PDA

View Full Version : Scum Line Removal

KBryant2007
10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
It was a sad day, but I decided to pull my boat out and begin preparation for the winter. Water temp is still in the high 70's, but cooler weather is on its way.

Anyway, the bottom of my boat is white followed by a yellow stripe and the remainder black.

The white area is where it sat in the water from about the 4th of July to now. It has a slight brown ring from the water line.

What's the preferred way to get rid of this brown ring. Tried wax and it didn't see to have an effect. :confused:

dmayer84
10-07-2007, 08:35 PM
We get it on our boat every year, just from the water. I had the hull washed by the dealer. Mix of acid wash with a hot water pressure washer.

Bruce
10-07-2007, 08:54 PM
StarBrite hull cleaner workd great for me. However do a search there is a lot of info on this sublect. Some very recent.

bigmac
10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Acid wash works best. MaryKate's On-Off, or Slimy Grimy. SG is safer to use - very effective at the water line scum and hard water spots.

atlfootr
10-07-2007, 09:25 PM
It was a sad day, but I decided to pull my boat out and begin preparation for the winter. Water temp is still in the high 70's, but cooler weather is on its way.

Anyway, the bottom of my boat is white followed by a yellow stripe and the remainder black.

The white area is where it sat in the water from about the 4th of July to now. It has a slight brown ring from the water line.

What's the preferred way to get rid of this brown ring. Tried wax and it didn't see to have an effect. :confused:Use SNOBOL :D
FYI WEAR RUBBER GLOVES
WILL EAT SKIN

cdawake
10-07-2007, 10:50 PM
I like to not use such powerful products. Try "409" with a rag, and see how it works. Its nicer on the finish... :D

cdawake
10-07-2007, 10:53 PM
and btw.... a cleaner called "simple green" also works too... its more powerful and leaves the gelcoat shining

fintek9
10-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I use the "WORKS" toilet bowl cleaner(do laugh until you try it!) It is a form of acid wash, I start at the gel coat color brake (stay clear of the decal) and let it slid down the sides it will be GONE! have the hose at hand to dilute it when done, takes a whopping 10 minutes to do my boat!! HAS NOT DONE A THING to my gel coat!

bigmac
10-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Acid washes are pretty simple to apply - just use a dauber...no need to do much, if any, scrubbing. Do a 3 foot section of hull, let it sit about 30 seconds then rinse liberally with water. Be careful where the waste water goes...it will etch concrete, or at the minimum destroy the sealer. Also, watch out for the trailer and make sure it gets rinsed thoroughly, and that especially includes carpeted bunks. If those get soaked with acid, it can destroy the carpeting as well as leave acid sitting next to the boat. These acids won't hurt the gelcoat at all, but gelcoat is porous. Also, note that it will act on metals, so be careful of trailer wheels and especially the window frames, rub rail, or stainless steel fittings. It will strip wax, so wax right afterward. I use RejeX, which is a polymer sealant - water spots/mineral deposits can't get ahold and come off easily. The reason I like Slimy Grimy is that it works as well, but is more dilute acid and doesn't cause all of that potential damage. I do keep a few bottles of On-Off around, but haven't had to use that powerful stuff in years.

Toilet bowl cleaners are usually oxalic acid too, and a lot of people recommend those, usually diluted, because they're so readily available. Probably cheaper too, but my dealer always has On-Off and Slimy Grimy on the shelf, and personally, I'd rather use something actually designed for gelcoat use and not have to guess at the proper dilutions. The cost difference isn't enough to worry about for something I do only every couple of years.

KBryant2007
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I used Simple Green and some elbow grease and it did the trick. I'm following up with a couple coats of wax for a nice slick finish.

defender1009
10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I've always had excellent results using a product called Roll-off. It's biodegradable too.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2338&familyName=Roll-Off+Amazing+Marine+Cleaner

Crash
10-15-2007, 01:30 AM
As posted in 2005..."Last weekend I tried a chemical my neighbor (Malibu driver) uses on his baby all the time to clean the scum stain (Fox River) off the hull. I was shocked!!!!! It wiped right off!! (Actually the slower you wipe the cleaner it gets.) I had no idea my hull was that white! Ever since I bought it, it always had a slight off white look to it and I thought thats what color it was. The week before, it was sitting in a scum creek and stained the hull pretty bad so I tried it. It's 50% Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner and 50% Hydrogen Peroxide. Just in case... I immediately washed down and wiped with vinger, soon to follow with wax."

Pictures of before and after are on post #27 at:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ighlight=lysol (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=957&highlight=lysol)

beatle78
10-15-2007, 07:24 AM
As posted in 2005..."Last weekend I tried a chemical my neighbor (Malibu driver) uses on his baby all the time to clean the scum stain (Fox River) off the hull. I was shocked!!!!! It wiped right off!! (Actually the slower you wipe the cleaner it gets.) I had no idea my hull was that white! Ever since I bought it, it always had a slight off white look to it and I thought thats what color it was. The week before, it was sitting in a scum creek and stained the hull pretty bad so I tried it. It's 50% Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner and 50% Hydrogen Peroxide. Just in case... I immediately washed down and wiped with vinger, soon to follow with wax."

Pictures of before and after are on post #27 at:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...ighlight=lysol (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=957&highlight=lysol)

CRASH, I like it!

