PDA

View Full Version : Paint removal from truck

Chief
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Some A%%Hat in my hood decided to dispose of about 10 to 20 gallons of baby blue paint in his garbage. The garbage truck picks up the paint then when they crush it to make more room for the hoods garbage it starts leaking out of the truck and then the refuse engineers proceed to complete the job of picking up the rest of the hoods garbage, tracking it all over the roads.

So here I come with my shiny new Tundra. Need anymore? I have that paint all over my truck and it's pretty dry now. I tried a small spot of goof off to see if it would remove it and it will, but it seemed to make the clear coat a little tacky.

Any ideas? I'm going to call the garbage picker uppers tomorrow and see about filing a claim since you would have had to be blind to miss all the paint coming out of the truck!

Lava red with small specks of baby blue paint. Crap!

Thanks in advance.

Chief
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Bump! Anyone?

JimN
10-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Water based latex or oil based? Now that I see you tried Goof-Off, never mind.

Before you do anything, call the sanitation company and your insurance. Let them have a chat about what they'll do about it.

cbryan70
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
ummmmm....gas, kerosine, charcole lighter fluid, the lighter fluid is the least harsh

bigmac
10-07-2007, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't even touch it with any kind of chemical unless I couldn't get anything out of the garbage company's insurance company, or failing that, out of yours. Did you get a police report when you found the paint spatters? Photos? Photos of the paint tracks around the "'hood"?

Hope so...

DemolitionMan
10-07-2007, 10:52 PM
laquer thinner but make sure you wax it right away.

fintek9
10-07-2007, 11:12 PM
What Bigmac said, Don't do nothing yet, the paint wont hurt nothing except your pride for now. Get police to see it! get pictures! get ahold of that disposal company. Your Tundy will shine again!

Chief
10-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I knew I could get some sound advice out of you mugs. I'm going to call the garbage company in the morning and take some pictures of the blue tire tracks running through the neighborhood.

Thanks brothers

cdstukey
10-07-2007, 11:39 PM
My truck, as well as a few others got sprayed with a masonry sealer on a jobsite once. The paint contractor picked up the tab to have a detailer remove the overspray (clear, but covered 3/4 of my truck with a nice texture). The detailer uced a clay bar to go over everything except the tail and headlights. Was good as new when he was done.

Roonie's
10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Similar story for me but not as bad. I ran over a couple of road lines in my neighborhood that had been freshly painted. There was no signs to tell me so. It splattered white paint up the side of my vehicle on one side. I used a solid plastic piece to scrape it off. I got most of it but that stuff really sticks.

Prostar Rich
10-08-2007, 10:24 AM
My truck, as well as a few others got sprayed with a masonry sealer on a jobsite once. The paint contractor picked up the tab to have a detailer remove the overspray (clear, but covered 3/4 of my truck with a nice texture). The detailer uced a clay bar to go over everything except the tail and headlights. Was good as new when he was done.

I would second the clay bar. I have used a clay bar to remove over spray with great results. I too would contact the garbage hauler to inquire about filing a claim first.

Prostar Rich