PDA

View Full Version : Manifold Drain Plugs

rpliska
10-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Has anyone had trouble removing the manifold drain plugs? I havve done everything else to winterize my boat but cannot get them out. The plugs are a square fitting but they are smaller than a 3/8" driver and larger than a 1/4". I can't seem to find such a tool. Is this normal?

WilliM1940
10-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Don't think its normal, mine are replacement from Skidim and are 1/2" drive as were the originals. Even so, it was not possible to get mine out at first because of access problems and they had never been out (indoor storage previous owner). Unless you are storing in a warm area, they must come out, I used a small pipe wrench and cheater bar, there was enough of the plug exposed to grab on to. Get new ones, wrap with teflon tape before insertion next spring.

east tx skier
10-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Try some PB blaster. I use channel locks to get them off. I wrap them in teflon tape when I reinstall, which seemed to make it easier the next time around.

Jesus_Freak
10-09-2007, 06:19 AM
I was having trouble also last season with the manifold plugs. Someone (dont remember who, possibly JimN) suggested to me that I install brass fittings that allow a rubber hose to be connected between the two manifolds. That way, when it is time to drain, I simply remove hose clamps. Much easier...

ski_king
10-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I never removed mine until 2 years ago after reading you should on this board and I had no problem getting them out.
Theye were in for 22 years and other than flushing out a little rust, everything was fine.
Now part of my yearly winterization routine.

bigmac
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
I believe those are 3/4 NPT fittings. MasterCraft, in their current boats, uses a 3/4 inch hose that's looped under the engine from manifold to manifold. That hose is broken in the middle and has a 3/4 garden-hose type fitting (male and female) in the middle. Draining the manifold is then as simple as unscrewing the garden hose fitting and letting both halves drain.

Other option is to replace each plug with a petcock fitting...SkiDim sells 'em (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM003)...

http://www.skidim.com/images/21905.jpg

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I believe those are 3/4 NPT fittings. MasterCraft, in their current boats, uses a 3/4 inch hose that's looped under the engine from manifold to manifold. That hose is broken in the middle and has a 3/4 garden-hose type fitting (male and female) in the middle. Draining the manifold is then as simple as unscrewing the garden hose fitting and letting both halves drain.

Other option is to replace each plug with a petcock fitting...

Correct. They are 3/4 NPT (the block is 1/4" NPT).

G-man
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
my concern with the drain pictured above is it leaves some water in the manifold because the hole is smaller than the whole plug

east tx skier
10-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree. I would got with plugs all the way around and ditch the petcocks and quick disconnects. I have seen my father in law's petcocks get clogged pretty easily.

Willski
10-09-2007, 10:48 AM
I have had trouble in the past. They are tough to remove sometimes, but now I use a little anti-sieze on them and haven't had near the trouble.

Engine Nut
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I agree. I would got with plugs all the way around and ditch the petcocks and quick disconnects. I have seen my father in law's petcocks get clogged pretty easily.

Indmar has a kit for that, P/N 495098. Your dealer can get it for you.
I have attached a photo of the kit.

Engine Nut