically its mount, had changed. Seems like a weak mount prone to break.

Jerseydave
10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
That's a bummer, but I'm sure your dealer will fix you up.

I'm going to check my '05 X-star to see if it might be a potential problem.

Got any pics of your new X-star?

pmott
10-09-2007, 12:07 AM
My 2006 x-star was delivered from the factory with one of the bow seat lifts completely broken out of the fiberglass. In fact, the lift wasn't even left in the boat. It was obviously known before it left the factory but no one bothered to tell the dealer or me. I discovered it after I took delivery. Dealer fixed it over the winter under warranty.

michael freeman
10-09-2007, 01:00 AM
My 2006 x-star was delivered from the factory with one of the bow seat lifts completely broken out of the fiberglass. In fact, the lift wasn't even left in the boat. It was obviously known before it left the factory but no one bothered to tell the dealer or me. I discovered it after I took delivery. Dealer fixed it over the winter under warranty.

That stuff needs to be reported and someone needs to get in trouble. That is unacceptable to hide defects at the factory. :mad:

vision
10-09-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree. Mastercraft is an excellent company. But, I dare say they have had quality control issue the last 2 to 3 years. I will be the first to admit that I hold MC to a higher standard than almost any other boat manufacturer, but for the price of their product, minor and even some major quality problems are unacceptable. It bothers me that this design may be problematic and has not been addressed. It reminds me of the water intake hose problem in 06/07, the X star tower problem, the 2008 video gauge (which I love) problems.

SDAhockey21
10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
When we got our 2007 X2 SS, the check valves for the self bailing cockpit where mounted backwards, doing just the opposite of what it was suposed to do, it let water in, instead of out...??? They even had arrows on them the said FLOW... I mean come on!

chaseandrews
10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
my 2006 X-Star did the same.... although mine was caused from the center ballast getting kinked and overexpanding the tank to crack the boat in a few places.... but from the flex of that it broke the arm off of the seat base.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=85535&imageID=18941260