I always use ON/OFF to turn my black scum filled hull white again, but this is a good trick to have to work the stains out if there are still some there when I'm done!

BG1772
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I've always had excellent results using a product called Roll-off. It's biodegradable too.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2338&familyName=Roll-Off+Amazing+Marine+Cleaner

I just picked up some roll-off based on a friends recommendation. I used it to clean my upholstery and it looks fantastic. Such a simple product to use. Wipe down the upholstery with a damp cloth, spray on and let sit for a few minutes. Then wipe off and dry. Gets all the dirt out of the "grain" of the upholstery and returns all the stiching to white.

I have also used to remove the skum line off the boat.

This is a highly recommended product and Jamestown dstributors is a great supplier. Good price and reasonable shipping.

Smoothie
07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Is this the product your talking about??? Many cleaners at the store said works just did not know which WORKS you were talking about.

http://www.theworkscleans.com/toiletcleaner.html

I use the "WORKS" toilet bowl cleaner(do laugh until you try it!) It is a form of acid wash, I start at the gel coat color brake (stay clear of the decal) and let it slid down the sides it will be GONE! have the hose at hand to dilute it when done, takes a whopping 10 minutes to do my boat!! HAS NOT DONE A THING to my gel coat!

BG1772
08-01-2009, 08:22 AM
That is the works cleaner I have been using for years. DO NOT get the gel kind -- it stained my hull a light blue. Cleaner wax took the blue right off, but it was a little scary when it happened.

bigmac
08-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I've never understood the use of toilet bowl cleaners (which are designed for use on porcelain) on a boat when cleaner/acid washes designed for use on gelcoat are so readily available.

cdm
08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Ironout. its a white powder, smells like crap but scum is gone on contact..

Smoothie
08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
I used the works stuff and it worked great. I assume the toilet bowl cleaners are dramatically cheaper???? I know compared to Star Bright 14.37 for 32 oz. The Works 2.14 for 32 oz. I do wish it was a spray to help with coating. Maybe using a sponge with gloves might help. BIGMAC what is it that you use?

PhotoInc
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I used the works stuff and it worked great. I assume the toilet bowl cleaners are dramatically cheaper???? I know compared to Star Bright 14.37 for 32 oz. The Works 2.14 for 32 oz. I do wish it was a spray to help with coating. Maybe using a sponge with gloves might help. BIGMAC what is it that you use?

My boat gets a bad scum line too from being in the water so long. I have to say I use the Snobol, put it in a pump sprayer from Home Depot. I walk around the boat spraying the scum line, by the time I get back to where I started..... the scum line is gone, I grab the hose and rinse, takes about ten minuets. Gelcoat is nice and shiney new, on a 22 year old boat.

SRussell
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I am cleaning up a used boat that I just bought last week. Been working on the oxidation and the scum line. No telling how long it has been since it was properly cleaned. By the looks of the gelcoat it has been a while. Anyway, the meguires oxidation remover works pretty well on both but I decided to try the starbright hull cleaner to save some elbow grease for the wax job. It was miraculous. I used a cloth to spread it on the hull and then had my wife go behind me and rinse. Let it sit for maybe a minute (bottle says 2 minutes but that made me nervous) before rinsing and it is bright white again.

Smoothie
08-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Do you dilute it with water at all? Was thinking of diluting the works stuff a bit. See how it works. While were at it my boat sits outside under a cover what do you guys use to clean your seats and when it does get mold I live in Florida what do you use to clean it. I have white seats which seems to be a bit of a nightmare.

My boat gets a bad scum line too from being in the water so long. I have to say I use the Snobol, put it in a pump sprayer from Home Depot. I walk around the boat spraying the scum line, by the time I get back to where I started..... the scum line is gone, I grab the hose and rinse, takes about ten minuets. Gelcoat is nice and shiney new, on a 22 year old boat.

PhotoInc
08-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Do you dilute it with water at all? Was thinking of diluting the works stuff a bit. See how it works. While were at it my boat sits outside under a cover what do you guys use to clean your seats and when it does get mold I live in Florida what do you use to clean it. I have white seats which seems to be a bit of a nightmare.

I have white seats too... in FLA. I've used Kaboom to clean the seats and the scum line, a buddy just told me to try the Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner on the seats for the mold.
And no I don't dilute it

jbfootin
08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Liquid Bar Keepers Friend works awsome as well

gimmemoedmb
08-04-2009, 06:00 PM
I just bought a boat that had a fairly light scum line. I used the star brite instant hull cleaner and it worked great. I started spraying it on but it was a really windy day so I was getting overspray on myself which I did not like. I switched to a sponge and it worked great, plus I think I used A LOT less product by using the sponge. I just sponged it on and hosed it off.

kevkan
08-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Anyone else ever used Lime-away to get rid of water spots? I've done this a time or two, and was planning on doing it this fall. Is this bad for gelcoat?

wkrav467
08-05-2009, 03:11 AM
I ride in a area where the water always turns the white on my boat into light brown. I use the same thing I have used for 6 years and it works great wipe on rinse and soap off no elbow greese at all and it turns it back to new. Its called FSR its a blue gel almost neon looking, but I have tried all the other things everyone else on this link has listed and nothing works better and it has not affected my gelcoat at all. Here is a link to it you can get it just about anywhere that sells boat cleaning supplies. It takes very little on a rag. http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,18722.htm